Author Topic: Every walking photo tells a story  (Read 48833 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Every walking photo tells a story
« Reply #225 on: 12:06:57, 23/07/16 »
Fabulous BWW, glad our exchange reminded you.
Isn't it amazing that years later the memory of touching the rock still remains !

Funny isn't, the memory of a hot day on White Ghyll was recalled by your exchange but not till I was actually writing the post the memory of those small sweaty fingerprints disappearing before my eyes came back.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #226 on: 18:38:27, 24/07/16 »

The River Aire flowing thro the Dark Arches under Leeds station complex....

Where do you all go on a wet Sunday in the hills?

I had heard many rumours about the mysterious Dark Arches under Leeds city station, a rare chance to get a glimpse of the Victorian heart of the city.

A couple of weekends ago the weekend weather forecast was naff so we decided to jump on a train to Leeds and do a city walk for a change. One of the places we wanted to visit was the Dark Arches.

They were formed in the mid 1800's when several railway companies amalgamated and found the solution of merging railway stations meant building Arches over the top of  the river Aire and several main thoroughfares.

Allegedly it soon became of the places to be avoided as it was frequented by idlers, criminals and loose women who would lure their customers into secluded spots among the workshops and small businesses, only for them to be joined by a male companion who would beat and rob the unfortunate and unwary customer.

Recently it has been sanitised as part of the Granary Wharfe modern cafe scene, a shopping centre, car parks and a hotel BUT its still a cool place to wander round..................

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #227 on: 08:22:55, 27/07/16 »

Probably the best scramble in the Peak District easy access above the road

Looking back at my notes I had not been to the Peak District for ages so we decided to go down the grit for a few days.

Our des res accomodation is a climbing in Froggatt village amongst the wealthy commuter and weekend holiday cottages, we arrive late afternoon and as usual we get it to ourselves today.

After tea we walk straight up the hill behind the hut to Froggatt edge and spend an evening on the gritstone, its pure joy, physical excercise watching the sun go down, don't come no better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next day we decide to go across to Castleton to do a scramble/walk. Now they have put parking meters in its starting to get very difficult to park for free in the Castleton area nowadays. If I go there at a weekend in future I will be parking half way round the circuit.

The route.......Starting up Elbow Ridge then dropping down diagonally to do Matterhorn Ridge, these 2 are probably the best scrambles in the Peak District. We then go across to Mam Tor, Rushup Edge then drop down to Eldon Hill Quarry before joining the Limestone Way footpath down and past the amazing Peveril Castle.

One of my fave walks in the Peak District.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #228 on: 08:32:28, 30/07/16 »

Penghent and Crummockdale in the evening sun

This summer we have been spending some time in the Yorkshire Dales partly because the weather had been unreliable in the Lakes and Wales and partly because we have found a brill hut to stay at.

Over the weeks at £5.50pppn its become a bit of a home from home for us...........

Its quite an amazing place originaly it was aquired as a golf club hut but that fell thro so it has amazing views almost like one of the old country estates.

I find summer far to hot for walking in the midday sun on these lowland hills so we have been taking advantage of the conditions by going sport climbing on the cool north facing crags such as Fordale even dabbling with some caving another great way of getting out of the heat.

Then returning back to the hut for an early tea before taking advantage of the late nights by going for an evening walk.
This was one such walk we did round the Norber erratics, we went onto onto the area nr Long Scar overlooking Crummackdale with Penyghent as a backdrop.

In the evening sun it looked stunning, I was quite taken with this area so not suprisingly many of our evening walks after this featured Moughton Scar from some direction.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #229 on: 11:55:54, 31/07/16 »
Once again big thanks to all who have supported the last three photo posts.

The next question is what do you do with your photos, I don't know about you guys but I have tens of thousands of photos stored and backed up gathering dust, some are naff some are ok.

BUT

Each one of them has its own story of some outdoor related event whether it be birding, trainspotting, scrambling, climbing, bouldering, flowers, vintage cars, ice climbing,  canal walks, city Walks, wild camping in fact anything that gives me an excuse to go walking.

So yes variety is still the name of the walking game for me, this is my way of trying to use my photos......
Hopefully there will still be a little bit of something for everyone...... if anyone wants to contribute feel free....

Once again the photos have started to fall of this post so its time to shut it down...........

As above the object of this post was to use my photo backlog too generate a bit of variety to the forum so there would be a little something for everyone with an interest in walking.

Subjects covered:-

Skye Ridge walk, Walking in Sardinia, Sea Canoeing in Sardinia, Lake District Landscapes, Bouldering at Brimham, Ilkey Landscape, Rannock Moor Landscape, Scottish winter mountaineering, Walking in Shropshire, Munro Bagging, Scottiash Island Landscapes,, Vintage Cars, Welsh Landscapes, Geology, Walks in the Yorkshire Wolds, Canadian Wildlife, Urban Landscapes, Classic Rock Climbing in the Lakes, Blue Bell vistas, Scottish Ridgewalking, Live music, Seascape photos, Ornithology Photos, Walks in London, Pie eating, Architectural photos, Gritstone Landscape, Hunting photos, Sea cliff climbing, Subterranian walking, Natural History, Train Spotting, Breaking News stories, Poppy Fields, Mountaineering in the USA, Scottish Rock Climbing, Walking in the North Yorkshire Moors, Walking in Northern Scotland, East Coast Landscapes, Photos of my 'Shed of the Year', White water Kayaking, Gypsy horse fair photos, Scrambling walk in Langdale, Lavender Landscapes, Action animal photos, Scrambling in thr Peak District and finally walking in the Yorkdhire Dales.

Once again big thanks to all who have contributed or supported the last four photo posts.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #230 on: 12:16:13, 31/07/16 »
Thanks for taking the time & trouble MWM - I certainly enjoyed the variety and associated stories.
I especially liked the Arran series which has inspired me to look at this as a location for some adventure.

Hope to see some more - whenever you are able  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

PeakRambler

« Reply #231 on: 18:57:02, 31/07/16 »

Probably the best scramble in the Peak District easy access above the road

Looking back at my notes I had not been to the Peak District for ages so we decided to go down the grit for a few days.

Our des res accomodation is a climbing in Froggatt village amongst the wealthy commuter and weekend holiday cottages, we arrive late afternoon and as usual we get it to ourselves today.

After tea we walk straight up the hill behind the hut to Froggatt edge and spend an evening on the gritstone, its pure joy, physical excercise watching the sun go down, don't come no better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next day we decide to go across to Castleton to do a scramble/walk. Now they have put parking meters in its starting to get very difficult to park for free in the Castleton area nowadays. If I go there at a weekend in future I will be parking half way round the circuit.

The route.......Starting up Elbow Ridge then dropping down diagonally to do Matterhorn Ridge, these 2 are probably the best scrambles in the Peak District. We then go across to Mam Tor, Rushup Edge then drop down to Eldon Hill Quarry before joining the Limestone Way footpath down and past the amazing Peveril Castle.

One of my fave walks in the Peak District.

AS soon as I saw the first photo, I thought Winnats Pass

Lovely photos.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #232 on: 19:06:38, 03/08/16 »
Thanks guys

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #233 on: 17:46:19, 15/08/16 »
Just testing some links in HMTL

« Last Edit: 18:19:41, 15/08/16 by midweekmountain »

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #234 on: 00:53:42, 16/08/16 »

We are receiving you Houston (Beep) !
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #235 on: 13:18:43, 04/09/16 »

« Last Edit: 14:25:02, 04/09/16 by midweekmountain »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy