Author Topic: Wild Country Helm Compact 2.  (Read 5637 times)

Johnny Thunder

Wild Country Helm Compact 2.
« on: 13:33:53, 24/05/20 »
My new tent was delivered this week and I got chance to put it up for the first time today.
I found it very straightforward to erect with no issues. It was a little 'flappy' in a couple of places so maybe a small adjustment to the pegging will solve this issue. Also, I didn't bother using the guylines so they will no doubt make a difference too.

On entering the tent I was pleased to see that there is room to move around inside with a decent amount of headroom.
Although this is a 2-man, I would say it will be a tight 2-man. More a comfortable 1-man which I was hoping for.

Storage space in both entrances is really generous. I was thinking to store equipment in one and cook in the other.
Whether I actually do this, or simply have it all in the door I am using, will be figured out as I go I suppose.

The tent was also supplied with what appears to be a decent set of pegs and not basic wire rod pegs.
On some of the tents I was looking at, this would probably have been an extra expense to upgrade.

My first attempt at packing away this tent resulted in the main tent packing down to a size of 12" long by 8" diameter. The poles are 13" long.  
I think with practice I will figure out the best way to pack everything away into the backpack. Maybe packing it longer and narrower is an option.

Overall, I am really pleased with my first impressions of the tent.
I know I have sacrificed some weight for a bit of comfort, and maybe in time, this will become an issue.
As with any sport/hobby though I have a budget. I can't get the best of everything from the off and no doubt kit will be upgraded as and when I feel I need to.

I just need to get out there and use it now.

watershed

Re: Wild Country Helm Compact 2.
« Reply #1 on: 18:11:09, 24/05/20 »
"I just need to get out there and use it now."

Sounds great Johnny Enjoy!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:39:03, 24/05/20 »
Thanks for posting - an interesting tent. Will be very roomy for one.

Please take the time to let us know how you get on with it once lockdown has ended, as I have been looking at it's smaller brother, the Helm 1.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:46:45, 24/05/20 »
Although this is a 2-man, I would say it will be a tight 2-man. More a comfortable 1-man which I was hoping for.

Easily a 2-man!  :)
That's a great start though, your regime will evolve as you go along. It's just a matter of time now to get out, far too much of it though  :(

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #4 on: 07:26:01, 25/05/20 »
Thanks for the replies.
I will certainly let you know how I am finding it when I eventually get out there.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:10:52, 25/05/20 »
"I know I have sacrificed some weight"
What is the mass of it?
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #6 on: 08:56:27, 25/05/20 »
According to official specs it weight 2.35kg.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:03:21, 25/05/20 »
According to official specs it weight 2.35kg.
Not too hefty then.  900g more than my little tent.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #8 on: 09:07:19, 25/05/20 »
Yes, I was calculating on it costing me around 1kg for the extra comfort. As I say though, it may come to the point where I start looking at the weight I am carrying and this will obviously be one item where I can make a big improvement.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:31:18, 25/05/20 »
Not a terrible weight to carry - my 1.5 man tunnel tent weighs in at 2.2kg. I am looking to save a bit more weight but strength and the room to sit up inside is a more important factor. My tent is roomy enough, but the main pole snapped and I have lost confidence in it.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #10 on: 10:47:55, 25/05/20 »
I would assume that if tents are anything like fishing bivvies Richard, fibre glass poles breaking is one of the issues we could all face at some point.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:10:53, 26/05/20 »
Aluminium alloy poles actually - poor quality: as well as the breakage, upon closer inspection I found that several of the pole ends had hairline cracks in them. I've since replaced the entire pole, but I have lost confidence in the tent for wild camping in anything other than benign conditions.

Hence my interest in the Helm.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy