Author Topic: Boot arriving creased at toe?  (Read 5239 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Boot arriving creased at toe?
« Reply #15 on: 09:24:29, 16/08/20 »
The crack in the last photo is particularly bad.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:58:27, 16/08/20 »
Misty, this is a used boot. Definitely not new in my book! Don't accept this and send them back or ask for a massive discount (like >50% off).
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:03:10, 16/08/20 »
Looking at the quality of the stitching and the state of the welts and sole - I believe this is could be a new boot made from a wrinkly bit of leather.  It does happen.  I had a set of Altberg boots were the leather on one boot was quite different and much more wrinkly than the other - they wore much the same though.  An examination of the inside of the boot and the state of the tongue could also help tell if the boot has had a previous owner.  A clincher would be if there are scuff marks in the leather, especially near the toe or above the welts.  Either way though - if you are not happy with them, return them.
« Last Edit: 12:06:13, 16/08/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Misty

« Reply #18 on: 18:05:05, 16/08/20 »
Thank you to everyone who has replied, it has really helped me to get some other opinions and I am glad it is not just me who would have been concerned by the creased toe!

Judging by the soles, it doesn't look as though they have been worn outside. I suspect the creased boot has either been rather heavily tried on and/or the leather in that one boot is, like ninthace said, just more wrinkly. The linings look pretty much unused too, although the lining of the creased boot does have brown marks (the same colour as the leather) and is slightly scuffed/snagged in one place inside the ankle. It is possible that they are not from the same pair as the collar in the wrinkled boot is slightly paler than in the non wrinkled boot. Perhaps it was a display model?

If it helps, the boots are Grisport but I don't want to "name and shame" them as I am sure that they didn't send a faulty boot out to me on purpose with the intention of deception!  When they didn't reply to my emails, my partner said it was because they would have looked at the photos and wondered what the problem was so after that I felt too embarrassed to ring - but more likely they are just really busy! The general consensus seems to be that I should ask for a refund or exchange so that has given me the confidence to ring them tomorrow, thank you! Their return and exchange policy is good so hopefully it will be okay. My feet got a good soaking in the wet grass today so the sooner I get this sorted the better!

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to comment, thank you again!

fatmanwalking

« Reply #19 on: 18:16:04, 16/08/20 »
... my partner said it was because they would have looked at the photos and wondered what the problem was ...

Someone needs an eye test asap!

Little Foot

« Reply #20 on: 22:33:41, 16/08/20 »
That boot looks a mess. I've recently done 10 miles through searing sunshine, shallow lakes and hiked up a  huge hill in my new leather Altberg's and they don't look half as bad.

Misty

« Reply #21 on: 10:39:05, 17/08/20 »
Well, I rang them this morning and the lady said that they are inundated with orders at the moment and, with Covid -19, they only have three staff working in the department, so they have a back log of emails. She said "leave it with me and we will get back to you in a couple of days!". I am really terrible at speaking on the phone (programmed to be polite as though it was them doing me a favour rather than I who had given them my £££!) so I just " okay, thank you!"

Seems it will be welly boots for me for the foreseeable future! I feel the need to add at this point that I emailed them on 7th (the day I received the boots) and again on the 12th so my patience is beginning to be stretched a little. In fairness to then, I am sure they are not enjoying being short staffed and inundated with orders and customer queries.

Apologies to Ridge who told me to stay on the phone until they had done something, you were right!!!
 :-[

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:58:34, 17/08/20 »
I rang them this morning and the lady said that they are inundated with orders at the moment and, with Covid -19, they only have three staff working in the department, so they have a back log of emails. She said "leave it with me and we will get back to you in a couple of days!".

It brings into question the fact that there are only three staff working in the department when they are inundated with orders.
From what I have read in newspaper consumer columns it is clear that some companies are using Covid-19 an an excuse for poor customer service.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:03:09, 17/08/20 »
My advice would be to put your Mrs. Angry head on and ring them straight back and insist they resolve your problem whilst you are on the phone. I suppose you could insist that they dispatch you another pair overnight until they resolve the issue.

The delays and excuses given so far are unacceptable and you can almost guarantee that they won't phone you back as promised.

The other option is to just return them for full credit although there's no doubt there will be delays in processing the refund for them as well.

If they got things right the first time there wouldn't be a backlog would there?

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:49:52, 17/08/20 »
"Getting back to you in a couple of days"

No. Just send them back today for a full refund.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:54:24, 17/08/20 »
Apologies to Ridge who told me to stay on the phone until they had done something, you were right!!!
Don't worry I'm not often right. Ask Mrs R, we've been married for over 30 years and it has still not happened.

If they really had significant numbers of people off with Covid they would be closed and all quarantining.

You can be Mrs Angry if that works 'I demand you sort this immediately!'
or you can be Mrs Firm but Fair 'I contacted you X days ago, I now need this sorting'
even Ms Apologetic 'I'm so sorry to bother you but...'

Which ever you choose practice saying 'No, I need you to sort this for me now' While I can do this I know this isn't easy for everyone (I bet you are braver with spiders than I am). If it is more your husbands thing get him to do it, if not then you just have to pretend that you are a forceful, no nonsense kind of person for 30 minutes. My kids aren't scared of spiders because when they were young I pretended that I wasn't.

And, as I said, stay on the phone. It is very difficult for them to hang up on you.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:58:24, 17/08/20 »
Well, I rang them this morning and the lady said that they are inundated with orders at the moment and, with Covid -19, they only have three staff working in the department, so they have a back log of emails. She said "leave it with me and we will get back to you in a couple of days!". I am really terrible at speaking on the phone (programmed to be polite as though it was them doing me a favour rather than I who had given them my £££!) so I just " okay, thank you!"

Seems it will be welly boots for me for the foreseeable future! I feel the need to add at this point that I emailed them on 7th (the day I received the boots) and again on the 12th so my patience is beginning to be stretched a little. In fairness to then, I am sure they are not enjoying being short staffed and inundated with orders and customer queries.

We’ve “all been there”...been a bit too easy going on phone and then regretted it minute put phone down. I know I have...

It helps a bit (well it does me) if I jot down some rough notes before ringing, what I’m going to say, resolution I’m looking form and minimum willing to accept.

In this case...my own minimum would have been boots going back for a full refund. And..I think that is an eminently sensible position. This firm sell boots via mail order..they must get a load of returns for full refund...quite often the boots won’t fit and will have to go back. So if firm can’t agree that double pronto...there’s something wrong with them.

I share KinkyB’s scepticism about “I’ll get back to you in a couple of days”. My instant reaction to that is to always ask for persons full name...if they don’t give that (or a reference number), then my scepticism gets close to 100 percent mark. And in this case I’d be asking them what they intended doing in the 2 days...it’s patently clear the boots are faulty, nothing they can do in next 2 days can alter that.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:41:38, 17/08/20 »
Think about starting a charge back with your payment card if it is possible . If you used a credit/debit card then complain to your card provider and state you are not getting any help and ask for a charge back . (return of payment) See what your bank says .

It must be within 120 days of your purchase or payment for the service..
Quality of item – the goods were not as described or were defective.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/visa-mastercard-chargeback/
« Last Edit: 18:46:36, 17/08/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Little Foot

« Reply #28 on: 17:50:47, 18/08/20 »
Send them back for a return. You shouldn't need to correspond with them through phone calls or emails if paperwork is included in the packaging. If you identify the company it will help with advice, you have nothing to lose with doing so, and it will only help assist you. We will know if it is a company with previous of trying to stitch customers up, or a small trader who is out the loop with how they should be performing.

The company you purchased from has legal obligations and must display certain pieces of info on their website. Also, do not worry about the 14 days timescale too much as you have 14 days to notify the company of the return, and another 14 to actually return the goods, but that is on non-faulty items anyway, so just a basic change of mind. You have informed the company of the problem within 30 days, and they are avoiding sorting it out by not giving you necessary info on a solution. The company also has a legal duty to supply you with your rights in a durable medium when placing an order, such as in the order email, but it can't be a link to a website as that info can be changed. If they have not supplied this info, any timescale does not start until that info is supplied.

Let us know how you get on. Your refund should be in full, btw, no reductions for anything, and no removing of the delivery fee etc.

Hope that helps :)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:45:01, 18/08/20 »
If you identify the company it will help with advice, you have nothing to lose with doing so, and it will only help assist you. We will know if it is a company with previous of trying to stitch customers up, or a small trader who is out the loop with how they should be performing.

Read the posts early on in the thread again. A poster appeared to have done some research and gave a subtle indication. Sssh!  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy