Author Topic: Google Street View visits Snowdon  (Read 1014 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Google Street View visits Snowdon
« on: 09:55:29, 11/12/15 »
There are now Google Street View panoramas from the summit of Snowdon. They were taken by volunteers holding backpacks with Google cameras. Other parts of the National Park have been visited, too. Google said the pictures could help walkers plan ahead for their treks.

The full article is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35064087
It contains a link to Street View.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Google Street View visits Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: 10:51:29, 07/01/16 »
I am not sure it was a wise move,having Street view made available for the summit of the highest mountain in England and Wales
Snowdon already has a known problem with totally out of their depth visitors climbing the mountain in completely inadequate clothing and footwear, even in the depth of Winter when you would think they had more sense.
Making the panorama of the 360degree view is fine for those who can enjoy them from their armchair, but it may encourage more people to an already overcrowded mountain, and increase the problem of poorly equipped walkers.

Where does one draw the line, Snowdon first, Carnedd lewellyn next.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:13:58, 07/01/16 »
Dyffryn Ardudwy. Whilst I don't agree with you it's only my personal opinion.

Personally I think Allowing access to people less fortunate. People who can view the vista without leaving there home. People who maybe can't leave there home. Then it's a good thing. Technology moves on and we should embrace that.

However I'm not sure there is a link between viewing something on street view and then deciding to head up Snowden. Snowden is very accessible and so will always be a honeypot. I'm not sure street view will make much difference there.
« Last Edit: 11:20:40, 07/01/16 by Summit »
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Rather be walking

« Reply #3 on: 12:24:24, 07/01/16 »
Google said the pictures could help walkers plan ahead for their treks.

Oh please!  ::)

You wait it'll be the lakes next  ;)  ::)

I normally avoid the honey pots.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy