Author Topic: 3 Days - What should we do?  (Read 3280 times)

Petrolhead

3 Days - What should we do?
« on: 12:07:29, 14/03/19 »
Hi guys,

My better half and I are planning to head up to the Lake District for three days at the end of April / start of May. You guys were such a HUGE help last time that I was wondering if I could get the benefit of your sagely advice once again.

Last time we did:

Catbells
Haystacks
A random wander around Borrowdale (that went very wrong but was still hugely enjoyable)
Arnison Crag
Buttermere (just for a wander at sunrise really)
Loughrigg Tarn
Kelly Hall Tarn (just because we were passing)
Ashness Bridge
Blae Tarn (but we arrived too late so may go back)

And that's it so far.

Last time we had intended to do Walla Crag but ran out of time, so we'll probably do that this time. Bowfell is a possible too. And I think one of the days will be mostly taken up with Helvellyn via Striding Edge. Maybe. If we're brave enough. Although from what I've seen, if Striding Edge gets too scary on the ridge, we can take the slightly less daunting lower path. However, the return along Swirral Edge is yet to be looked into fully. We'll see...

Anyway, that's my ramble. Any advice on other "must do" experiences would be greatly appreciated. We're looking for anything really. Short quick wins can always be factored in. Photography locations are always part of our trips, the photos are almost as important as the walks! I'd say we'd look at a max of around 10 miles. A bit of scrambling is fine but nothing too technical (Catbells and Haystacks scrambles were absolutely no problem last time). Not sure if there's anything else I need to say.

So, what would you do?

Cheers folks.

Mes.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: 3 Days - What should we do?
« Reply #1 on: 12:52:15, 14/03/19 »
Where to start???  That's a blank canvas and a half ;D   Some will depend on where you are staying as getting to places like Wasdale or Ennerdale can be very time consuming!

But many walks spring to mind - how about a circuit of the Coniston Fells - Walna Scar Road, Brown Pike, Dow Crag, The Old Man and then down (you can extend this if feeling good, by taking in any or all of the other fells, such as Brim Fell, Swirl How, Wetherlam).

Newlands Horseshoe,  Coledale Horeshoe - which you can shorten and lengthen as there are plenty of escape paths.  In fact any of the classic horseshoes!

If it was me and I had to base myself in one place, I think it would be Wasdale - a day on Great Gable/Kirk Fell, one on Scafell and then one on Yewbarow, Red Pike, Scoat Fell, Steeple etc.  Stay at the Wasdale Head, no need to use the car - bliss.  Having said that, if you ask the same question tomorrow I'd probably think of somewhere else!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:38:54, 14/03/19 »
I agree with you pdstsp that walking without having to drive is absolute heaven but the original poster's user name leads me to believe that he doesn't feel the same way.

Buttermere. There are a number of places to get on and off the High Stile ridge, or make is a proper day and walk all the way from Great Borne to Fleetwith Pike.
Langdales. Always very popular, Pavey Arc, Harrison Stickle, Pike of Stickle, Loft Crag.
Back of Skiddaw. What about a day where the hills are empty? Little Calva, Great Calva, Knott, Great Sca Fell, Meal Fell and then, if you've still got the energy, Great Cockup.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:43:17, 14/03/19 »
I agree with you pdstsp that walking without having to drive is absolute heaven but the original poster's user name leads me to believe that he doesn't feel the same way.

Aaaahhhhhh - good point!

Petrolhead

« Reply #4 on: 16:31:23, 14/03/19 »
Where to start???  That's a blank canvas and a half ;D   Some will depend on where you are staying as getting to places like Wasdale or Ennerdale can be very time consuming!

But many walks spring to mind - how about a circuit of the Coniston Fells - Walna Scar Road, Brown Pike, Dow Crag, The Old Man and then down (you can extend this if feeling good, by taking in any or all of the other fells, such as Brim Fell, Swirl How, Wetherlam).

Newlands Horseshoe,  Coledale Horeshoe - which you can shorten and lengthen as there are plenty of escape paths.  In fact any of the classic horseshoes!

If it was me and I had to base myself in one place, I think it would be Wasdale - a day on Great Gable/Kirk Fell, one on Scafell and then one on Yewbarow, Red Pike, Scoat Fell, Steeple etc.  Stay at the Wasdale Head, no need to use the car - bliss.  Having said that, if you ask the same question tomorrow I'd probably think of somewhere else!

Brilliant reply pdstsp! Thanks a lot.

I know it's a very open request but for me that's a good thing. It means there are no prerequisites for any advice. And it all gets added to my google map of everywhere we've been and everywhere we want to go. So even if it doesn't get done now, anything we like the look of will get added to the map for the future.

As for the driving, that's absolutely part of the fun for both of us. And driving around there is a joy. A two hour ride to the start of the walk is no problem at all so where we stay isn't really of any concern for us.

As for the last bit, I'll give you a nudge tomorrow!

:D

Petrolhead

« Reply #5 on: 16:34:50, 14/03/19 »

Buttermere. There are a number of places to get on and off the High Stile ridge, or make is a proper day and walk all the way from Great Borne to Fleetwith Pike.
Langdales. Always very popular, Pavey Arc, Harrison Stickle, Pike of Stickle, Loft Crag.
Back of Skiddaw. What about a day where the hills are empty? Little Calva, Great Calva, Knott, Great Sca Fell, Meal Fell and then, if you've still got the energy, Great Cockup.

Another excellent and appreciated reply Ridge. It's all going on the map. Fleetwith Pike was actually the first place I ever looked at in the Lake District so it would be nice to tick that one off. I'll have a good look through the places you've advised and see what we can fit in this time and save the rest for another.

And yep, you were bang on about the driving. As I said to pdstsp, if there is a two hour run to the start point, that's part of the pleasure for us.  O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:36:25, 14/03/19 »

As for the last bit, I'll give you a nudge tomorrow!

:D

Tomorrow I am walking, or attempting to stand up in the wind, in the Lakes so don't be offended if I don't answer!  I second Ridge's suggestions by the way - there aren't many bad spots in the Lakes - have a look at some of the TRs on here, they'll give you an idea of routes and difficulty.  Great fun planing too.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:42:34, 14/03/19 »
My experience of the Lakes over the last few years has told me to have dry and wet weather options  O0

No point doing a lovely scenic horseshoe route with limited visibility so have wet weather options as well rather than a wasted journey.

Personally I enjoy the horseshoe walks as you get long distance views (usually) and a lot of Wainwrights can be ticked of on them, with options to detour for extra ones  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:58:17, 14/03/19 »
Other suggestions are the central fells from Grasmere - these fells are great when there is a weather window of a couple of hours. Scandale Horseshoe from Ambleside. O0

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 02:39:44, 15/03/19 »
end of April / start of May.

Photography locations are always part of our trips

Rannerdale (near Buttermere) if the bluebells are out by then.

The Old Man

There's a lot of old mineworkings in Coppermines valley and the path up to the Old Man which would make good subjects for your photography.

I'd also suggest the walk from Aira Force near Ullswater, onto Gowbarrow, and back via the shooting lodge and memorial seat.

And Latrigg (Keswick) is an easy win.
Not all those who wander are lost

Petrolhead

« Reply #10 on: 09:37:27, 19/03/19 »

Tomorrow I am walking, or attempting to stand up in the wind, in the Lakes so don't be offended if I don't answer!  I second Ridge's suggestions by the way - there aren't many bad spots in the Lakes - have a look at some of the TRs on here, they'll give you an idea of routes and difficulty.  Great fun planing too.

Thanks pdstsp. I've been through about the first 20 pages of this forum and looked at everything with a TR prefix. So much amazing info but there was so much that I thought it would be worth this post also to try and narrow it down a bit! Your advice and thoughts have been most appreciated.

Hope you enjoyed your outing and that the wind wasn't too crazy!

O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #11 on: 09:40:29, 19/03/19 »
My experience of the Lakes over the last few years has told me to have dry and wet weather options  O0

No point doing a lovely scenic horseshoe route with limited visibility so have wet weather options as well rather than a wasted journey.

Personally I enjoy the horseshoe walks as you get long distance views (usually) and a lot of Wainwrights can be ticked of on them, with options to detour for extra ones  O0

Thanks Brian, sound advice mate. We always have a back up plan. My list of walks all have a colour coding / icon system so we can see at a glance anything that would be suitable to less clement days. That said, I grew up in Manchester so I'm well used to rain. Unless it's torrential, it doesn't spoil things for us too much. We both enjoy being out in our waterproof gear.

Petrolhead

« Reply #12 on: 09:41:21, 19/03/19 »
Other suggestions are the central fells from Grasmere - these fells are great when there is a weather window of a couple of hours. Scandale Horseshoe from Ambleside. O0

Thanks a lot Henry, it's all getting added to the map mate!  O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #13 on: 09:42:48, 19/03/19 »
Rannerdale (near Buttermere) if the bluebells are out by then.

There's a lot of old mineworkings in Coppermines valley and the path up to the Old Man which would make good subjects for your photography.

I'd also suggest the walk from Aira Force near Ullswater, onto Gowbarrow, and back via the shooting lodge and memorial seat.

And Latrigg (Keswick) is an easy win.

Thanks Strider. Had a quick look at the coppermines and it all looks great. Right up my street.

And Aira Force is right up there on the list, maybe this trip will be the time.

Cheers mate.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:32:24, 19/03/19 »

And for something different if the weather turns dire on the tops........

The Muncaster fells between Dalegarth and Ravenglass using the Ravenglass Eskdale railway one way.  https://ravenglass-railway.co.uk/
Though the railway is only 7 miles there are plenty of footpath options to lengthen the walk.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy