Author Topic: gps recomendations  (Read 2524 times)

wombat

gps recomendations
« on: 21:52:41, 23/10/17 »
After using a garmin etrex legend c for several years i have just been told i can have a new one for christmas  :-\
The budget is £250 and after looking at the choices i do not know !. Would prefer buttons over touchscreen for usage with gloves. not bothered about maps on it, (too small to read easily ), would like to stay with garmin but open to ideas
Would anyone have any suggestions please :-\ :-\

John Murphy

Re: gps recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 00:07:59, 24/10/17 »
After using a garmin etrex legend c for several years i have just been told i can have a new one for christmas  :-\
The budget is £250 and after looking at the choices i do not know !. Would prefer buttons over touchscreen for usage with gloves. not bothered about maps on it, (too small to read easily ), would like to stay with garmin but open to ideas
Would anyone have any suggestions please :-\ :-\

Personally you can't go wrong with the Garmin 64s @ £199 for a basic unit. With button control not a touchscreen.

Plus look on the internet for CacheMapUK. It is  nearly OS full mapping @ 50K for the all of the UK and a free download.

https://drive.google.com/a/sussar.org/folderview?id=0B-BtzqG8Y_Z0fkwxRm5vOWNjOEdHZGlUTUYzM0p3dEFmaTVMcHowNjBsZ3RXUWh6QzVfMkU&usp=drive_web# [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 09:21:36, 24/10/17 by John Murphy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 06:30:44, 24/10/17 »
I use the Etrex20 with CacheMapsUK and very happy with it.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:14:07, 24/10/17 »
Ditto Etrex 30, no problem reading Birdseye mapping.
Solvitur Ambulando

LMac27

« Reply #4 on: 14:45:52, 24/10/17 »
Hi Guys

Can I please ask, how do the touchscreens on these devices react to water droplets or rain on them. When water hits my Samsung smart phone screen weird things happen, making it very infuriating and possible dangerous to use ( If using it to navigate ).

Thanks

L

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:16:29, 24/10/17 »
My Montana is touch screen. It has a lock screen feature so once you're set up and navigating it's not an issue.  Never had any issues with rain hitting it even when unlocked.
Where there's a will ...

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:38:55, 24/10/17 »
Very happy with my etrex 20 also, does everything I need and prefer it to be button operated rather than touchscreen
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

LMac27

« Reply #7 on: 18:59:46, 24/10/17 »
Can you put 1:25k os maps on  them  ?

John Murphy

« Reply #8 on: 19:19:24, 24/10/17 »
My Montana is touch screen. It has a lock screen feature so once you're set up and navigating it's not an issue.  Never had any issues with rain hitting it even when unlocked.

Montana? The previous post of yours stated you use a Etrex 20 Make up your mind. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Plus the initial enquiry was about a GPS that was not a touchscreen. Montana & Etrex 20/30 (touchscreen) ;)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:34:26, 24/10/17 »
I also use a Montana and find it no problem in rain, I use one of those little rubber tipped pens that I keep tied to the lanyard. I've also had the GPS covered in rime ice with no ill effects, just wiped it off on my jacket.

John Murphy

« Reply #10 on: 20:45:14, 24/10/17 »

On what? The Garmins talked about? Certainly can but will cost a small fortune. ;D ;D ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:58:44, 24/10/17 »

Montana? The previous post of yours stated you use a Etrex 20 Make up your mind. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Plus the initial enquiry was about a GPS that was not a touchscreen. Montana & Etrex 20/30 (touchscreen) ;)

I have both. I mentioned the montana because Lmac asked about touch screens. Do try to keep up.
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:02:05, 24/10/17 »

You can put all sorts of maps on them. Personally I wouldn't use Garmin's OS maps as they're expensive and are raster rather than vector maps, so blur as you zoom in.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:19:20, 24/10/17 »
I use Garmin’s Birdseye mapping to pull down OS maps. They can be zoomed in to 80m to the cm without blurring on my Etrex. Cost is kept down because you can buy so many square km of mapping and then download only the areas you are actually interested in, a bit like MemoryMap but instead of squares you can pull down rectangles. For example, when walking the SW Coastal Path I can download the edges of the coast as a series of rectangles but not the inland or sea areas that I am not going to use.
Solvitur Ambulando

John Murphy

« Reply #14 on: 21:45:55, 24/10/17 »

I have both. I mentioned the montana because Lmac asked about touch screens. Do try to keep up.

Good grief! I, do try ;D  But, I try to  answer an original question! A gps that uses buttons. As for a Montana enough said ::) ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy