Author Topic: When hiking do you use Skype?  (Read 727 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
When hiking do you use Skype?
« on: 15:29:16, 23/07/19 »
I use Skype when I'm hiking, useful in many ways. I get a very clear picture on my phone, the sound is excellent as well, even better than on my PC. I've often wondered if some of the other apps are better, or are they more or less all the same?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: When hiking do you use Skype?
« Reply #1 on: 15:41:22, 23/07/19 »
Never. Not at home either.  WhatsApp is good enough when I am out and about.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:04:28, 23/07/19 »
The thought of using Skype whilst hiking has never entered my head.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:40:29, 23/07/19 »
I didn't realise that WhatsApp can be used like Skype, I'll give it a look.

I find Skype useful because I can phone family and friends and can 'show them around 360 degrees' as we speak. It was really useful on my Keswick to Edingburgh hike a few months ago, I showed a USA friend live pictures of me walking beside Hadrians Wall and a few days later exploring an old castle, he was so impressed. A real castle and a real Roman Wall, nothing like that where he lives. Also useful if my wife wants to send me some typed information, or for me to view a document. I can also use it if I'm recording my route on Wikiloc, the app allows me to send it in real time via Skype to show her where I am and where I'm going to. And if I want to be really boring I can also show my wife the restaurant I'm in, a good look around my location and me drooling over the food and wine. I've only used it once to show my little nephew what problems I was having trying to make my way through a herd of cows who didn't want to move when I tried to get over a stile. Made him laugh evidently!

I've just had a look at the reviews on these type of apps, seems to be a bit samey, it looks like I'll stick to what I know.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:52:21, 23/07/19 »
We use Skype at work.  I take that to mean it is well past it's best. Good for sharing multiple screens amongst an on line group whilst chatting away on the headset.  Used to use it to keep in touch with the kids.  They have moved on to WhatsApp and Strava for sharing adventures on the go.  So we have followed.

WhatsApp is by far my favourite.  Realy simple and straightforward.  Just what I need when wishing to send the family a quick live snap of me freezing my butt off half way accross a waterfall.  We have a thread running called where's Dad today.  Suggestions always welcome.  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:20:10, 25/07/19 »
Never used it, not even sure what it is.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:43:04, 25/07/19 »
Whats App for me. Facetime if we want to chat with family and see them but not usually while walking. Used to use Skype years ago.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:04:56, 25/07/19 »
Generally, I don’t communicate with outside world when walking. I use Skype for contacting the aged parents and for calling my wife when working away. All other contact / social media apps I stay away from, as I am too antisocial or can’t be bothered to waste my time on them. I do have a work mobile phone, but not a personal one.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:11:35, 25/07/19 »
A bit pointless using Skype here in NW Wales, as you cannot guarantee a good strong internet signal anywhere in the Gwynedd area.
The closer you get to the coastal areas of North Wales, where there is any decent population, then Skype is an option.

The further in land you go, gaining any internet signal can be a real problem.

Forget Skype anywhere near the Barmouth and Harlech regions, as gaining a mobile phone signal, let alone a good strong internet signal is almost impossible.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy