Author Topic: Graffiti on lakeland trig  (Read 1755 times)

route2rock

• Veteran Member
Graffiti on lakeland trig
« on: 10:49:13, 16/10/15 »
http://www.lakelandmountainguides.co.uk/#!Graffiti-or-Art-National-3-Peaks-and-Litter-Matt-on-BBC-Radio-Cumbria/ccns/561c09790cf2c6c64370afb1

I can't believe someone would graffiti the Trig point? This just screams out as selfish to me, and clearly done by someone with little appreciation of the mountain :(
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

joester

• Veteran Member
Re: Graffiti on lakeland trig
« Reply #1 on: 14:04:11, 16/10/15 »
These are the same people as carve their names into the rocks and boulders of local landmarks.

The graffiti-ing of summit markers seems pretty commonplace on accessible continental peaks.  Have a look at photos of the summit marker on Toubkal.

This post also made me think about the trig points themselves.  Most people I know like the things - part of the landscape of the UK uplands, but I'm sure if they didn't exist and some organisation revealed plans to place a white concrete pillar on the top of many significant peaks and tops, well, I know what the response would be.

(Those stone-built trigs are more tasteful, mind you).

solvitur ambulando

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:18:16, 16/10/15 »
There are examples of councils paying people to litter and deface the countryside and call it art, what sort of message does that send out.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:44:59, 17/10/15 »
Inconsiderate prats everywhere  >:(   As for the 'art' stuff, not keen on that either, put it in a gallery.  Some, like Andy Goldsworthy's work is ok as it blends in and uses the same materials and techniques as dry stone walls etc.  But much of it, like the bird hotel on Sca Fell is just pretentious junk
Not all those who wander are lost

swanseamale47

« Reply #4 on: 10:12:11, 17/10/15 »
Personally I think trig points themselves are a blot on the landscape (the concrete ones) but I like graffiti a lot less.

swanseamale47

« Reply #6 on: 12:40:56, 02/11/15 »
There was a James R Bennett who was a Victorian poet I believe.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:49:50, 02/11/15 »
I'm not condoning it, but it isn't remotely as unsightly as the vandalism '[censored] the Fells' are being supported to do.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:50:51, 02/11/15 »
...sorry, I meant to say: 'Fix the Fells"

;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy