Author Topic: Southern Upland Way  (Read 3265 times)

ron6632

Southern Upland Way
« on: 13:12:14, 07/06/19 »
About to start my walk on the SUW on the 11th July, finishing in Cockburnspath on the 29th - a mix of camping, bothies and hotels (got have some luxury)

I’d been planning it for a while but events this week mean I’m now doing it sponsored in aid of Unision Kinneil Band whose band hall was burnt down on Tuesday (4th June).

Unfortunately the band has lost virtually everything, and while many things such as music and instruments can be replaced, many irreplaceable items from their 160 year history have quite literally gone up in smoke.  They are, however, determined to fulfill their engagements for the summer, including their annual concert in Bo’ness Town Hall next Friday (14th). They are a fantastic community band, and thankfully the local community has rallied in their support.

The police have acted quickly and two 16 year olds are appearing in court today (Friday 7th) charged with setting the fire.  I will never understand why people do these things.

If you would consider sponsoring my SUW journey I would be very grateful, as would the band.  So far just over £500 has been donated towards the event - I’m looking to at least double that!

Thanks for reading

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/kinneil-band-1?utm_term=w52xR98Zb

And a link to an Edinburgh Live article about the fire

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/boness-united-newtown-park-fire-16376905

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Southern Upland Way
« Reply #1 on: 11:49:19, 09/06/19 »
I have deliberately avoided a few walks in my hiking career. For example, I have lived near the sea for over 30 years and I've never been motivated to hike any coastal path anywhere, only inland ones. The one inland route I've knowingly avoided is the Southern Upland Way, every time I read about it the route comes over as just too lonely and bleak for me. I did the Glyndwr's Way a while back, interesting in its own way but that was bleak enough thank you.

Good luck though and hope you have a good time.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:06:52, 09/06/19 »
“Lonely “ was one of the main reasons that I did it for last year. I wouldn’t call it bleak but obviously it covers a long distance so not everywhere can be fantastic scenery.

I certainly preferred it to the Pennine Way
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ron6632

« Reply #3 on: 15:25:18, 09/06/19 »
I have deliberately avoided a few walks in my hiking career. For example, I have lived near the sea for over 30 years and I've never been motivated to hike any coastal path anywhere, only inland ones. The one inland route I've knowingly avoided is the Southern Upland Way, every time I read about it the route comes over as just too lonely and bleak for me. I did the Glyndwr's Way a while back, interesting in its own way but that was bleak enough thank you.

Good luck though and hope you have a good time.

Cheers.

Looking forward to it.   It’s been on my bucket list for a long time - it is a remarkably remote route, for its location.   I’ve walked sections, and scenery is very much under rated, as is the whole of the Scottish Borders - it is close to home for me though. It’ll be interesting to see what the route is like as a whole!

Dread

« Reply #4 on: 16:43:36, 09/06/19 »
"Lonely and bleak", I'm always down for that! It looks beautiful in the pictures I've seen, a less severe Cape Wrath Trail. Is it public transport accessible?

ron6632

« Reply #5 on: 18:15:59, 09/06/19 »
It’s a bit patchy for day walks I think. 

There’s rail links to the start  Stranraer (20 minute bus journey to Portpatrick), Sanquhar, Galashiels and Melrose. 

There’s a bus service from the end at Cockburnspath to Edinburgh and Dunbar (Berwick as well I think), but the last bus runs around 1720 with very limited accommodation options. 

Moffat, I think has a City Link bus service that stops there, but I would need to check that, probably more likely a local service from Dumfries where there is a rail connection. 

Innerleithen also has a regular bus from Edinburgh to Galashiels.

Dread

« Reply #6 on: 21:59:44, 09/06/19 »
Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed answer. My daughter is in Edinburgh so maybe next time i visit I'll have a look. Good luck with the walk, I've sent you a few quid

ron6632

« Reply #7 on: 22:11:27, 09/06/19 »
No problem for the info - if you’ve got any questions after I’ve finished at the end of July will happily oblige.  It’s quite a difficult walk to organise round public transport.

Thanks so much for the donation.  Anything I raise will be a drop in the ocean compared to what the band has lost in the fire. What has happened is beyond comprehension really, but they are determined to keep going and were  out playing at Fauldhouse Gala day this weekend. 

Thanks again!

ron6632

« Reply #8 on: 20:46:21, 27/08/19 »
Well.  A bit late with the update, but finished this at the end of July.  Real mix of weather over the 16 days.  Tough old trail - still not sure what to make of it. 

Some magical sections but so much walking along forest track.  Oddly I found the myriad of wind turbines less intrusive than the huge forestry plantations. 

The east was more enjoyable than the west (and dryer).  The hidden kists are a fantastic scheme and I hope they keep them going for a long time to come.

Huge mention to “The Walkers Retreat at the Snap Inn” at Knowe.  Check out their Facebook page - wonderful people who are offering some well needed services in a remote section - even if it’s just a water refill!  They offer camping facilities too.

In the end raised just over £700 (still time to donate as the page above is still open ;)).

In the end walked over 240 miles over the course.  My feet still hurt!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:56:28, 28/08/19 »
Didn't know about the Hidden Kists - nice touch.

Not an idea that would work on the Pennine Way!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Warbler

« Reply #10 on: 22:42:30, 30/08/19 »
Good effort with the walk and the fundraising.

Is the band still playing? And what became of the ne'er-do-wells who started the fire? >:(

ron6632

« Reply #11 on: 12:33:51, 31/08/19 »

Is the band still playing? And what became of the ne'er-do-wells who started the fire? >:(

Cheers👍

The bands still going. Fortunately the local and brass band community rallied round and the support for them has been fantastic, including local hotels providing rehearsal facilities and percussion hire providing instruments free of charge for concerts (all their percussion went up in smoke too).

They’ve had music donations too - their library was completely destroyed sadly. 

They qualified for the national finals in Cheltenham in October, so will be going down to compete there too.   As far as I know the insurers are playing ball too which is huge.  It’s going to take time for them to rebuild, but they’ll get there. 

As for the two individuals - I know they were in court shortly after the event, but never heard what became of them.

The biggest loss had been the bands history and memorabilia- they are one of the oldest in Scotland and had a huge number a vintage photos from the late 19th and early 20th century as well as more recent ones.  Commemorative certificates from contests over the years displayed on the walls, pretty much all gone.  Their hall was unique, as a former colliery band it was built by the members themselves using the techniques that they used in the pit!

And the band played on 😀

ron6632

« Reply #12 on: 22:13:51, 14/09/19 »

Wee update

I handed over £690 to the band last week, around £20 deductions for just giving unfortunately. 

The good (fantastic) news is that the band became British 1st section Champions this evening at Cheltenham at the National Finals, after winning the Scottish Championships back in March.  A fantastic achievement especially with the year they have had so far.  A huge thank you to all who donated.   

They go on to compete in the Championship Section (the highest possible) next year!

Warbler

« Reply #13 on: 12:46:55, 15/09/19 »
Great achievement from them, considering they where using donated percussion instruments etc.  O0

Let me know when the fire starters are secured in stocks in the town square, and humiliatingly pelted with rotten fruit. I might just make a trip up to witness it  :).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy