Author Topic: Any hiking plans for 2020?  (Read 4533 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Any hiking plans for 2020?
« Reply #30 on: 17:27:16, 25/12/19 »
Snowdon for New Year  AGAIN.
I simply cannot believe how quickly this year has flown.

It only seemed like a few months ago, that i was walking up the mountain in pea soup conditions, but its been a year.

Quite scary how time has flown this year, but weather permitting, Snowdon again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 11:23:15, 26/12/19 »
I was bored last night after watching Guardians of the Galaxy V2, not as good as the first in my view. A great film to watch after having a few glasses of wine though. Anyway, I digress, I then watched a few YouTube films about hiking trips, one bloke I viewed reckons that when we pitch our tents we should save our urine and sprinkle it around the tent in a circle to 'make our mark!' He claims it keeps any animals away. What do you think?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 11:44:08, 26/12/19 »
. What do you think?

I think that there are some real weirdos on the internet!!!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:14:20, 26/12/19 »
What animals do we need to keep away from the tent in the UK? As far as I know we don’t have bears, wolves, lynx, big cats or any other large predators. Assuming you don’t pitch your tent in the middle of a field of cows, you should be OK.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:03:24, 26/12/19 »
My biggest fear is 'wild women' disturbing me in the night!  :-[

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 19:15:34, 26/12/19 »
My biggest fear is 'wild women' disturbing me in the night!  :-[

Wishful thinking!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 19:02:51, 28/12/19 »
I hardly dare type this in case I jinx it but I am hoping to walk the Pennine Way this year.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 22:33:32, 28/12/19 »
Good luck with the Pennine Way :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 00:27:50, 07/01/20 »
I assume the southwest 2000s are going to be quite a long way from me in the north east of Scotland.

I shall have to check my typing, as I doubt I will be up to climbing much in 3030. I don’t have an Elixir of Life, but I do have some Water of Life - 15 year old Bowmore and Talisker :)

Indeed they are and not much of a challenge once you get here.  There is only one mountain in SW England and that has two peaks Yes tor and High Willhays.  I did them both yesterday. Doesn't take long.  I love the climb though and it's easy to add in a few more local tors if you enjoy a bit more climbing.

We have the Dartmoor 600s for the metrically minded.  That is a decent days walking at about 18 miles.
« Last Edit: 00:30:55, 07/01/20 by BuzyG »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 21:19:25, 07/01/20 »
I hardly dare type this in case I jinx it but I am hoping to walk the Pennine Way this year.
Work finally agreed the dates I want off today, so I started to book accommodation only to find that Forrest View is fully booked for the day I have to be there. AAaaaargh!

After much discussion with the lovely Joyce I am going to post a tent and sleeping bags to them so that we can pitch on the lawn.

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #40 on: 21:32:50, 07/01/20 »

O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

taxino8

« Reply #41 on: 22:03:12, 07/01/20 »
I’m going for an overnighter in the North Lakes with two lads who I joined the Army with in 1975, no doubt drink will play a big part as well as lots of tales of daring do’s and remembering mates who are no longer with us.
I’m really looking forward to it.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 09:33:14, 19/01/20 »
Hiking plans for 2020?  Well, the first plan was to get out more in 2020 than in 2019 which I've already accomplished with a Whernside circular.  The only major plan in place at the moment is a double Lyke Wake Walk attempt later in the year, also toying with the idea of doing the Y3P in reverse to the traditional route.  I'm hoping to have plenty of walks in between now and then though,  looking to pick up a couple of more Wainrights to add to the list (with a couple of wild camps thrown in), will probably do some walking in Northumbria (again hopefully with a couple of wild camps) and I'd like to spend a little more time in the NYM and the Yorkshire Dales.   

As for next walk, the Cleveland 3 peaks, something I've only recently discovered, have walked Roseberry Topping and Cook's Monument (Easby summit) both singularly and as a pair many times but never Highcliff Nab.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 10:13:43, 19/01/20 »
Although I hiked in La Palma recently I was handicapped somewhat by a nagging pain in my right lower calf, which I coped with by using my left leg more strongly and used my Pacerpoles a lot to help cope with this weakness. I know that if I didn't have them with me at the time I couldn't have hiked as far as I did.

This worked well enough but it's not the same as having two normal functioning legs. Yesterday was the best my right leg has been for ages, I could actually walk without limping. I'm going to plod on 'resting' it for a few more days and if I feel good by the end of this week I'm going to attempt to hike from Winchester to Queen Elizabeth Country Park, via the South Downs Way. If I need to cut it short them my wife will come and pick me up.

I hope this will be a good test for me and if it works out well I can then, I hope, plan confidently ahead into 2020. I particularly want to hike west of Clermont Ferrand to visit some of the extinct volcanoes (plus bars and restaurants of course) in the area. I also want to try cycle camping (now that my Hunker bivi, due to the recent zip that was fitted to it, it now is a much more usable item) I have already made a plan to cycle from Caen to the direction of Rennes, just got to decide when is the best time to do it. I think my thinking is OK, the only potential problem on the horizon (which may not be a problem at all) is the possibility of being snookered by unforeseen Brexit difficulties? Luckily this all kicks off at the end of January which is good for me because I have no plans for February anyway.   :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 10:55:45, 19/01/20 »
I think you will be OK during the transition period.  European travel problems, if any, are more likely to arise when our masters find that while they are able to do the impossible, miracles may take a little longer.  Hopefully I will be proved wrong.
My 2020 plans are on hold.  On the first walk of the year the tendons round by left knee started to feel sore. I tried to walk through it but had to give up after 4 miles.  That night the knee gave way completely as I went upstairs.  Since then I have trying to bring it back but it is slow going.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy