Author Topic: TR - Weald Way from Gravesend (Part 1)  (Read 2155 times)

Warbler

TR - Weald Way from Gravesend (Part 1)
« on: 20:56:16, 12/09/20 »
I hadn’t been on a multi-day walk since my Offa’s Dyke Path effort in May last year, which I had to abort about halfway through due to a strained Achilles tendon.

I chose the Weald Way because it appeared to be easy to moderate as far as the terrain was concerned, and therefore good for building up confidence again that my tendon could take the strain of several days walking, albeit with a lighter pack, as I was staying in budget hotels along the way, as opposed to camping. Also, it was relatively easy for me to get to the start at Gravesend by train, and then home by train from the finish at Eastbourne. I was also looking forward to giving my latest purchase – a Lowe Alpine Airzone 35:45 sack – a run out.

Day 1 – Gravesend to Wrotham Heath – 15.5 miles

After getting on a train to London, and then another to Gravesend, I walked to the river to find the start. I couldn’t find an official start point so thought this is as good a place as any and set off just before noon.

The first 3 miles or so where not enjoyable at all. Pavement pounding at a non-social distance from the traffic whizzing by.

Once away from the A2 though there was a pleasant walk along field edges and pathways.

I had a 5 minute trespass in this cosy little area right beside the path, just to rearrange some of my gear and take on some water.

Arriving on Henley Down the views started to really open up, with the parish of Luddesdown below. Now that looks a likely spot for a late lunch, with a bit of Saturday afternoon village cricket thrown in.

The Church of St Peter and St Paul in Luddesdown

Shortly after crossing the North Downs Way, and nearing the end of Day 1

Day 2 – Wrotham Heath to Tonbridge – 14.6 miles

There was to be a lot of walking through narrow woodland passages today. This was one of the wider ones.

Kent – The Garden of England

I knew I should have brought my machete

I loved this house. I think it’s Kent House Farm near East Peckham. I sat and had my lunch here at a grassy spot under the shade of a tree beside the quiet lane.

A zoom in on Hadlow Tower

On reaching the River Medway I knew I needed to turn right after crossing over on the bridge. After this there would be no navigation needed – just follow the river into Tonbridge.

However, for some reason I completely switched off and turned left and walked past these two boats instead. When I reached the trees beyond the second boat it dawned on me what I’d done. I now faced an embarrassing walk back past the two boats again. I heard giggles from the furthest boat, and then stopped and chatted with the occupants of the nearest boat and explained my stupidity.

Back on track, and walking doesn’t get much easier than this.

A delightful riverside walk took me into Tonbridge where I was to stay over for the night.

Day 3 – Tonbridge to Withyham – 13.4 miles

Day 3 started by continuing along the Medway for a short while.

Followed by a lot of field edges. All pleasant enough though.

The very attractive St Lawrence’s Church in Bidborough

I know what I’ll do here. I’ll avoid walking over that stony ground and go over that stile instead, and have my eyeballs gouged out by the thorny branches. One for the pointless stile thread, I think.

Just beyond the stile was a very short walk along the lane into the village of Withyham, where I had a “ Ice Cold in Alex” moment with a pint of Harvey’s Best in the Dorset Arms while waiting for a bus to take me to Tunbridge Wells, where I was to stay for two nights.

To be continued......

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Weald Way from Gravesend (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: 22:48:33, 12/09/20 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos    :)    Lovely riverside walking, and that's a fine house with the oasts

Looking forward to the next installment!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:01:49, 14/09/20 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos    :)    Lovely riverside walking, and that's a fine house with the oasts

Looking forward to the next installment!

+1
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:48:18, 14/09/20 »
Very nice Warbler.

I have fond memories of doing the Weald Way, it must be 12 years ago now.

We got into Eastbourne on a Bank Holiday Monday and discovered an all you can eat Chinese buffet. We stuck it away that afternoon.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:10:47, 14/09/20 »
Lovely pics Warbler of an area I know nothing about, nice to see and read about it  O0
Hate will never win

Warbler

« Reply #5 on: 20:17:25, 14/09/20 »
Cheers Dovegirl, Jac and Percy.

We got into Eastbourne on a Bank Holiday Monday and discovered an all you can eat Chinese buffet. We stuck it away that afternoon.

I enjoyed a sumptuous chunk of haddock sat outside Harry Ramsdens in Eastbourne.

Warbler

« Reply #6 on: 20:21:09, 14/09/20 »
Cheers April.

I knew very little about the area myself until last week.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:41:59, 15/09/20 »
Nice pics and report Warbler. O0

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:58:07, 15/09/20 »
Looks lovely, I recognise a lot of this walk from when I walked The Medway path. O0

Warbler

« Reply #9 on: 13:59:21, 15/09/20 »
Thanks Ridge.

Looks lovely, I recognise a lot of this walk from when I walked The Medway path. O0

I really enjoyed the riverside sections on this walk, but I don't think enjoy it day after day. I like a bit of variation.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:18:19, 17/09/20 »
Nice pics warbler O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy