Author Topic: Base Brown from Brandreth  (Read 2110 times)

Steve18566

Base Brown from Brandreth
« on: 08:42:57, 27/03/19 »
Hi

Looking for a little help.

We're planning on doing Grey Knotts, Brandreth, Base Brown & Green Gable from Honister Slate Mine.

In the Nuttalls book, it states it's possible to avoid nearly ascending Green Gable to then tackle Base Brown.
Is there a path from Gillercomb Head from the small tarns and below Green Gable to join the Seathwaite/Gillercomb path

Many thanks in advance

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Base Brown from Brandreth
« Reply #1 on: 09:18:14, 27/03/19 »
I don't think there is a path that low down, though it may be possible to go cross country.
My prediction is that April will reply saying there isn't a path and then Karl will say there is!

Just out of interest why not Grey Knotts, Brandreth, Green Gable, Base Brown? If it is a parking issue you can park at Seathwaite or Seatoller and then get the bus Seatoller to Honister to the start of the walk.

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 09:24:58, 27/03/19 »
Hi Steve,

I have just checked my GPS traces as I've done this walk a few times now but with Great Gable and Kirk Fell added too, then back via Moses' Trod.

I have never 'cut the corner' much at all from Gillercomb Head to Base Brown.  The northeast facing slope of Green Gable is somewhat steep and I have considered taking a short cut to reduce the height gain/ loss myself each time I've done it.  I never have though.

To be honest if you get to the point on the OS map marked 'BP' at OS Grid Ref: NY 21637 10998 then you can hang a left and descend to Base Brown.  It really isn't too much of a plod to be honest.

I really like the Moses' Trod part of the walk too so if you want to do that you could always go over Green Gable drop into Windy Gap then hang a right.

Which ever way you decide, enjoy your walk.

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 09:56:03, 27/03/19 by photonut »

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:54:42, 27/03/19 »
Hi Steve, as Lee mentions there is a path on the map around the top of Gillercomb which does cut the corner slightly but including Base Brown in a round of these fells is a bit awkward so you have to resign yourself to some re- ascent whichever way you go.

When standing on Base Brown Green Gable does look a fair climb but I've found it's bark is worse than it's bite and a steady plod soon gets you there ;)

The first time I did this round  ( but including Great Gable ) I went from Seathwaite and via the Hanging stone then found a way down from Grey Knotts by Raven Crag but this is a route for good visibility only There are some pics here - http://www.karlswalks.co.uk/2008/greatgable011108.html

Good luck whichever way you go O0

photonut

« Reply #4 on: 10:03:09, 27/03/19 »
The first time I did this round  ( but including Great Gable ) I went from Seathwaite and via the Hanging stone ...

Ooo that's a beast of a climb!!!

.... then found a way down from Grey Knotts by Raven Crag but this is a route for good visibility only

I've looked at that way down a few times and didn't think there was a good way across Sourmilk... looks like you've proved me wrong Karl :)

Cheers
Lee

Steve18566

« Reply #5 on: 11:09:18, 27/03/19 »
I'm trying to accommodate my partner's stamina. Ideally we'd add Kirk Fell and Great Gable, but I think that's pushing it too much for her, so they'll be another day, possibly with Fleetwith Pike

But looking at it, maybe doing Base Brown first from Seatoller, and then either bus or walking coast to coast section back to Seatoller might be better.
I'm guessing Sourmilk Gill is better to ascend than descend
Thankyou everyone for help and suggestions

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:58:20, 27/03/19 »
I'm trying to accommodate my partner's stamina. Ideally we'd add Kirk Fell and Great Gable, but I think that's pushing it too much for her, so they'll be another day, possibly with Fleetwith Pike

But looking at it, maybe doing Base Brown first from Seatoller, and then either bus or walking coast to coast section back to Seatoller might be better.
I'm guessing Sourmilk Gill is better to ascend than descend
Thankyou everyone for help and suggestions

Why not bin off Base Brown and do Fleetwith instead?

It's a more scenic route both up and down, lets you cut your route short or extend it (include Base Brown, descend via the Gil then take the bus back to Gatesgarth).  The views of Buttermere are in my opinion superior and still there if you have a cloudy day.  It takes you past a tarn and waterfalls on the descent - plus a lake side drive and a pub at the end in Buttermere?  If she doesn't like that combination then you need a new girlfriend!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:47:44, 27/03/19 »
I don't think there is a path that low down, though it may be possible to go cross country.
My prediction is that April will reply saying there isn't a path and then Karl will say there is!

;D

I've not seen a path that low down but Karl would probably think it was a great route to take  ;)

The only route I could suggest would be to ascend the flanks of Green Gable on the path then turn left to Base Brown at the point marked BP on the map above Mitchell Cove but this would mean backtracking to climb Green Gable.

Like others have said I would miss out Base Brown or do it from Seatoller like you have mentioned and doing Base Brown first.
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:01:42, 27/03/19 »
In the Nuttalls book, it states it's possible to avoid nearly ascending Green Gable to then tackle Base Brown.
Is there a path from Gillercomb Head from the small tarns and below Green Gable to join the Seathwaite/Gillercomb path
We've walked that contouring route a couple of times, both years ago, and it presented no difficulty. I think the (approximately) contouring line was intermittent and little more than a sheep trod, but in any case it's easy terrain and avoids unnecessary ascent.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:49:01, 27/03/19 »
We've walked that contouring route a couple of times, both years ago, and it presented no difficulty. I think the (approximately) contouring line was intermittent and little more than a sheep trod, but in any case it's easy terrain and avoids unnecessary ascent.

I didn't know this was there vghikers  :)

I think the OP, Steve may not be fond of heights, unless I have him mixed up with someone else. (Sorry if I have Steve!) Does the trod have a bit of a drop to look at?
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:34:49, 27/03/19 »
Does the trod have a bit of a drop to look at?

Hmm, my memory must be rusty: to correct my own quote above, I looked up those trips I mentioned on our own site and I reported at the time on the Borrowdale Fells trip:-
...I contoured around the slopes of Gillercomb to the col between Base Brown and Green Gable. There is no path here, and the first part of this manoeuvre traverses very steep rough ground studded with rocky outcrops, but it's easier than it looks: I started above the first little outcrop and picked my way along at roughly the same height to emerge on easy ground just above the col...

Steve18566

« Reply #11 on: 20:57:11, 27/03/19 »
Yes I do have a problem with heights(so so frustrating). Thinking maybe starting at Seatoller, up Base brown, Green Gable, Brandreth & Grey Knotts, then back to Seatoller.
Thanks again everyone

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy