Author Topic: Feeling strange after Striding Edge  (Read 1044 times)

NatalieJane

Feeling strange after Striding Edge
« on: 21:57:46, 30/04/19 »
Hi,

I walked Striding Edge on Sunday and found it a challenge but enjoyable. Since then I’ve been feeling disorientated and as if I am still on the ridge and the sensation is increasing. Is this usual and is there anything I can do to stop it? I’ve not walked anything as exposed before and I’m wondering if it will just pass.

Thanks

Natalie

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Feeling strange after Striding Edge
« Reply #1 on: 22:16:25, 30/04/19 »
A cold coming on?

Hayfever?

Vertigo?

Ear infection?

Still "high" on the adrenaline rush?

If you still feel like it in a day or two with no obvious cold/illness coming out then the best person to ask this question is your doctor  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:33:10, 30/04/19 »
Welcome to the forum NatalieJane.  Can't say I have ever heard of such a thing before.  During the trip and immediately afterwards perhaps.  The only thing I feel after coming off such places is relief, well that and worn out.  If the feeling persists, I would certainly have a word with your GP.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:01:09, 01/05/19 »
Welcome to the forum NatalieJane.

I've never experienced or heard of anything like this before. If you are having issues with balance, it could be ear related. As others have suggested, if the feeling does not subside, see your doctor.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:26:08, 01/05/19 »
An overactive imagination perhaps? I know when I have hiked in 'exiting' places I can sometimes have vivid dreams of the danger that I've walked through.

The last time I experienced this was in 2015 in the Pyrenees. I was walking a sunken path with large stones and boulders everywhere and it was pouring hard and had been most of the night.

At one point along this path, by now only the right-hand side was steep, a plume of water, stones and earth blasted out from the right-hand side of the path straight in front of me, the noise and the water power was terrific! It gave me an instant real scare and I had two choices, to go back or stroll across the water flow which by now was 6-8' wide. I didn't want to go back so quickly took off my boots and socks and slung them around my neck, put on my flip flops and used my hiking sticks to prod my way through it. My worry was to find that under my feet there would be a hole of water to fall into, but thankfully there wasn't! I don't think I would have attempted it without the security of my sticks, in hindsight so very useful.

When I settled into my tent that night it played on my mind about the danger I could have been in, the next day my brain was back to normal.

NatalieJane

« Reply #5 on: 20:51:46, 01/05/19 »
Thanks for the replies - I don’t think it’s a cold, I did think maybe overactive imagination but the symptoms have continued  still feeling disorientation, confusion and off balance. I’ve not had it before and am usually fine with heights. I will see if it sorts itself out - if not will visit GP.

Thanks again

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy