Author Topic: Blister plasters  (Read 1097 times)

emdaw

Re: Blister plasters
« Reply #15 on: 08:38:48, 26/02/20 »
Thanks for all the good advice. I have tried zinc oxide plaster before but it just fell off, it was Boots own brand.  Where would you recommend to get proper zinc oxide from. Many years ago I was given a roll from an ex army friend, this was brilliant and stuck well and stayed put.  I just assumed that they had stopped making it now. Thinking about it my blister plaster was a chemist own brand so if I can source some effective tape + compeed then my "just in case kit" should be good to go 👍

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:03:13, 26/02/20 »
I carry kinesio tape rather than zinc oxide, but both are readily available through on line retailers, can't recommend any as it's been a while since I needed some, it lasts a long time  O0
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:14:03, 26/02/20 »
Thanks for all the good advice. I have tried zinc oxide plaster before but it just fell off, it was Boots own brand.  Where would you recommend to get proper zinc oxide from. Many years ago I was given a roll from an ex army friend, this was brilliant and stuck well and stayed put.  I just assumed that they had stopped making it now.

I bought mine off ebay for about £1 a roll. Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

I'll see if I can find which seller it was.
Some came from China, but I've had UK supplier a couple of times.

Edit to add :
Seems to have increased in price, and, mine was £1.49 inc Free delivery.
Other priced ones available in the ebay listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxing-Hand-Tape-Zinc-Oxide-Tape-2-5cm-Hand-Wrap-Tape/293046904229?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:18:27, 26/02/20 »
There will no doubt be others sellers and cheaper but I used:-
https://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/strapping-and-taping-c3/zinc-oxide-tape-c34

I bought the Premium Tan Zinc Oxide Tape 13.7m.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:03:40, 26/02/20 »
When I first started to hike I used to get lots of blisters. Then one day my feet were measured by a Cotswold staff member, who also told me to buy women's boots, narrow ankles, which I have done ever since. Solved my problem. Apart from the three instances below, I haven't had a blister for years, I've had the 'feeling' a couple of times when hiking a lot in one day but they have never materialised.!

Since then I have had one blister on my heel, caused because I stupidly changed my Sorbothane inserts for Superfeet inserts. I didn't notice that the Superfeet had a 'raised rough edge' at the heel area, which then rubbed my heel and caused me a linear blister. I made a mistake last year (Nov 11th 2019) when hiked up Great Gable and used the double sock method. Some people swear by it but for for me it was most uncomfortable, my feet started to 'burn' and felt like they were almost on fire and I knew that I was heading for a blister if I didn't do something about it. I reverted back to one sock per foot and the problem stopped. I did put a plaster over the affected area 'just in case' but nothing further happened.

I then had a small problem a few months ago when I bought a new pair of boots, one heel started to hurt and became red, I quickly established with the sensitivity of a finger that there was a small raised area at the heel. I solved by bashing the 'bump' with a hammer with a round end. Worked a treat, now both boots are very comfortable.

The other matter which I always concentrate on is to have 'good quality' feet skin. A long-distance runner I knew told me that about a week before a marathon he would always slap on some Boots Athletes Foot cream every morning before he put his socks on to ensure his feet were 'perfect' on the day of a race. I now do that myself, I've never had Athletes Foot but I always follow this little procedure a few days before I go on a hike. I do not have hard skin on my feet, I believe that supple and healthy skin will flex and move naturally as needed inside a boot, hard skin I think will have a tendency to crack and if it does you will then have another problem to solve.

Apart from this, Compeed yes, Boots definately no. When I bought Boots plasters they always fell off.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:49:53, 27/02/20 »
I've never got on with them. Not even Compeed. They always seem to ruck up or slip or something else that makes it worse.
Whenever I feel a hotspot I use fabric elastoplast - the old-fashioned very sticky stuff. It goes on and eventually gets peeled off days later. Zinc oxide is good, too, but I don't tend to carry it as I do so much patching up of children and I don't want to risk a reaction.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy