Author Topic: Stability of Mobile Phone Navigation Apps  (Read 5773 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Stability of Mobile Phone Navigation Apps
« Reply #60 on: 13:17:07, 06/01/19 »
Hi Ninthace I have used several tracking apps but now I have stopped tracking altogether, I just use the OS maps and I don't bother looking at the mileage anymore, I found it liberating because I'm not constantly checking my phone anymore, I'm just enjoying the walking, but I appreciate that some people like to track their walks, I did it for two years before I stopped, there are that many apps on the market it's a bit of a minefield but I hope you get sorted, I may well return to tracking one day but for now I'm just enjoying the freedom of walking, good luck :)
I love my etrex but have noticed if I am not careful I can rely on it more than I really prefer. I only started using a gps around 9 months ago, as before that it was alwaysOS map and the compass if needed.
I found it liberating in one way because I am doing hikes now that I wouldnt have dreamed of with paper maps, as at my age, using one would slow me down too much in areas that I really wasn`t familiar with, having to reference it so much. Im getting on a tad. Years ago my memory was much better and so could envisage the route more in my head.I do feel something is lost if I use the gps too much. A bit of yin & yang going on. Something gained and something lost ???
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 13:21:16, 06/01/19 »
Hi Ninthace I have used several tracking apps but now I have stopped tracking altogether, I just use the OS maps and I don't bother looking at the mileage anymore, I found it liberating because I'm not constantly checking my phone anymore, I'm just enjoying the walking, but I appreciate that some people like to track their walks, I did it for two years before I stopped, there are that many apps on the market it's a bit of a minefield but I hope you get sorted, I may well return to tracking one day but for now I'm just enjoying the freedom of walking, good luck :)
You are confusing 2 things there - tracking and navigating /route finding.
The tracking function is primarily to record your route over the ground so you know where you are and where you have been.  It is also useful for later reference when you get back, for example to look at your route on GoogleEarth or to maintain a walking log.
Navigation functions are to find out where you are and where to go next.  As I alluded to previously, the audio functions are useful in this regard because they let you know you are going in the right direction without even looking at your device.  Even without these however, there is absolutely no need to constantly check your device. I usually just walk but if I am ever unsure where to go next or need to confirm a decision then I flick the gps off my pack, glance at it and then replace it, usually a matter of seconds.  To me this more liberating than having to stop, open the map, work out where I am and which way I came to get there so I can work out where to go next and then have to refold and stow the map.  Even map pockets do not totally get round this problem.  You also lose the ability rapidly to work out how far you have come and more importantly how far you have left to go and when you will get there.
The only time I am likely to refer frequently to my device is if I am walking a preplanned route over trackless ground, especially in poor visibility but this is no different to walking a compass bearing except that I have far more confidence in where I am and where I am going.  Map navigation is also far more difficult in reduced visibility without constant reference to the map to keep track (see what I did there?) of where you are.

Enjoy your walking - however you chose to do it.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 13:31:58, 06/01/19 »
I love my etrex but have noticed if I am not careful I can rely on it more than I really prefer. I only started using a gps around 9 months ago, as before that it was alwaysOS map and the compass if needed.
I found it liberating in one way because I am doing hikes now that I wouldnt have dreamed of with paper maps, as at my age, using one would slow me down too much in areas that I really wasn`t familiar with, having to reference it so much. Im getting on a tad. Years ago my memory was much better and so could envisage the route more in my head.I do feel something is lost if I use the gps too much. A bit of yin & yang going on. Something gained and something lost ???
Interesting point about remembering your route.  I have long since started to draw my pension but I find the act of preparing and detailed plotting of my route from the comfort and warmth of my armchair helps me to memorise the route to the point that when I walk it, I have a really good idea where to go and what navigational features to look out for.  This adds to the walking pleasure by reducing the navigational task.  The 3D fly through feature also helps to visualise what the terrain is going to look like, especially if done in conjunction with an aerial view.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 13:59:26, 06/01/19 »
Interesting point about remembering your route.  I have long since started to draw my pension but I find the act of preparing and detailed plotting of my route from the comfort and warmth of my armchair helps me to memorise the route to the point that when I walk it, I have a really good idea where to go and what navigational features to look out for.  This adds to the walking pleasure by reducing the navigational task.  The 3D fly through feature also helps to visualise what the terrain is going to look like, especially if done in conjunction with an aerial view.
I find routes at higher altitude often easier to remember, as there are far less field boundaries etc, especially in parts of the national parks.I think I am sometimes concerned I will carry on too far if I am on a  nice trail when I should have left it miles back, especially on a high level ridge if the views are great and I am really enjoying it. I get into a comfort zone & walk without thinking about directions too much..
I use that fly through and enjoy seeing what the paths look like from the air. Sometimes nothing can be made out if it is forested but other times its really clear. I plotted a route taking in a large farm complex recently and on the OS map it looked to me like it might be daunting, from the pointof view that I might feel I am intruding there.. but from the 3d view and later actually walking it. It was a place that felt inviting to walkers.

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Walk666

« Reply #64 on: 16:30:51, 06/01/19 »
To be fair I really only walk Lincolnshire fens and some towns so there's not much chance of me getting into too much trouble  I can see how GPS could be a life saver in mountainous or other regions, I see your point completely  :)
Walking the right of way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy