Author Topic: Recommend places for BBQ nearby Oxford  (Read 3475 times)

Starkiwi26

Recommend places for BBQ nearby Oxford
« on: 19:40:41, 14/05/19 »
Dear fellow members,

I have been doing walking for sometimes, my partner suggested, why not we bring a disposable BBQ and have a small BBQ while enjoying the view. I have no experience on this, I am not sure if this is allowed to have BBQ at public area.

I saw Port Meadow Godstow Car Park has a few tables for picnic, but when I asked Oxford council, they said no BBQ is allowed because Port Meadow is is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Special Area of Conservation (SAC) under the European Habitats Directive.

Could fellow members please recommend a good spot for BBQ please?
I didn't want to break any rule or to offend any, and I will take good care of fire during BBQ.

Many thanks.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommend places for BBQ nearby Oxford
« Reply #1 on: 21:09:33, 14/05/19 »
Mmmm, just how far do you want to walk before you have your BBQ? How much weight will you be carrying?

That would give us some sort of idea of just what sort of advice to give.
BBQS and nature do not normally go hand in hand. So you will not have too many places to eat out in that way.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Warbler

« Reply #2 on: 21:38:15, 14/05/19 »
I've never, ever seen anyone walking and carrying a BBQ……..ever!!!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:54:35, 14/05/19 »
Me neither. I just wonder how a walking forum can help this person, and am trying to fathom out if it is a genuine, but misplaced, query or a total pea take.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:21:14, 14/05/19 »
How will you dispose of the BBQ once you have cooked and eaten your food? 

Starkiwi26

« Reply #5 on: 00:02:45, 15/05/19 »
Mmmm, just how far do you want to walk before you have your BBQ? How much weight will you be carrying?

That would give us some sort of idea of just what sort of advice to give.
BBQS and nature do not normally go hand in hand. So you will not have too many places to eat out in that way.

a disposable BBQ, some chicken wings, a few sausages should not weight that heavy.
« Last Edit: 00:06:10, 15/05/19 by Starkiwi26 »

Starkiwi26

« Reply #6 on: 00:03:59, 15/05/19 »

not a kettle BBQ used at home, but a disposable BBQ which easy to use and dispose after used

Starkiwi26

« Reply #7 on: 00:05:44, 15/05/19 »
How will you dispose of the BBQ once you have cooked and eaten your food?

left it to cool down (probably with water), pack them and bring them home with me. minimum impact to the natural.

Starkiwi26

« Reply #8 on: 00:08:09, 15/05/19 »
Me neither. I just wonder how a walking forum can help this person, and am trying to fathom out if it is a genuine, but misplaced, query or a total pea take.

My partner just have this interesting idea - BBQ while enjoying the great view and scene. But I am not sure if this is allowed at public area.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:35:55, 15/05/19 »

My partner just have this interesting idea - BBQ while enjoying the great view and scene. But I am not sure if this is allowed at public area.
Since no walk involved then maybe a barbecue forum may be better suited to answering your query. Basically from now until late Autumn it is bad for the countryside to light open fires of any sort except in controlled environment.  Fire fighters have already had to tackle severe blazes in Wales and areas of moorland in England.

In short not really a great idea. Have a nice picnic instead.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:44:34, 15/05/19 »

How will you control the sparks which come off the BBQ once lit? 

How will you protect the ground beneath it from scorching when it is lit (particularly if the earth is peat)?

To be honest, I doubt you will find anywhere that will legally allow a BBQ, especially given the wildfires of last year and earlier this year although a beach may be an option.

We have signs like these dotted around here (the smaller writing at the bottom says "no smoking, barbeques or stoves):

Starkiwi26

« Reply #11 on: 11:40:44, 16/05/19 »
Since no walk involved then maybe a barbecue forum may be better suited to answering your query. Basically from now until late Autumn it is bad for the countryside to light open fires of any sort except in controlled environment.  Fire fighters have already had to tackle severe blazes in Wales and areas of moorland in England.

In short not really a great idea. Have a nice picnic instead.

Thanks. Agree, glad that I asked here first before causing any problem.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:04:49, 16/05/19 »
Not a good place for a BBQ but if you took a picnic and a bottle of something lightly chilled - the top of the White Horse at Uffington always struck me as a great place to sit and watch the sun go down.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy