Author Topic: Blister plasters  (Read 1081 times)

emdaw

Blister plasters
« on: 19:20:08, 25/02/20 »
Does anyone else have problems with keeping blister plasters in place. By the end of a days walking they have slipped off the blister and if I put normal plaster over the top this slips as well. Any suggestions for keeping plasters in place, thanks

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Blister plasters
« Reply #1 on: 19:24:23, 25/02/20 »
I've only had that problem if they are not Compeed, I think that they are one thing never to skimp on.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:48:17, 25/02/20 »
1.  They must be Compeed, copies do not cut it.
2.  The skin around the blister should as dry as practicable. Avoid pricking the blister if possible
3.  Make sure the plaster is big enough with room to spare
4.  Once you have applied the plaster, hold your hand over it and warm the plaster with your palm to help it take.
5.  It there is no sign of infection, leave the Compeed on until it comes off on its own.
Solvitur Ambulando

Crag71

« Reply #3 on: 20:00:59, 25/02/20 »
In relation to Blisters , my mate is an ex military man and he was telling me to use Zinc Oxide tape and put it on the trouble spots where blisters tend to form

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:22:07, 25/02/20 »
1.  They must be Compeed, copies do not cut it.
2.  The skin around the blister should as dry as practicable. Avoid pricking the blister if possible
3.  Make sure the plaster is big enough with room to spare
4.  Once you have applied the plaster, hold your hand over it and warm the plaster with your palm to help it take.
5.  It there is no sign of infection, leave the Compeed on until it comes off on its own.

This.  O0
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:30:21, 25/02/20 »
Before I finally found boots that were a real pleasure to wear, I always used Compeed. I used to put them on before a days walking knowing from experience where my blisters usually formed beyond a certain mileage. Pre-empting the need to take boots and socks off and dry the already tender skin, or blisters.I found they never moved if applied correctly on dry clean skin. A tad expensive, but hey what price for no pain...
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:34:07, 25/02/20 »
‘Blister’ plasters is a terrible misnomer. They should be applied long before a blister has formed. If you feel any heat/rubbing/discomfort then it’s boots off, compeed on.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:47:55, 25/02/20 »
‘Blister’ plasters is a terrible misnomer. They should be applied long before a blister has formed. If you feel any heat/rubbing/discomfort then it’s boots off, compeed on.
Totally agree with that. When I first started walking over five mile, I was always used to wait, when experiencing what I thought was just a bit of soreness before dealing with it over a sandwich & tea, but by then, it was always too late . Once sore then sore all the way & usually the blisters have already formed thats why they hurt so damn much..used to ruin a good days walking..
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:52:40, 25/02/20 »
Just as laces do not retie themselve so blisters do not improve with walking.  Stop and tackle them asap unless you are actually under fire, in which case, find cover first.
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:48:11, 25/02/20 »
In relation to Blisters , my mate is an ex military man and he was telling me to use Zinc Oxide tape and put it on the trouble spots where blisters tend to form

deleted - double post.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:50:10, 25/02/20 »

That's what I use, as soon as you get the 'warm feeling' put some tape on and it feels (to me) like you've put ice in it - it seems to cool it down right away.

Stops any further rubbing.

Great stuff - can use it to tape toes / fingers together, cover cuts, hold boot soles on, sprained ankles, wrists etc sort of like mini Duct-Tape, if you haven't fixed it you haven't used enough.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:04:07, 25/02/20 »
I also use Zinc oxide tape for any trouble spots before I start a walk and Compeed if I feel a blister may be starting.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:07:07, 25/02/20 »
Example of strapping a twisted knee. (similar for ankles and wrists)

https://youtu.be/QpbCg_6h1Jw

Step-By-Step

Apply two anchors of zinc oxide above and below the knee.

Apply a cross shape on the inside of the knee to provide support to the medial ligaments.

Repeat the cross strapping twice more making sure each application is slightly off the previous one.

On the back of the knee apply three strips going from the inside of the knee top right to the bottom left anchor to prevent the knee dropping inwards.

Using EAB wrap around the top anchor and then diagonally down to the bottom and around the lower anchor.

Continue the process in a figure of 8 so the medial aspect of the knee is covered fully.

Secure the EAB with a strip of zinc oxide above and below the knee

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:24:48, 25/02/20 »
I also use Zinc oxide tape for any trouble spots before I start a walk and Compeed if I feel a blister may be starting.
Agee with this but I also use zinc oxide tape over the Compeed to ensure it stays in place. Whilst the advice is not to drain/break a blister I always do but not too much now I know where my weak spots are - 500 miles (well over 600 actually walking to and from cafes and around cities) I didn't get any despite the hot weather.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:19:10, 26/02/20 »
Whilst the advice is not to drain/break a blister I always do …

Me too if I know there is a lot more walking to do and it's not a tiny one, draw out the fluid with a syringe then tape over it to prevent infection and/or the skin tearing  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy