Author Topic: Where to see wildlife near London  (Read 2469 times)

Petrolhead

Where to see wildlife near London
« on: 12:36:12, 22/10/18 »

Hi guys, just after a little advice please. When we're out walking, always the highlight for Mrs Petrolhead is when we catch a glimpse of some wildlife. Usually cows, pheasants or squirrels. We've had two chance meetings with deer that were amazing too.

So, this got me thinking, she would be absolutely thrilled if we could see some proper wildlife somewhere and I'd love to be able to take her on a walk that would include some animal sightings as a surprise for her. 

So, any advice as to somewhere we could travel to for a walk that maximises our chances of seeing interesting wildlife?

Anywhere within 2 hours drive of London would be fine.

Of course we're well aware of the reserves in London where we could see deer but we're looking for a much more out in the wild experience.

Figured it was worth an ask.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where to see wildlife near London
« Reply #1 on: 12:45:04, 22/10/18 »
The Chilterns, especially the scarps from Bradenham to Tring are good for sightings of roe deer and muntjac. If you are careful you can get quite close. Also a good area for birds e.g Goldcrests.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:35:27, 22/10/18 »
The New Forest is a mixture of woods and heath. There are plenty of deer and ponies, plus birds, adders, etc. Although the car parks and roads can get busy, you don’t have to walk far to avoid the crowds.

Also there are some good pubs around for after the walk (at least for the one not driving🙂).

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:58:44, 22/10/18 »
The Chilterns, especially the scarps from Bradenham to Tring are good for sightings of roe deer and muntjac. If you are careful you can get quite close. Also a good area for birds e.g Goldcrests.

Plus red kites are almost guaranteed, and buzzards likely too.

Or how about Thursley Common in Surrey? Off the A3 near Godalming, it is a huge expanse of open heathland, with a 2.25 miles trail that includes a lengthy boardwalk over the wetter parts. Save it for late spring/early summer when you have a chance of seeing lizards and snakes.

(If you're into reptiles there's a large public site just on the west of London where you can see adders in early May, PM me for details if this interests you.)

Depending on what part of London you're in, your local Wildlife Trust will have a round-the-year programme of group walks for anyone to attend to see birds, badgers, bats or whatever. There are groups for London, Herts & Middlesex, Essex, Kent and Surrey, check your local library for leaflets, or there should be info online.
« Last Edit: 14:10:45, 22/10/18 by fernman »

Petrolhead

« Reply #4 on: 15:18:59, 22/10/18 »

We were actually in the area on Saturday, but we only did Coombe Hill, which was lovely in the Autumn sunshine. Will add your recomendations to our list, thanks a lot mate.

Petrolhead

« Reply #5 on: 15:20:08, 22/10/18 »
The New Forest is a mixture of woods and heath. There are plenty of deer and ponies, plus birds, adders, etc. Although the car parks and roads can get busy, you don’t have to walk far to avoid the crowds.

Also there are some good pubs around for after the walk (at least for the one not driving🙂).

I've never even looked at the New Forest, thanks Mike, deer and ponies would make Mrs Petrolhead's day!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:49:06, 22/10/18 »
My experience of the New Forest would suggest hiding your sandwiches from the ponies!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:02:44, 22/10/18 »
I'm not a southerner so don't know the area well but years ago I did go down there for work. I was always surprised by how unspoiled the Kent Wolds were. I would have thought a walk around there would give a good chance of seeing something. If you like birds then the tidal mudflats around Sheerness and the Isle of Sheppey are teaming with waders. Epping forest is another likely spot.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:22:30, 22/10/18 »
I've seen deer in Parham Park, which is on the West Sussex Literary Trail, and in Eridge Old Park, which is on the High Weald Landscape Trail near Tunbridge Wells.

Petrolhead

« Reply #9 on: 09:41:24, 23/10/18 »
Plus red kites are almost guaranteed, and buzzards likely too.

Or how about Thursley Common in Surrey? Off the A3 near Godalming, it is a huge expanse of open heathland, with a 2.25 miles trail that includes a lengthy boardwalk over the wetter parts. Save it for late spring/early summer when you have a chance of seeing lizards and snakes.

(If you're into reptiles there's a large public site just on the west of London where you can see adders in early May, PM me for details if this interests you.)

Depending on what part of London you're in, your local Wildlife Trust will have a round-the-year programme of group walks for anyone to attend to see birds, badgers, bats or whatever. There are groups for London, Herts & Middlesex, Essex, Kent and Surrey, check your local library for leaflets, or there should be info online.

Fernman, thanks a lot, I've just had a look and found what sounds like and excellent walk around Thursley Common.

Great advice on the other bits too, I'll have a look into it.

Cheers.

Petrolhead

« Reply #10 on: 09:41:52, 23/10/18 »
My experience of the New Forest would suggest hiding your sandwiches from the ponies!

;D  I'll make sure we bring some sacrificial food!

Petrolhead

« Reply #11 on: 09:43:10, 23/10/18 »
I'm not a southerner so don't know the area well but years ago I did go down there for work. I was always surprised by how unspoiled the Kent Wolds were. I would have thought a walk around there would give a good chance of seeing something. If you like birds then the tidal mudflats around Sheerness and the Isle of Sheppey are teaming with waders. Epping forest is another likely spot.

We did Epping Forest a few months back. Loved it. It's pretty close to home too, definitely going back.

And my in-laws live near the Kent Wolds, that gives us something to do next time we're down there, thanks a lot.

Petrolhead

« Reply #12 on: 09:43:54, 23/10/18 »
I've seen deer in Parham Park, which is on the West Sussex Literary Trail, and in Eridge Old Park, which is on the High Weald Landscape Trail near Tunbridge Wells.

Both good shouts Dovegirl, thanks for that. Added them both to our list.

Ronin83

« Reply #13 on: 20:09:17, 23/10/18 »
Chilterns. Seen loads of kites around lately.
There were wallabies on Dunstable downs, not sure if theyre still there.

Petrolhead

« Reply #14 on: 22:02:11, 23/10/18 »
Chilterns. Seen loads of kites around lately.
There were wallabies on Dunstable downs, not sure if theyre still there.

Wallabies down here too? I know there were some in the Peak District that haven't been seen for a few years. It would be quite the thing to happen upon a wallaby while out walking. Going to look into that, thanks.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy