Author Topic: Not Jeans  (Read 1617 times)

Agentorange

Not Jeans
« on: 20:24:03, 26/11/19 »
I only really started walking last year and so am working my way through the posts here to gain ideas about what to wear.

Pretty much a common theme is: Not Jeans. Sadly this is pretty much all I own  ;D Now bear in mind I live down in Kent am always doing short walks ( about 4 miles ) and am never too far from civilisation

With that in mind, why not jeans and bearing in mind I am on a budget what would be the best thing instead ?
« Last Edit: 20:31:50, 26/11/19 by Agentorange »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Not Jeans
« Reply #1 on: 20:34:14, 26/11/19 »
The reason that jeans are such a bad idea is that they can soak up huge amounts of water/sweat that can really chill you in cold conditions. Polyester and other man made fibres do not hold much water when wet, and dry out quickly. Any cheap comfortable non cotton trousers would be better than jeans - keep an eye on Lidl or other discount stores - they sometimes do walking, jogging or even work trousers that would be suitable. I use Ron Hill Tracksters when I'm out in the wilds, plus fibre pile and overtrousers in real winter conditions on the hill.

That being said, you are unlikely to get into serious trouble in wet jeans doing 4 miles in Kent.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:41:08, 26/11/19 »
Horses for courses.I do 4 miles daily, around the town etc. And wear what'd er I feel like as I know I can get dry, if soaked, very easily.
It is different twenty miles away from civilisation up on the hills in winter, when coldness and wetness could led to hyperthermia.
So given that you are in the equatorial region south of the Thames walking in jeans should never be problematic for you.
Many outdoors workers do their shifts in denims so no need to fall for the marketing hype for your particular type of walking.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:50:02, 26/11/19 »
Thing is, 50 years ago when we didn't know any better lots of us went walking in jeans. If it's cold or wet other things are more comfortable, and if you head off up scottish hills getting cold and wet might lead to hypothermia. But if you are walking within shouting distance of civilization in the south of England, I would wear what you've got.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:44:59, 27/11/19 »
On a budget you won't go far wrong with a pair of Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Trousers which can often be bought for under £20. (It costs a bit more for their stretch versions).

If you want a pair of waterproof overtrousers to go with them have a look at the Berghaus Deluge which can often be bought for around £25.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:57:32, 27/11/19 »
I own two pairs of Decathlon hiking trousers, bought just over a year ago. They are really great, hard wearing, easy to wash, not baggy, not stretchy, quick to dry and they fit me perfectly. They were £7.99 each. When I hiked up to the top of Great Gable recently in the cold, I just wore my long johns underneath, no problems at all, my legs were as warm as toast.

My most expensive pair of hiking trousers were from Marmot, £70 but they are nowhere as good as my Decathlon's.

I'm sure they are not on sale now but bear with me. I'll have a look on the site and report back to you.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:09:14, 27/11/19 »
I've just checked the Decathlon site. Their hiking trousers start from £8.99 and there are about 20 types of trousers to choose from. I have no way of knowing if the quality, fit and materials are the same as the ones I've bought but it might be something to look at and compare and contrast with others that you might like.

Also I bought a pair of clear wrap around glasses a while ago, £3.99 and very good. A couple of weeks ago I bought some gloves to keep my hands warm, soft material, they do keep my hands warm and I have every reason to believe that they will last for a good while, £1.49 a pair.

I also have a pair of their hiking boots which I wore over a two week period in the Pyrenees kast year, 'nearly'  but not really waterproof, about £40 at the time, comfortable enough though but the sizing is a bit suspect. The surprise was how well the soles are, hardly a sign that I scuffed and kicked myself up a few steep and rocky mountains.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:05:34, 27/11/19 »
My contribution here is not unlike that from gunwharfman...

The trousers I wear for the great majority of my walks are the cheapest I've bought. At £24.99 from Mountain Warehouse, they were far cheaper than my most expensive pairs (£70+ Rab and £80+ Rohan) and better in most respects.

They're 100% nylon and the current version is called Explore. The two pairs I bought three years ago are almost identical to the new model but slightly better because they have an extra pair of zipped front pockets that work as vents in very hot weather. (The new version has 6 pockets instead of 8 and is almost as good.)

I can't praise the MW trousers enough: they're very light and cool, they're tough, they dry extremely quickly after a soaking, they're incredibly comfortable, and I think my faded khaki ones look the part too!  O0

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:41:41, 27/11/19 »
I get my trousers from Sports Direct shop in town. They are called LA Gear, cotton with a lightweight lining, comfortable and loose which is how I like them. Last time I bought some they had an offer on, £10 a pair, two pairs for £15. Added to the two pairs I already had I am all stocked up for a while. If it looks like it might rain I slip on a cheap pair of waterproofs.

I wear them all the time when I go out, even when not walking. If it is cold I put on a pair of knee length socks underneath, which I am wearing all the time through the winter months.

ilona

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:46:25, 27/11/19 »
I bought three pairs of Regatta walking trousers off E Bay, for £18 years ago. Two pairs of them had a pocket sewn so that I couldn`t get my hands in at all. I realised they were so cheap because of these faults.I carefully unpicked the stitching and found that in every other way they were perfect, and the pockets afterwards were fine.

I have worn them ever since. Loads of zipped pockets, and an expandable waist band which has managed to keep up with my fluctuating waist over the years . Light and warm, plus they dry quickly when being worn after a shower or two.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:17:04, 27/11/19 »
 Clothing for short local walks should be the same as you would wear for walking a couple of miles to the supermarket.My only gripe with jeans is that they are not very comfortable for walking in and feel horrible if they get wet.Rather than worrying too much about trousers its always a good idea to carry a pair of gloves during the winter months as freezing cold hands are very unpleasant and can leave you incapable of operating a phone if you do get into an emergency situation,ie,taken ill.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:24:56, 27/11/19 »
I can't praise the MW trousers enough: they're very light and cool, they're tough, they dry extremely quickly after a soaking, they're incredibly comfortable

I could say precisely the same about my Tog 24 'Reno' trousers, with the addition that they're fairly windproof, which yours probably are too. Maybe not so high on comfort, though, the material is a bit 'hard', but it's the quick drying that's the top of the list for me, for any wet splashes or wet knees from kneeling are gone in just a few minutes.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:06:14, 27/11/19 »
I think Tog24 are underrated. I have a couple of pairs of their trousers and two really great waterproof jacket, one lightweight one more for winter. Hard wearing quick drying trousers, jackets truly waterproof and as breathable as any jacket with their pitzips etc.
I buy them in an outlet shop in N. Shields, between Mountain Warehouse and Tresspass outlets, spoilt for choice when up home. No use for men of Kent though.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:13:20, 27/11/19 »
If you are 100% certain it is not going to rain, then Jeans are fine. ;D

Not that I have a single pair to my name. MrsG loves them though and being a strictly fair weather walker, wears them for many of our walks. O0

Agentorange

« Reply #14 on: 23:51:49, 27/11/19 »
If you are 100% certain it is not going to rain, then Jeans are fine. ;D

Not that I have a single pair to my name. MrsG loves them though and being a strictly fair weather walker, wears them for many of our walks. O0

This is England...is there any such as 100% certain it won't rain ?  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy