Author Topic: Camping prices  (Read 3050 times)

Hugh Jarse

Camping prices
« on: 09:40:44, 06/02/18 »
Hi Guys

I recently joined and put up a few lines in the welcome page.

And as i was planning this years camping hikes, i found out that on the C2C walk at one of my planned stops ( Lord Stones Cafe ) on Carlton bank in Yorkshire they wanted 22.5 ponds for a small tent pitch............Be Jeebers....is that the going rate or are they having a laugh.

Cheers

Hugh :-\

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Camping prices
« Reply #1 on: 10:59:53, 06/02/18 »
Wow, thats a lot! The most I paid for a 6' x 4' bit of grass on the C2C was £10. OK three years ago but I thought I won't go to that site again! The most I've paif for a night is £15 in Kent. I will not be going there again either! I have now organised myself to be completely self sufficient for sleeping and hygeine, I even have a shower in my rucksack, so am getting into wild camping more and more. I don't mind going on a site (for a treat) but I would prefer to spend my money on food and drink in pubs.

I learned my lesson when I hiked the GR10 in France in 2015, because I stayed on so many sites and spent so much elsewhere I didn't have any change out of £1200 by the time I returned to the UK. I have found its quite easy to spend about £40 a day, travel costs, site costs, daytime food, evening food and drink and general entertainment, so I felt I had to have a proper rethink of the way I did my hiking.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:38:17, 06/02/18 »
I checked their website and the price is right.An absolute rip-off for a single backpackers tent.

It seems the pitch is 8m by 8m and probably designed for a large tent and a group of people.Put three adults in and the price is £26.50 per night.Not a bad deal but they should provide better facilities for lone backpackers.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:54:39, 06/02/18 »
I spent a night on a camp site during my multiple-day walk in North Wales last September. Admittedly it was a very low price by today's standards but I felt afterwards there was very little advantage for me in staying there as opposed to wild camping.

Naturally I would have found similar level grass for wild camping, while I might have found a rock to sit on instead of the split tree trunk I pitched by on this site, though I could manage without if necessary.
A notice by the only tap advised boiling the water, so I still used my Steripen the same as I would if I had gathered water from a stream or lake.
As it happens I didn't use the wc which would have saved me digging a hole if the need had arisen.
I washed myself using warm water from the free shower (no more than a wash, I only had a little bar of hotel soap and a tiny Pertex towel), this at least saved me boiling water on my stove.

On this occasion,  everyone on the site turned in early and it was as peaceful as wild camping on my own, but my previous experience of camp sites I've used during walks has been of people talking loudly till late, shining torches on my tent and slamming car doors repeatedly.

RogerA

« Reply #4 on: 12:08:56, 06/02/18 »
Theres plenty of cheaper campsites out there.

As a start point the youth hostel association often have camping available:
https://www.yha.org.uk/camping-and-cabins/camping-campsites
These seem to be about £11 a night throughout the year.
They're not going to be the cheapest but are dotted around the whole country and tend to have reasonable facilities.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:45:55, 06/02/18 »
Theres plenty of cheaper campsites out there.

As a start point the youth hostel association often have camping available:
https://www.yha.org.uk/camping-and-cabins/camping-campsites
These seem to be about £11 a night throughout the year.
They're not going to be the cheapest but are dotted around the whole country and tend to have reasonable facilities.
But outside of weekends you can generally get a bed in a hostel for £15 so £11 to camp doesn’t seem much of a bargain.

RogerA

« Reply #6 on: 12:49:01, 06/02/18 »
But outside of weekends you can generally get a bed in a hostel for £15 so £11 to camp doesn’t seem much of a bargain.

true very true but still cheaper than £22.50 ... perhaps only a possible starting point

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:29:39, 06/02/18 »
Jeeeeeezuzzzzz twenty two quid for one night/one man camping? ? ? !  I don't think even the snooty Caravan and Camping Club Certified Sites charge that much.

Hellfire, yes, you can get a pitch cheaper.... particularly if all you're after is a corner of a field, and a toilet/shower block and a water supply.  Ten quid or less for them as a general rule.

Here's a couple of websites for you to have a look at:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/  (wear sunglasses to read it though.... why they need that hideous yellow background is beyond me).

https://www.pitchup.com/

Interesting forum name by the way ....   :D

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:41:48, 06/02/18 »
 Try Beakhills farm,half a mile down the road from Claybank Top.They have 20 camping pitches and I am quite sure they won't be £22 each!

The previous owners of Lord Stones had trouble with local thugs so perhaps they are trying to go a bit more upmarket and put off undesireables such as  bikers and unwashed  backpackers. ;)

Addingham

« Reply #9 on: 01:01:26, 07/02/18 »
Hi Guys

I recently joined and put up a few lines in the welcome page.

And as i was planning this years camping hikes, i found out that on the C2C walk at one of my planned stops ( Lord Stones Cafe ) on Carlton bank in Yorkshire they wanted 22.5 ponds for a small tent pitch............Be Jeebers....is that the going rate or are they having a laugh.

Cheers

Hugh :-\

WoW! That's gone up! £17.50 last year. Although that is the price of the pitch no matter how many campers there are. So for a solo camper a rip off. Suggest you wild camp (open access land just past the site) a bit further on or before although a flat site is hard to find but certainly cheaper. :D

In that area there aren't any other sites without a major detour. Unless you carry on about 4 miles. I couldn't make that extra distance so wild camped. So did an ex Marine carrying about 70lb on his back. :o
« Last Edit: 01:40:03, 07/02/18 by Addingham »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:32:06, 07/02/18 »
that is the price of the pitch no matter how many campers there are. So for a solo camper a rip off.

That is a gripe of mine, sites where one person on their own pays the same as a group of four in a tent.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:43:57, 07/02/18 »
That is a gripe of mine, sites where one person on their own pays the same as a group of four in a tent.

I agree but I guess it's no different to staying at a Hotel/Inn/B&B and being charged "single supplement" for staying in a room on your own.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Murphy

« Reply #12 on: 17:56:59, 07/02/18 »
As Tonyk says, try Beakhills Farm.  I've stayed here twice.  It's basic, but extremely friendly and helpful owners who also offer bed and breakfast accommodation in their farmhouse, and breakfast if you're backpacking.  Also do packed lunches, and sell eggs.   It's ideal for Coast to Coast and Cleveland Way walkers.  Having also stayed at Lord Stones out of season when it was closed, but was still charged £10 per person then, I know which I prefer...............

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:04:00, 07/02/18 »

Interesting forum name by the way ....  :D

Trust you Mel!  ;D

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:31:01, 07/02/18 »
I agree but I guess it's no different to staying at a Hotel/Inn/B&B and being charged "single supplement" for staying in a room on your own.

Know what you mean. I was charged a single supplement for a room that only had a single bed. The room was so small you couldn't get a double bed in it
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy