Author Topic: Are Alpkit sleeping bags any good?  (Read 5999 times)

snoopdawg

Re: Are Alpkit sleeping bags any good?
« Reply #15 on: 20:33:24, 08/10/19 »
I used the Pipedream 400 with a cloudbase mat last week on my Cairngorms trip. Temps initially were warm overnight but getting colder. I do use a liner, partly to keep the bag clean and was warm throughout in shorts and thermal top ( in particular Callater bothy which was freezing out the bag)

Man wae a dug

« Reply #16 on: 20:50:39, 08/10/19 »
Thanks Owen.

I reckon it's between the Alpkit Pipedream 400, Skyehigh 500 and the Rab Ascent 300.  Reckon the Rab is the front runner though.  O0

Snoopdawg - Appreciate the info Blood.......or is Snoop a Crip?  ;)  I'm sure he's a Crip (with his blue flag hanging out his backside, but only on the left side...) but I forget! lol.  The one thing putting me of the Pipedream is that it's a tapered mummy, the Rab is a tad wider and I reckon I'll appreciate the wee bit extra room.   

How is the cloudbase?  I was looking at that as well as the Airo 180.
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

snoopdawg

« Reply #17 on: 21:01:52, 08/10/19 »
Ive only ever used the cloudbase and a heavier Mountain equipment for my backpacking (apart from Karrimats years ago). The cloud base was bought for the warmer months and I find it suitable for me between April and October, the ME comes into use other months. Its a comfortable mat the only fault I find with it, is that it moves with me when I turn which can be frustrating and has caused a fall from a bothy bench. Im going to stick with it for its weight and packsize plus the fact that I only paid £40 for it.

as for the crip, haven't got a Scooby what you are on about!!! :)

Man wae a dug

« Reply #18 on: 21:11:30, 08/10/19 »
lol Snoop Dogg was/is a gang member of either the Bloods or the Crips, hence my reference to it.  :-[  I'm assuming with your name that you know who he is? lol

Thanks for the info, the weight/pack size to cost ratio is the main reason I was looking at it. April to October will be my time-frame for using it as well and I reckon most mats would move around anyway.

snoopdawg

« Reply #19 on: 21:28:55, 08/10/19 »
No named after my departed and much missed Westie, mountain pal for 7 yrs.

Man wae a dug

« Reply #20 on: 21:47:45, 08/10/19 »
Ah, I see. Sometimes you take a swing and miss the ball..... :-[ 

Your advice has helped me make my mind up though, going to shop around for the 300 and I've opted in to a notification from Alpkit for when the cloudbase is back in stock.  That's two more items I can tick off my list and I can start looking at stoves now. Thanks again. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy