Author Topic: Forest of dean  (Read 831 times)

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
Forest of dean
« on: 19:04:49, 22/09/20 »
A slightly unusual one for me and not after a particularly precise answer;

Myself and my brother have decided to take ourselves off for a couple of days of "time out" and, as neither of us have visited the forest of Dean we're considering it but somewhere to stay is a bit of a challenge these days...

Being quite methodical about these things, the first question, of course, is where? Being a decent sized gathering of trees and all  ::)

We're looking to do a bit of walking and a bit of "mountain" biking - can anyone come up with an area that has an abundance of both nearby please?

We can then start looking at options for somewhere to stay, we're both happy to camp but open campsites aren't so easy to find this year  :-[

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Forest of dean
« Reply #1 on: 19:25:10, 22/09/20 »
As a suggestion, download the app 'Wikiloc' onto your phone, type in different locations in the forest and it will display loads of cycle and walking routes which other people have done, that might help you decide where to base yourself. The routes are very easy to follow, I find its a good way to become an 'expert' if in completely new surroundings.

If you decide to camp look up 'wild boar' on the internet, the forest has a number of them roaming around.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:45:47, 22/09/20 »
I used to walk there when I was stationed in Gloucester.  I wouldn't have thought it was big enough the make the choice of location to stay that important.  Parts of it were getting overrun by mountain bikers even 15 years ago.
Solvitur Ambulando

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:54:09, 22/09/20 »
Thankyou  O0  I was just hoping someone knew off the top of their head but I'll certainly try the app

I'd heard about the wild boar, I'd be happy to wild camp but I can't see my brother going for it sadly.... I think he's got good food and plenty of drink in mind  ;)

It probably doesn't matter that much ninthace, it just helps to decide where to look for accommodation of whatever sort

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:58:34, 22/09/20 »
Are either of the two Forestry campsites at Coleford open?
There is direct access from them straight into the woods, and trails down to the River Wye, which has a good track along one side (bit of a slog back uphill to the camp site unfortunately).
Symonds Yat nearby.
Pubs and supermarket in Coleford village. A few eateries in Monmouth which isn't too far.
Cannop Ponds is a cyclists mecca.

Wherever you end up staying, make sure to visit a tourist information shop down there, they used to have a wealth of walking and cycling trail leaflets (I hope they still do).

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:17:10, 22/09/20 »
All forestry commission sites are closed until April fernman, thanks for the suggestion though  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:05:47, 24/09/20 »
May not affect you but I understand that the ferry below Symonds Yat Rock is currently not running.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:17:28, 24/09/20 »
May not affect you but I understand that the ferry below Symonds Yat Rock is currently not running.
It isn't, we were there earlier in the year.
We hired a cottage so no help with campsites, sorry. Make sure you know what the current covid rules are in Wales as well as England.
In the unlikely event that you want to go to the pub we had to sometimes book in advance though you may be OK outside school holidays.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:20:05, 24/09/20 »
Thankyou  O0

It doesn't have to be a campsite, I just meant it's an option as neither of us mind camping

It was an area to aim for I was after really though. It would narrow down where to look for somewhere to stay

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:14:49, 24/09/20 »
We've booked an Airbnb near Hereford  ::)  it's not really what I had in mind but I'm sure we can find somewhere.....

Thankyou all for the suggestions O0

So, on that note, if anyone has any suggestions for walking or easy(ish) but interesting mtb routes in the area I'd be very grateful

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:30:15, 24/09/20 »
That's a fair way off - nothing in Cinderford, Coleford or Parkend?
Solvitur Ambulando

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:50:23, 24/09/20 »
Coleford certainly looks hopeful, I've not had much of a look so far though. I have ordered the two maps so I can make something up if needs be  O0

Eyelet

« Reply #12 on: 05:00:19, 25/09/20 »
You might like to reach out to a couple of the local MTB hire shops, they ought to be able to give you some suitable bike route suggestions and suggest some local places to stay.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy