Author Topic: Sintra  (Read 2162 times)

Oldtramp

Sintra
« on: 22:07:56, 20/04/17 »
Long shot.

I have a meeting in Lisbon, early June and thought to spend the preceding weekend in the Sintra area, just NW of the city.

Stanfords have sold me a 1:25000 map, with a truly crummy little compass attached, like the ones you used to get in a 'Lucky Bag' when I was a child. I can only hope the map itself is more reliable and I did manage to find this article, which provides some ideas - https://www.timeoutdoors.com/trips/Portugal/hill-walking-Sintra-and-Lisbon-Coast

Has anyone got experience, recommendations?

Oldtramp

Re: Sintra
« Reply #1 on: 23:04:47, 25/06/17 »
Well, just in case anyone follows......  The Adventure Maps Parque Natural Sintra Cascais 1:25000 is accurate and there's an old Sunflower Guide that I got secondhand, which provided some ideas.

First day I caught a bus to Cabo do Roca, the westernmost tip of Europe and wandered north on the GR11, well waymarked, for about 8-9 miles, to Praia da Aguda, then cut inland to a bus stop at Colares, on paths with hazier waymarking.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:54:04, 25/06/17 »
Lovely pics, the last one looks like a model.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:29:21, 26/06/17 »
Wow, and glad the map worked out.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:47:58, 26/06/17 »
Gorgeous landscape. Glad you made the 'work' element worth the journey
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Oldtramp

« Reply #5 on: 14:26:25, 26/06/17 »
And a 4h Sunday-morning stroll up the hill behind Sintra itself to the Cruz Alta, through the Moors' Castle and past the Pena Palace, built as a summer retreat from Lisbon's heat by a C19 king....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy