Author Topic: shopping for gear........  (Read 2656 times)

kkm

shopping for gear........
« on: 22:50:46, 30/01/08 »
okay - just thought i'd have a brag...... i'm going shopping this weekend for some new boots!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm soooooooooooooooo excited!

i'm going out saturday night in driffield, and nearby in beverley theres apparently a really good outdoors shop, so i'mn taking advantage of it and getting me some new boots. and some good waterproof trousers. and check out the waterproof jackets. yay!!!!!!!!!! :)

i#ll let you know how i go on......... :D

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: shopping for gear........
« Reply #1 on: 23:11:53, 30/01/08 »
What about a new rucksack?....To put it all in.....

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

kkm

« Reply #2 on: 18:37:13, 01/02/08 »
lol - yep that binned as well.......  so yeh, good day sack......... :)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:16:59, 01/02/08 »
... and some smartwool socks.....
>
>
>
>
>
and a hat.....

kkm

« Reply #4 on: 23:34:07, 01/02/08 »
ah! now, i've not got just one hat - i've got two!

got loads of socks as well (thanks mum!) but i really cant find my sealskinz.............

kkm

« Reply #5 on: 21:08:02, 03/02/08 »
shopping trip never materialised due to time constraints...... :(

so put off for another weekend........ :-\

kkm

« Reply #6 on: 23:05:45, 21/02/08 »
ok, so i'm planning a trip to bakewell next week.

does anyone know of any good walking shops in that area? (bakewell/buxton/ashbourne/derby).  what i'm looking for is a shop where people really know their onions - well walking equipment. boots are my main priority. i need a really good pair, but with only size 3/4 feet i think i might struggle a bit. thats why i dont mind travelling a bit to find a good shop.

sorry to keep asking questions, but its really important to me to get the kit right this time. i had so many disasters last year.

cheers guys......

kkm

« Reply #7 on: 23:58:06, 23/02/08 »
hey!!!!!! surely someone should know of some decent walking shops i can try.... please????

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:54:06, 24/02/08 »
Completely out of my area, so Ive no idea, unfortunately.( Just didnt want you to think you were being ignored!) :-[ :-\

kkm

« Reply #9 on: 00:11:14, 27/02/08 »
awww fanks mike  ;)

found another thread which mentions a shop for kids boots in sheffield. as i stay part of the week in rotherham (next door to sheffield) i'm going to try them tomorrow, and get some boots fitted properly with a bit of luck  :)

and yeah, kids boot sellers sound's good as i've only got little feet  ::)

kkm

« Reply #10 on: 23:00:39, 27/02/08 »
to day i became the proud owner of a pair of brasher boots :)

the shop i went to (foothills in sheffield) were really helpful.

i explained what i wanted the boots for etc etc, and the first thing they did was measure my feet with me sitting down (size 3) then stood me up and measured again - measured a size 4 to 4.5. and also the width of my feet.
from there i tried on about 6-8 pairs of boots, and eventually found a pair that worked well for me (the first pair he tried on me). they may have been expensive, but at least i know they should do the job.

they also do a fitting guarantee - and basically 1) let me walk around the shop in them for about half an hour, and 2) suggested wearing them a round the house for a couple of weeks, and if i develop any problems to go back.

so thats what i'm going to do :)

they also do a good range of clothing, and mr KKM was very pleased as he bought himself a very good seal skinz hat  :D

so all in all, a good day, purse very empty, but happy with the purchases.  :)

now to get out and do that all important walking.....  :-)

oh and the shop is owned by Norman Taylor, who also writes walking books.  :)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 01:05:19, 28/02/08 »
Grreattt - You sound pleased. Brasher boots have a good reputation, I think. I'm sure that all three of you will be very happy together.

Whatever you do, don't leave one of your new fabby-whiz boots in a car park, though!  :o

Snowman

« Reply #12 on: 10:30:29, 28/02/08 »
Just a word of warning, I bought a pair of Brasher GTX boots many years ago, and had a bit of a problem with a crease developing over the top of my big toe.    After a few miles that was really causing a lot of pain.   This was mentioned (on this forum I think) some time back and someone else reported the same problem.

I fixed it by getting some leather softener from a local cobbler.    This was a spray foam that worked by spraying the crease on the inside just before walking, and then off I went.    I did this three or four times and now there's no problem.

Otherwise they've been a good pair of boots and still are.    I use them for winter walking as they're quite plain which means they're a lot easier to clean than some of my other boots (like Salomon).

S.

kkm

« Reply #13 on: 10:35:26, 28/02/08 »
thanks for the advice snow man - will watch out to see if any problems occur and report back  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy