Author Topic: Alpkit clothing!  (Read 1108 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Alpkit clothing!
« on: 13:29:51, 08/04/19 »
Over the years I have bought a fair amount of stuff from Alpkit, walking poles, a tarp, etc and have been very happy with my purchases, but when I've bought clothing I'm not so sure anymore.

I've bought three items of clothing, first a synthetic warm jacket, OK but it has that clammy nylon feel to it if it gets too warm inside. The second item was also a warm synthetic jacket, much better, roughly the same price. I wear them both as layers to keep warm, or to take off one when I start to get too hot. I just wear the second purchase first and the original purchase goes on top.

I decided to buy a warm cheap 'fleece cardigan' the other day and it arrived this morning. OK, I know I was choosing a product that was advertised as a 'second' reduced from nearly £40 to £25, which for my hiking needs I have no worry about. I've walked around with it on this morning and I notice that as I got warmer I started to feel that nylon clamminess again.

I'll persevere with it but if it proves to be a poor buy I'll just, as I always tend to, just wear it down the pub in the winter. I don't think I'll buy Alkit clothing again, well not as the first choice anyway, even with three clothing items, I feel the products are just a bit too hit and miss to feel confident about them.

Am I just being too picky?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Alpkit clothing!
« Reply #1 on: 13:48:48, 08/04/19 »
None of my fleeces or fleece cardigans make me feel clammy? I don't tend to wear them unless it's sub zero which maybe why.

If you can find clothes that don't do it but Alpkit does then I don't think you're being too picky. I wouldn't want to be clammy either.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:43:20, 08/04/19 »
Alpkit does in general make good products at a much cheaper price compared to the 'name brands', but it does have some positives - a lot of it is UK made, they have several shops in the UK where you can handle and try out the gear before buying it - and thirdly their guarantee/returns setup seems quite reputable.

For warmth though, not sure whether this is just a biology thing and you or whether something is genuinely wrong with the product.  All a fleece really does is provides a way of capturing some additional warm air to help insulate you - whether you  buy a £80 one or a £10 one it's largely the same principal.  Sure, some of the fabrics have a slightly fastest wicking process to keep the skin dry, or a different fabric weave, but at the end of the day it provides the same function to the majority of us (who are not professional athletes bringing the gear to top performance) need.

Overall though, if you're already overheating and clammy you're taking the gear off too late or you're pushing yourself quite hard.  My general rule is that you're better starting a little cold, doing your ascent and then putting a fleece on when you hit a saddle/summit when you can capture all that heat coming off you - than end up walking in a wet through base layer with the assumption it will 'wick away'.  It will do, but not as fast as you need.  Often hiking with just a base layer and a wind shirt with hood and pit zips seems to get me through most conditions.

Pitboot

« Reply #3 on: 18:09:52, 08/04/19 »
I've had good kit from Alpkit. The one problem item was a heavy fleece bought online and when I tried it on the hood was massive with no way to adjust it. I eventually took it to my nearest shop and when the staff saw how bad it was they immediately offered an alternative and more suitable option. Full marks for customer service. Can't comment on their synthetic jackets but I have a stretch waterproof and it's excellent.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:13:58, 08/04/19 »
A bit late in life for me to look into such matters but I decided to look at all of the synthetic clothing I use for hiking. My jacket from Berghaus is 100% polyester, my Alpkit warm coats are 100% polyester and of course, my latest purchase is also 100% polyester. If they are all 100% polyester why are they then so different? The Berghaus jacket has always been comfortable and warm and doesn't have that nylon type feel to it but, as written earlier, the three Alpkit items I have bought are each, in their own way are different from each other and do have the nylon 'feel' to them. I presume that because I bought cheap, they are cheap?

I know nothing about such things but is the difference caused by the manufacturing process, the type of polyester that's used, the thickness of the thread, or what?

I tend to go for synthetic because Merino makes me itch and because I find that synthetic is easier to wash and dry on the trail. The only down item I use is my sleeping quilt but the outer covering is polyester as well.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:45:03, 08/04/19 »
I presume that because I bought cheap, they are cheap?

I've got a Regatta Stanton II Mid Weight Fleece which can be had for less than £14 and it doesn't make me clammy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy