Author Topic: Memory Map for PC  (Read 2941 times)

Crag Rat

Memory Map for PC
« on: 16:58:20, 05/09/06 »
As I have mentioned on a previous post I recently purchased Memory Map for the PC and decided that this little gem of a software package was worth it's own topic.

It has features galore!  You can plot your own routes on the screen overlaying ordnanance survey maps at a scale of 1:25k or 1:50k.  These can then be printed as route cards or saved for later.  Not only that but once you have plotted your route you can then take a 3D fly through to get an idea of the scale of ascent and the length of the route.

Memory Map is best used when synced with a GPS unit, you can download routes onto your GPS ensuring that you always follow the correct route or you can upload your route from GPS onto Memory Map and check the exact route that you have walked.

Routes can also be saved and shared with fellow users. So if anyone wants to share some walking routes then let me know!!

If this all sounds intriguing and you just love planning walks and looking at maps then I highly recommend this piece of software. You can dowload a free trial here:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/downloads.htm [nofollow]

The trial is definitely worth a look at as it is fully functionable for 30 days.  When my trial finished I just had to go and buy it.

So, does anyone else use MM???
....because it's there....

JohnM

Re: Memory Map for PC
« Reply #1 on: 17:31:19, 24/11/06 »
I use MM and also find it excellent. I plan all of my walks using it and, so that I am fully prepared I do 3D fly throughs, pint out route cards, profiles, etc before I go and then compare the views with my photos when I return. It really is a most powerful and useful tool.

At the moment I don't have a GPS - but Xmas is coming!! Which cheap & cheerful GPS would anyone recommend and how do they connect to a laptop (USB, etc).

I have heard good reports on the Lowrance ifinder Go2, and Garmin Etrex units - both look good value under £100.00

seanbond

« Reply #2 on: 22:43:05, 24/11/06 »
so how much does multimap set you back i saw prices for 60-70 quid  ???   and an extact tutorial would be helpful as well thanks sean

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:51:56, 03/12/06 »
We use MM mainly for the reasons I wrote about in answer to Emma's question in the General Discussion section. We also use Tracklogs for some purposes. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

We supply all our routes in MM format, as well as GPX format for the forward thinking products that support it.

Blue-Fingers

« Reply #4 on: 19:01:47, 07/02/07 »

Hi all, I would also like to say how much I like MM - its opened up a whole new world  ::)

Seriously is a great piece of kit tho, if only I could say the same about the battery on my PDA.

Has anyone used the French Maps at all ?

Trojan_Llama

« Reply #5 on: 09:07:28, 19/07/07 »
Thank you, I'll download the trial sometime and see how it goes.  I presently use Gartrip [nofollow] on the PC along with my Garmin Etrex.  I scan or download available OS maps to any scale, and easily calibrate them to the BNG.  The program can be a little fidgety, and feels beta, but has some nice features.  It allows me to replay the walk at a variety of speeds, it exports in lots of extensions including .kml (so that I can display tracks or routes on Google Earth without subscribing to the pay version of that software), and a feature that I haven't tried yet is that you can create a photo gallery attached to track data.

Thats another one to try?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy