Author Topic: After a night in a tent do you feel good in the morning?  (Read 6452 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: After a night in a tent do you feel good in the morning?
« Reply #30 on: 20:23:15, 03/02/19 »
Geeze, carrying that sort of weight must put you on the stature scale of the Hulk. ;D ;D :D
I'm jealous.

Dang! I was thinking of writing "car camping" instead of "general camping". Wish I had now!

Edit: Just looked up the weight of the camp bed, it's 8.7 kg, that's over 19 lb for those that still use old money.
Then there's the bulk of the rolled-up mattress-topper....
« Last Edit: 21:18:17, 03/02/19 by fernman »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 20:42:05, 03/02/19 »
When I wild camp in the UK I don't spend a lot of time worrying about badgers and polecats  ;)

Have you been acquainted with the Scottish midge yet?

On this morning I felt pretty good - until I opened the door zip!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:48:19, 03/02/19 »

In our area (eastern Ontario) 25 black bears per 100 squ km.  More further north. Camp sensibly and they are never a problem. Blackflies and mosquitos - now they can be a real problem.
When I wild camp in the UK I don't spend a lot of time worrying about badgers and polecats  ;)

We don't have bears here but there are a few in Scandinavia. I've no idea what the population density is but your chance of actually seeing one is almost nil. All I've seen is their scat. They also have Wolves, Wolverine and Lynx again I've not seen the animals only their tracks. 

nick949

« Reply #33 on: 20:48:49, 03/02/19 »
Midges - I remember them from many years back. Blackflies are midges on steroids.  https://youtu.be/HAd_JIFzceo
Book: "Actually, I'm English: rediscovering my homeland on foot and by motorbike" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AGQIX1K)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:23:38, 04/02/19 »
Moving on - another tent problem.I have three tents a two man and two solo ones. the solo ones sleeping area are shaped like coffins with no unnecesary room so as to keep the weight to a minimum. Problem is when needing to urinate in the night. No headroom to sit up and kneeling is difficult especially if the outer is wet. Not wanting to exit the tent I keep a bottle handy but it can be difficult to manovre ones self into a sort of sideways lying position and be sure that all ones bladder contents go into said bottle and not the sleeping bag/tent floor. Any other idea's? :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:28:26, 04/02/19 »
Ah SLOGGER, hope someone does come up with a solution. My little coffin tent is good for all aspects in which I use it, except for the old man's bladder problem.   I normally have to get up and find my boots to go outside.
Too little, too late, too bad......

dank86

« Reply #36 on: 19:30:07, 04/02/19 »
Slogger and jimbob use a shewee attached to some tubing, giving you a wider area to aim for 👍
A fellow coffin tent user

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:40:20, 04/02/19 »
Slogger and jimbob use a shewee attached to some tubing, giving you a wider area to aim for 👍
A fellow coffin tent user
Ooh, I hope you use it outside your sleeping bag.My mind is truly boggled.

dank86

« Reply #38 on: 19:45:44, 04/02/19 »
Ooh, I hope you use it outside your sleeping bag.My mind is truly boggled.

Haha yep use outside the sleeping bag and the tube directs it away from the tent. Could always use a funnel instead of shewee lol

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 20:47:03, 04/02/19 »
You lot of wimps! :o Put your feet in your boots, get outside and do it a short distance from your tent!

I've done that a few times, especially in the years before they opened me up and threw bits away when I got the old man's problem earlier in life than is usual. And I've done it in freezing cold, howling wind or lashing rain (though I admit I've put my waterproof jacket on for the latter occasions).  :angel:

Reminds me, a former waterproof I had always smelled like I'd peed in it, to which one of my sons remarked that I probably had, which was NOT TRUE.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:56:40, 04/02/19 »
You lot of wimps! :o Put your feet in your boots, get outside and do it a short distance from your tent!
But  that is what I do,  minimum 4 bleedin times a night when I'm camping. Just the once at home? ?????Starting to think I overdo the hydration. But when you eat evenings in pubs I find over hydration is too easy.

Doddy

« Reply #41 on: 12:31:37, 08/02/19 »
I usually experience fitful nights sleep for the first couple of nights then sleep well. It is good to have a getting off to sleep mantra/ meditation technique - usually involving slow counting and breathing.
 Although in the UK I have Henry Shires Notch and Moment shelters both of which you can sit up in. Pee bottles are great and an acquired art- going outside wakes me up too much. I now have the Pingxia emergency urinal tube.
I have hiked in the US so when getting out at night to pee and feeling a nose on your butt may give a whole new meaning to night-time thrills e.g Bear, Coyote.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 13:54:16, 08/02/19 »
Sleep comes easily to me when backpacking as I'm usually cream crackered from the day's walking, although I tend to drift in and out of sleep all night. This is probably because I'm not on something as comfortable as my mattress and pillow at home, but it doesn't matter because I'm in my sleeping bag for 10 hours from 9 pm till 7 am (it gets dark around 8 at the times of the year I go).

But I usually sleep very badly on my first night on a camp site before I start my walk. This is because my brain and body are still jangled by the 235 miles drive there, while my mind is concerned about doing everything correctly in the morning when I'll be mixing up backpacking and base camp equipment in the boot of my car, while I'm also full of anxiety about the walk I'm embarking on

Maggot

« Reply #43 on: 01:29:45, 21/02/19 »
Moving on - another tent problem.I have three tents a two man and two solo ones. the solo ones sleeping area are shaped like coffins with no unnecesary room so as to keep the weight to a minimum. Problem is when needing to urinate in the night. No headroom to sit up and kneeling is difficult especially if the outer is wet. Not wanting to exit the tent I keep a bottle handy but it can be difficult to manovre ones self into a sort of sideways lying position and be sure that all ones bladder contents go into said bottle and not the sleeping bag/tent floor. Any other idea's? :)

That's ok, you can thank me later........

Don't forget the bag and tubing to do with it  O0

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 08:52:35, 21/02/19 »

That's ok, you can thank me later........

Don't forget the bag and tubing to do with it  O0

You could always get someone medically trained to stick a tube up you like they do after the 'old man's operation' in hospital. Then all you have to do is empty the bag when it gets full  :)

I'll get my coat....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy