Author Topic: TR. Bakewell to Hope - The White to Dark Walk - 25th & 26th June 2013  (Read 7278 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Looks a lovely walk. Is it possible to do it in shorter sections spead over more days for those of use who can't do 27 miles in two days?
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
Looks a lovely walk. Is it possible to do it in shorter sections spread over more days for those of use who can't do 27 miles in two days?

It is a great walk and yes it is actually planned as a three day walk, and there is no reason why you couldn't alter the stay overs either if you wanted to. Further details here http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/News-Landing/Search-Results/Features/Walk-Country-Walkings-new-trail/

The official route is Day 1: Bakewell to Litton Day 2: Litton to Hathersage Day 3: Hathersage to Hope.
Day 1 takes you along a lot of tarmac track, its good but there are some alternate more scenic routes that you could take. But we had a local expert (Sunnydale) with us who took us (IMO) a more interesting route.

Go for it you will enjoy it and when you do it let us know coz I've got part of the route that I need to take on again  ;D if you're up for some company :)
« Last Edit: 16:52:33, 28/06/13 by C2C09 Shaun »
www.catchlights-photography.com

Everything in Life happens for a reason

snakehips

• Veteran Member
looks like a great walk next time you do it can it be on a weekend i'd love to walk in that area. glad to here you haven't broken your ankle shaun i think i will have to give you lessons in how to fall properly it takes a lot of practise  :-[ :-[ all the best mark :)
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
Andy the stats for the White to Dark are as per my Satmap

Distance: 27.7 miles, Ascents: 4,822ft, Max altitude: 1,440ft O0

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
That Ascent figure has got to be wrong mate. We had 4,005 feet by end of day 1. First mile out of Eyam on day 2 added another 600+. Then we had all that uphill stuff on route to hathersage and then the pull up to Stanage.... :-\
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Robnolan

Great photos. I'm looking for a 2 day hike....I think I've just found it. I'll try the same route in a couple of weeks. Cheers

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Great photos. I'm looking for a 2 day hike....I think I've just found it. I'll try the same route in a couple of weeks. Cheers

Well worth it :)

Robnolan

Mmmmm....just been looking at potential campsites in the Eyam / Heatehrsage area, and they're a bit thin on the ground! Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Not really. We did a B&B seeing as just one night.

Crown Cottage. Very good breakfast

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Mmmmm....just been looking at potential campsites in the Eyam / Heatehrsage area, and they're a bit thin on the ground! Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=hathersage&by=town

Or there are Youth Hostels in both Eyam and Hathersage.  Can't find anything else!...yet!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
You actually got over the stepping stones across the Derwent just before Hathersage?? Didn't think that was possible! (I've tried three times, and three times ended up wading across a good part of the way.)

Commiserations on having to cut short second day. I'd have been interested how 'taxing" you'd have found. (When I did it in 2 days, actually ended first day at Hathersage... making second day a fair bit shorter. Even so found second day much harder than first.)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
We were saying that, if we did it again, which we will, we will do first day as far as Hathersage as well. It would make for an 18 mile first day (including the bit through Ravendale that we added into day 1) but would make both days far more even in terms of difficulty.

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
You actually got over the stepping stones across the Derwent just before Hathersage?? Didn't think that was possible! (I've tried three times, and three times ended up wading across a good part of the way.)

Commiserations on having to cut short second day. I'd have been interested how 'taxing" you'd have found. (When I did it in 2 days, actually ended first day at Hathersage... making second day a fair bit shorter. Even so found second day much harder than first.)

I must have just got lucky, that's the 3rd time I've been over the stepping stones and have not had to get wet.

A bit disappointing  :( but its the nature of the beast that we tackle, 1st injury in 20 years of hiking so I'm not to stressed over it. BUT, I do have some unfinished business with Stanage Edge, so I (we) will be going back and doing it again or at least from that point of the walk anyway. Yeah it makes sense to stretch out Day 1 and even up the milage at least. Day 2 is inherently going to be the more difficult of the two days anyway. But very achievable having walked both Stanage Edge and Win Hill before, they make for a good days hiking. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy