Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573346 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2805 on: 15:45:07, 10/12/19 »
The weather at the moment, is so poor on the western parts of the Uk, that i very much doubt anyone would consider going out for a walk,
Visited my friend in Deganwy yesterday afternoon, very high SW winds with intermittent heavy rain.

Weather is more than rubbish, stay at home and keep warm,  Snowdonia has been there for close on a billion years, it will certainly be there when the weather is nicer.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2806 on: 16:13:50, 10/12/19 »
That may be good advice for some but I rather like the challenge that poor weather brings  O0
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2807 on: 17:42:51, 10/12/19 »
I did venture out to the shop in the village, this morning, but even dressed in my full waterproof gear, i got soaked to the skin.
The high winds and heavy rain, crossing the road in front of my house, was so heavy, that even walking the three miles there and back, the rain saturated my clothing.

I recon i would have been soaked to the skin, even if i had been wearing a wetsuit, the rain is still throwing it down, as i write this.

I just cannot imagine battling through similar conditions on the Carneddau main ridge, or up the Llanberis Path to the summit of Snowdon.

Imagine traversing Dartmoor in such weather.

Testing ones abilities is one thing, but doing it whilst soaking wet, and not being able to take shelter, that's no fun at all.

Walking and testing ones ability in the mountains is meant to be enjoyed,

The forecast for the entire week, here in the National Park is for very unsettled conditions, with storm force winds for much of the week.

The high winds have not really dropped since last Friday, they have subsided a bit, but then grown in intensity, with Sunday night being mayhem outside.

I for one, will not be going walkies this week, and the lure of Moelfre or Diffwys has lost its magic, the weather is that bad.

Hadrian

« Reply #2808 on: 15:35:08, 22/12/19 »
A leisurely circular walk today following the long carriage drive near Cragside at Rothbury in Northumberland. Coquetdale bathed in winter sunshine.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2809 on: 18:30:24, 22/12/19 »
Out with the Moorland Ramblers on Dartmoor today.  What a beautiful place it is to walk. :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2810 on: 19:36:59, 22/12/19 »
I visited Maidstone, Kent today, difficult in some places and lots of really sticky gooey mud.! For those who know it, this is Teston Bridge and the river is the Medway. Just a couple of miles along towards Maidstone there is another bridge at East Farleigh which looks very similar. To see Teston Bridge in a different light, watch the original Dunkirk film starring John Mills. In the film, the British blew it up as they retreated. The scene is in the first 15 minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/22/pm-urged-to-overhaul-flood-defence-funding-or-risk-catastrophe

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2811 on: 21:12:06, 23/12/19 »
A leisurely circular walk today following the long carriage drive near Cragside at Rothbury in Northumberland. Coquetdale bathed in winter sunshine.

Stunning colours, Hadrian.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2812 on: 22:23:38, 23/12/19 »
Smashing photo Hadrian  O0

I know that area well, it is close to Newcastle so I walked there a lot when I lived there.
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2813 on: 22:32:50, 23/12/19 »
Off to the Malvern Hills :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2814 on: 08:39:02, 24/12/19 »
Off to the Malvern Hills :)

Nice - I remember catching a train from Birmingham and walking the length of the Malvern Hills on my birthday with a group of friends many years ago.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2815 on: 11:02:02, 24/12/19 »
Last week, this week and perhaps next I'm down to about a mile or less a day, coping with a nasty running pain at the back of my right calf! For the past few mornings after getting up, it feels as though it's better, but like this morning after about 200yds of slowly and carefully walking its back! Going to get the frozen peas out again, plus an elevated leg sofa routine. I need to somehow get myself back to normal before I leave for my trip to La Palma in early January. Most annoying!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2816 on: 11:32:01, 24/12/19 »
Last week, this week and perhaps next I'm down to about a mile or less a day, coping with a nasty running pain at the back of my right calf! For the past few mornings after getting up, it feels as though it's better, but like this morning after about 200yds of slowly and carefully walking its back! Going to get the frozen peas out again, plus an elevated leg sofa routine. I need to somehow get myself back to normal before I leave for my trip to La Palma in early January. Most annoying!
Could it be a back problem, rather than the calf. My sciatica generally manifests itself in calf pain (and back pain). Some Pilates, yoga or just gentle stretches on the floor could make this go away. I generally find that if I press around the area of the pain, it has no effect (i.e. the pain is not actually there) and this generally points to referred pain from an irritated or trapped nerve.

Hadrian

« Reply #2817 on: 11:59:45, 24/12/19 »
Not strictly this weekend, but on Boxing Day morning I’m joining a Northumberland National Park circular walk along Hadrian’s Wall, starting at Walltown near Greenhead. 6 miles/3 hours.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2818 on: 12:41:03, 24/12/19 »
Not walking but at Whitley Bay on boxing day for the annual North Sea dip.
As I get older I find that it takes longer to plodge in past the knees. Need to be pushed in to get the full body effect nowadays.
Once dried and clothed you seem to stay warm until the end of March, they say!.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Hadrian

« Reply #2819 on: 13:12:00, 24/12/19 »
Not walking but at Whitley Bay on boxing day for the annual North Sea dip.
As I get older I find that it takes longer to plodge in past the knees. Need to be pushed in to get the full body effect nowadays.
Once dried and clothed you seem to stay warm until the end of March, they say!.

You deserve a medal!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy