Author Topic: Too many races and events?  (Read 6951 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Too many races and events?
« Reply #30 on: 10:46:45, 11/02/18 »
Its a shame someone does not resurrect the famous South Wales Marathon Walk,  a traverse of the seven highest peaks in the entire Brecon Beacons, starting with Pen Y Gadair Fawr and finishing on Carmarthen Van.
It started or finished in either Capel y Fin, or Llandeausant near llandovery.

A distance just slightly over fifty miles, and even though its a walk too far for most walkers,  it would make a superb weekend for a fit party.

I completed it nine times, and boy do i miss the event, well organised by Chris Barber and the Gwent Mountaineering Club.

If someone restarted that walk, i would be amongst the first entrant.

One superb way of seeing everything that the whole Beacons National Park has on offer.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 10:58:14, 11/02/18 »

One superb way of seeing everything that the whole Beacons National Park has on offer.

http://www.beaconsultra.com/race-entry

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:59:08, 11/02/18 »
http://www.beaconsultra.com/race-entry
I’m not a big fan of such events, but let me know you’re entry number DA and I’ll come and cheer you on  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:55:54, 11/02/18 »

Well, no excuses now, your wish has been granted  O0

Looking forward to your progress and of course the photos/video
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 15:17:23, 11/02/18 »
Yep giving a bit of support will justify a day or so out. Looking forward to it Dyffryn, thanks for the opportunity fora trip down to Wales.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 16:32:00, 11/02/18 »
Brilliant stuff DA  :)   

Hopefully there will be a live tracker like with the Spine race so those that can't get out there to support you can dot watch your progress and post very regular updates on here.  You'll have to let us know your competitor/entry number.

Oh, I'm so excited  :D   Apart from Slogger, I've not known anyone else active on the forum take part in a challenge event.

Go DA. Go  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 16:41:30, 11/02/18 »
Whoops, need to be careful what we say on this forum!  ;D

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 17:10:24, 11/02/18 »
I don't know about many of the other ultra events that take place, however i assume that they follow a similar procedure as the organisers of the Spine Race. These events charge hefty fees for taking part, however with their increasing popularity is evident that many people want to do them. Chances are that oif they weren't doing the event they would be running or walking elswhere.
The Spine Race takes place with the full consultation and blessing of the PW National trail officer with whom the organisers consult. Due to the very wet conditions beforehand this year there, at the request of said officer, several diversions took competitors away from series of fields and along country lanes instead.
Part of the entry fees that the organisers collect goes towards the generous donations they make to the PW National Trail and Mountain rescue teams.
Another aspect is the amount of business these races bring to often quiet villages. The normally (pre Spine) quiet village of Edale and surrounding accomodation are booked out the weekend of the event and the once empty pubs are full to busting, having to draft in extra staff to cope. I wonder if they would be complaining.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 19:12:42, 11/02/18 »
The last South Wales Marathon walk, took place in 1998 or there abouts, and unlike the Beacons Ultra, was a walk, and anyone trying to run it, or break into a canter, was heavily frowned upon.
The organisation was superb, accommodation and all food was provided,  and the local Brecon scouts group, used to set up camp every year, and prepare breakfast for everyone, when we all reached Usk bridge, if the route started at Capel Y fin,  or the Pont Y Daf carpark, if it had started at Llandeusant.

The event started as long ago as 1947, when seven members of the Gwent Mountaineering club, set off on the 17 May from Llandeusant's Red Lion Inn, and took in the seven highest peaks in the entire National Park.

As Capel Y Fin youth hostel, was on a direct line with the descent from Pen Y Gadair Fawr in the Black Mountains above Llanthony, it was decided to use that as a permanent base.

I think the only reason the very well established event came to an end,  was because of the closure of Capel Y Fin youth Hostel, otherwise, it would still be going strong.

As a long weekend route, i recon it cannot be surpassed in the the whole of South Wales.

The regular faces you met every year, was pure magic,   oh what a shame Capel Y fin closed.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:17:47, 11/02/18 »

Sod that boring nonsense.  We want to know all about your training plan for for this 'ere event you've nominated yourself for  :)

We're all rooting for you DA  O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:23:07, 11/02/18 »
You must all be mistaken, i am not taking part in the Brecon Ultra, Tonyk has got mixed up with his events.
Someone ( Tonyk) has mistakenly confused the South Wales Marathon Walk, which was one of the longest running continuous running Challenge Event in the Uk, until its demise in 1997 or 8, with the Brecon Ultra.

Their totally separate events.

Its the South wales Marathon walk i would love to do again,  not this probably overpriced Brecons Ultra.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:28:29, 11/02/18 »
Gutted  :(

If you want to do the South Wales Marathon Walk again, why not organise it yourself.  Sounds like you know the route well enough, having completed it 9 times.  You could post it as a weekend forum meet  O0

Murphy

« Reply #42 on: 19:58:48, 11/02/18 »
 :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 20:04:49, 11/02/18 »
The organisation would be far too complex and difficult, for a single individual to take on.
Mr Chris Barber had around seven assistants who he could rely on come what may, every single year, two of them, Mr Sandy Waring, the then Gp in Crickhowell, took annual leave to help with medical assistance for the event.
Two qualified Doctors, constant communication with the main Beacons Mountain rescue service, as well as being able to block book both Youth hostels.

I would love to give the walk a go, but organising it myself, i simply would be out of my depth, having had no experience in organising such a complex event.

Just imagine the logistical nightmare, if an entrant got lost, or even worse, suffered life changing injuries, resulting in me being sued for negligence.

Such an event, would need the backing of a much larger group of individuals, all of whom could trust each others judgement in an emergency situation.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:37:57, 11/02/18 »
Oh well  ::)  On a plus note, there’s still a few tickets left to see Andy Kirkpatrick in Brecon tomorrow night, swmbo and I are really looking forward to it  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy