Author Topic: Visual Impact of Large Groups  (Read 3178 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Visual Impact of Large Groups
« Reply #30 on: 20:58:01, 22/10/19 »
The score list for lampooning ramblers is definitely off target as none of my companions meet the criteria. The list unfortunately just reinforces the media perception of ramblers snd does very little to encourage more people to get out and about.
Sense of humour failure or not...i don’t think it helps anyone. Many of the ramblers i know can individually
Outwalk most “ seroius “ walkers either by distance or ascent.
It's all uphill from here.

Maggot

« Reply #31 on: 21:04:45, 22/10/19 »
The score list for lampooning ramblers is definitely off target as none of my companions meet the criteria. The list unfortunately just reinforces the media perception of ramblers snd does very little to encourage more people to get out and about.
Sense of humour failure or not...i don’t think it helps anyone. Many of the ramblers i know can individually
Outwalk most “ seroius “ walkers either by distance or ascent.

Although this thread is of course all about how some people do not enjoy seeing large amounts of people being outdoors!

PembsWalker

« Reply #32 on: 00:05:13, 23/10/19 »
It can be annoying and sometimes daunting to see a big group when you're out on your own or in a much smaller group.

I tend to sit and chill for 5 minutes, let them pass or, if they're going the same way, let them move on out of view.

Last summer I parked up at Strumble Lighthouse in North Pembrokeshire and was pretty chuffed to find the car park empty.
While I was getting my stuff together, a bus turned up and dropped off a large group of older ladies.
One of them walked over to me and said "Oh, I'm sorry, I think we've just ruined your plan for a quiet walk."
 Had to laugh, but luckily we were going in opposite directions.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 00:07:07, 23/10/19 »
You often don’t need to go very far from the touristy bits to avoid the crowds. When I used to visit the New Forest, the roads, car parks and hot spots would be full of grockles. However, walk  hundred metres from the car park and all you would see would be trees, heath, birds and deer.

I completely agree.

Without doubt one of the busiest car parks on Dartmoor, is Pork Hill above Tavistock.  Yet on a calm sunny summers day, you can arrive back there after a good walk.  Qué for a short time with the hords to buy an ice cream and then by the time you have eaten it, be sat Aloft and alone on feather tor, listening to the natrual sounds moor, just sitting there, until you really do need to head back to towny land.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 11:24:25, 23/10/19 »
Some most amusing musings in this thread..

Nithace, your rules have led me to believe that there are in fact no Ramblers in our Ramblers group.  ??? Though I too did have a pair of thick red socks back in the 70s when I was rock climbing. O0
Back in the 70's? How old are you, you look about 12  :o :o
 ninthace, you should be ashamed of yourself with your silly comments! Say 50 Hail Marys and listen to a brexit debate..... :D 
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:44:10, 23/10/19 »
I don't, nor do 98% of the Ramblers I know.
There are ramblers and there are Ramblers.  The French have a 4 tier system: Balladeur, Marcheur, Randonneur, Montagnard, which is more complicated.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #36 on: 14:19:41, 23/10/19 »
Now I'm worried. Yesterday I received a 10% "Ramblers discount" at Rohan, and I was not buying red socks. :D

Sorry, this has diverged from the OP, and has little to do with the visual impact of large groups of walkers.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 17:08:24, 23/10/19 »
Generally the visual impact does not last long....... there are far worse blights on the landscape
It's all uphill from here.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 19:10:11, 23/10/19 »
I see 'large groups' as falling into two categories: those that ramble and those that are at the tops of popular hills and mountains.

Passing groups of ramblers is rare for me and I always like seeing them. I enjoy a moment's camaraderie - seeing people doing what I like doing - and then I'm off on my way again. What's not to like?

I'm less sure about groups at summits, although again it's quite rare to encounter this - Snowdon, Cadair Idris and Pen y Fan are the only examples I have (I don't include Kinder Scout because there's plenty of room for everyone!). I love the solitude of a summit and having views across a vast area devoid of human existance - and, of course, I don't want people other than my wife in my photos. Also (and I'm sure this makes me a bad person), the popular summits usually have much easier ways up than the tough one I just conquered, and I don't want the people in jeans and trainers to think I'm just out for a stroll too...  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy