Author Topic: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story  (Read 28320 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story
« Reply #15 on: 14:12:58, 30/09/16 »
Walked around St Paul's a couple of years, and a lot further but close by I came across a store selling our sort of gear, I think it was Black's. The amount of floorspace was breath taking and if the cost was known that might be eye-watering. The money that our interest in the countryside earns to justify this and so many other outlets has grown since the days of little Arvon's shop in Capel Curig and the parent cobbler's shop in Bethesda came to mind.

Go to the end of the street and turn left and I think you will see where I mean.

Earlier that day I had been below Monument, found a garden with some old ruins, where a totally nude and very attractive woman wss being photographed. If you had been very fast, that might have made a good urban shot before she disappeared under a coverup.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:19:15, 30/09/16 »

My favourite photo taken at Sandringham, Norfolk

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:36:54, 01/10/16 »
Keep the photos coming, the time is close for some decent colours, the yellows, golds, browns and reds of autumn, plus inversions and those long shadows.  O0

Thanks, As a photographeer I always think that Jul/Aug is the most boring time of the year in the hills as you say can't wait for some decent colours, the yellows, golds, browns and reds of autumn, plus inversions and those long shadows.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 07:47:48, 01/10/16 »
Walked around St Paul's a couple of years, and a lot further but close by I came across a store selling our sort of gear, I think it was Black's. The amount of floorspace was breath taking and if the cost was known that might be eye-watering. The money that our interest in the countryside earns to justify this and so many other outlets has grown since the days of little Arvon's shop in Capel Curig and the parent cobbler's shop in Bethesda came to mind.

I have always been amazed at how many londoners have an avid interest in the outdoors, they have so much enthusiam, when I do my walk guiding work in Europe the majority of the clients are Londoners.

Another example is Mick Fowlers team, Mick holds a senior position with HMRC BUT has been driving from London to Scotland every winter weekend for decades.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 07:49:22, 01/10/16 »

My favourite photo taken at Sandringham, Norfolk

Magic photo thanks for posting, hopefully we will get loads more like that this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:54:55, 01/10/16 »
Is it my imagination, or are the leaves staying on the trees later this year? We're into October and most of the trees are still fully clad (if that's the right word).

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:57:44, 01/10/16 »
You're correct. Very little autumn colour yet.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:56:09, 01/10/16 »

Not necessarily a good photo but taken on long telephoto and without time to compose the shot: Having spotted four deer in the woods where we were walking today.
This was on the NE Coast Cinder Track North of Claughton, North Yorkshire. We initially saw one animal but managed to keep watching through the trees, at about 60 foot distance, and one by one others became visible until we realised there were four. As we were watching we were passed on the track by cyclists and even a car - all the while the deer paused and were clearly cautious but carried on eating. We were probably watching them for almost ten minutes until passers by realised we were watching something in the trees and stopped to take a look. At that stage we withdrew.
What a treat.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:36:46, 02/10/16 »
Is it my imagination, or are the leaves staying on the trees later this year? We're into October and most of the trees are still fully clad (if that's the right word).
Looks that way, but many trees were dying back unnaturally due to leaf disease and/or dry soils in previous years, I think there is more soil moisture, perhaps this might lead too better autumn colours when the trees start to die back properly.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:30:29, 04/10/16 »

Not necessarily a good photo but taken on long telephoto and without time to compose the shot: Having spotted four deer in the woods where we were walking today.
This was on the NE Coast Cinder Track North of Claughton, North Yorkshire.

Good Effort Mark........The wild deer in Yorkshire are generally wild skittish things the only place I have managed to get any half decent photos is at the deer park in Studley Royal nr Fountains Abbey.

In Scotland where there are tens of thousands of deer and they come down to road level I have managed to get into decent photo range in the car.

As soon as you get out of the car they are off.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:42:45, 04/10/16 »

Yes I think last year seemed a late autumn also.

I bumped into a photographic club in in our hut in Borrowdale last year, they always have a weekend trip somewhere on the last weekend of October cos they reckon thats when the trees are at there most colourful.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:43:40, 04/10/16 »

Evening at Kings Cross Station

After two hard days house moving , cleaning, decorating etc we opted to catch a late train north cos it was cheap this would give us an opportunity for another walk round London during the day.
It was Sunday, several sections of the underground were stopped for maintenance making it a good day for walking in London. We managed to get close to Hyde Park, walked tho to get to the Natural History and Science museums.    

Follow link for full story and more photos The Great Escape  

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:40:08, 05/10/16 »
Just had 3 stunning days in the Lakes

Old Man of Coniston summit

Striding Edge

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:25:53, 06/10/16 »