Author Topic: Unusual or interesting stuff you've found whilst walking ?  (Read 4598 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
I sat down on an inviting looking log, with a great view over a valley, with a friend on a walk one time, to eat and drink.
I looked down by the back of my feet and found a plastic clip lock container with what looked like childrens toys and paraphernalia in it. I couldn`t understand who would have put it there and after a brief look inside it, replaced it in the position it was originally in.

I have since learned about geo caching and I reckon that it was a geo cache. I took my daughter on a few walks looking for geo caches, but she didnt seem to get what it was all about...she is a bit obsessive about cleanliness, and some of the geo caches were pretty filthy, having spent what looks like years in the undergrowth, or shoved into the backs of logs, or hedgerows etc....so maybe thats what put her off..I love the idea of little geo caches being at the top of Snowdon or other mountain areas though....

Sorry if it offends, when thinking about saving our planet...plastic and all that..I do realise
I think it is one those occasions when plastic is the best option, a glass kilner jar could possible start a fire, tins will rust and it is a past time that has drawn many youngsters to the outdoors, linking it to the modern technology of IT.
Being a bit of an old countryman my peripheral awareness is pretty sharp, I have spotted countless of these caches. I suppose my eyes go the places that a townee might hide them. Walking up a path in a wood in Devon, a young girl and her parents past us, the adults looked unusually out of place though their child was obviously enjoying herself.
Another 20 further on I spotted a cache. Quite well hidden behind a tree by the top edge of a boundary ditch. A car park was not far away so sadly the child had not managed to encourage her chair bound adults any further into the countryside.

Finding a Welsh ewe wrapped up in barbed wire with about 200yards of it trailing behind complete with several fencing posts, may not qualify, but if the farmer had come on the scene I wonder what he would have made of an OAP couple working over one of his sheep wielding a 8 in sheath knife, which I keep hidden in the bottom of my rucksack. When we freed the poor animal, I chose to leave his wandering fencing in the middle of the 70 acre field for him to wonder how it got there.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Sonatine

Two [censored] in separate locations.

How frustrating, we don't know if you meant a [censored] or a [censored]?

Mel

• Veteran Member
@ Sonatine  :D   It's like a game of Blankety Blank  ;D

pleb

• Veteran Member
My reply disappeared altogether! Maybe the [censored] was a [censored]?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
I suspect Professor Plum in the kitchen with a bread loaf...

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Back in June, I walked along the north coast of the Isle of Sheppey between Sheerness and Leysdown. The cliffs here are made of mud and are constantly collapsing. As I neared Leysdown I came across several wartime buildings on the beach that had come down with the mudslides - some were almost intact...

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
We have similar types here in Portsmouth, the most noticeable is a complete length of Mulberry Harbour, which never made it to the D-Day area.

I was out running on Sunday and found a Bluetooth Selfie Stick lying in the grass. I left a note on a post in the nearby carpark with my email address on it. The following day I met a lady, who described it to me, gave it back to her and she walked away happy.

At one of the carparks on top of Portsdown Hill, a lady has recently opened a mobile pancake/crepes kiosk. When I strolled to have a closer look I was surprised to find that she does NOT accept cash, only cards. Usually in my experience, its cash and not cards, so that's a first for me. I bought one, strawberries and cream, delicious!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
I like finding PRoWs that pass through interesting places such as deer parks. Today, my wife and I took a little-known footpath that goes straight through a wild animal park near Canterbury. Not many walks have taken us to within a few yards of elephants!  :)

(The photo is from today's Completely Covering Kent post...)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Camina Walks

The most interesting thing I've come across when walking  around the streets of London, is that it is not uncommon to see people dressed in a manner that I don 't even understand.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Do I catch a whiff of spiced ham heading this way soon?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
+1 on the preserved pork.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
No, no, no guys.  You've got it all wrong.  Camina Walks will become a valued and regular contributing member of the forum, posting trip reports on here and organising forum meets and giving advice on gear and walks and stuff and fings  O0

Doddy

On the later stages of the Cape Wrath Trail I came across a dead stag in a small stream. It is therefore not a myth that it is advisable not to drink direct from a stream as there may be something dead in it further up. My second such discovery.
I did fancy a bit of antler for knife handle but soon gave up as I was not making much impression with Swiss Army Knife

Ridge

• Veteran Member
No, no, no guys.  You've got it all wrong.  Camina Walks will become a valued and regular contributing member of the forum, posting trip reports on here and organising forum meets and giving advice on gear and walks and stuff and fings  O0
Mel's been drinking again.

pleb

• Veteran Member
Innitt!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy