Author Topic: Derwent and Howden reservoirs TR, and sleepy takes to the skies!!  (Read 2188 times)

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
I work nights and Friday was a late one, and bedtime was 5am  ???  Back up at 9, all packed and sorted and it was off to the campsite - thankfully they had room for me as the alternative of the back of my car didn't really appeal, although it's not that bad.

With the tent up, and the wind dropped, it was time for the excitement to start- but where  :-\  10mins looking at the map and I decided on winnets pass, and headed right to the top, only to find it far too windy for what I had in mind  :(  disappointed, I turned back but stopped to test the conditions lower down and decided to carefully give it a shot  8)  Click for video

Back to the tent and I'm almost disappointed to find I have another neighbour, hopefully they're not the noisy kind. As it turns out, they're a pair of not unattractive young ladies  :)  and they're struggling with their airbed pump - I don't use the lilo kind of bed anymore but I do still have an electric pump in my boot so, ever the good Samaritan, I say hello and offer a loan of said pump. I don't think I've ever used it, but a good 20 strangers have!! And not all female before any minds start wandering  ::) 

That said though, I was very taken with these two and their enviable energy and cheery disposition, they were both full of life and I'm sorry to say cupid's aim seemed only to hit me  :-[  I spent the evening relaxing with a few beers to the sound of their giggles next door, I found it both uplifting and saddening in equal measure - you see, I'm probably a few years older than they were and I spent a considerable amount of time dwelling on the thought that I'm no longer "young".

I had to cut away from these thoughts, I'd ran out of beer and it was bedtime. But I genuinely admire their lust for life  :)  oh to be twenty something again.

Sleep was hard-won with the noisy cyclists opposite in the evening and the noisy scout leaders nextdoor in the morning but the night was rewarded with a coffee and two big bacon sarnies before packing everything away and heading to my starting point. It felt good to be setting out on my first proper walk in over two years. Sadly no photo's of my camping setup, I didn't get 'round to it.

I set off from the cafe carpark at the top of ladybower, looking forward to having nothing to think about other than one foot in front of the other and enjoying my surroundings but, when I saw the first of the dams looming, I decided a few photo's wouldn't go amiss.

And the view north up Derwent, the first reservoir from the same position;

The path ahead;

The dam between Derwent and Howden. I'd be taking "the long way round";

Howden reservoir petering out, getting close to half way

"Birchin lee" amongst the sycamores..... makes sense  :D 

The bridge at "slippery stones"

Howden reservoir

Finally the last dam comes into view

« Last Edit: 03:59:21, 17/09/19 by Sleepy »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Arrrgh - after all that, how do I fix the photo's?

Can't help there I'm afraid, but having followed your first photo link, Google Photos is practically useless. I can see that first photo but slideshow-mode doesn't work and I can't advance to the next manually.  :(

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Let me try something with your first photo:-

Yes, it works!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I've just clicked on them all individually and now you've got it working.

Nice pics, bring back lots of memories.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
Let me try something with your first photo:-

Yes, it works!

How did you do it?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
How did you do it?

I followed your first photo link to bring it up in Google Photos, then copied the direct URL to the image (which I found by inspecting the HTML element containing the photo). I'm quite surprised that Google allows direct linking to an image by anyone from anywhere, though it may depend on your account settings.

There must be an easy official way for you as the account owner to get more friendly links to your photos.

Edit:- just found Google instructions:-
On your computer, go to photos.google.com.
On the left, click Photos Photos.
Open a photo.
At the top right, click Share Share and then Get link and then Copy.

Have you tried 'Get Link' ?

For the interested techies on the board, below is the photo HTML element (I've highlighted the image URL in bold)

<div class="RY3tic" style="opacity: 1; background-image: url(&quot;https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/b13VM_sHeZgbRo5KFx-uCrgGfdqOuGj1uemDUG1whnFe0gzZoRX6A3sk4ndtbqKYm_KCWPrAZNGBpB0QI5x11sWS4Ue4N6S-yD9kkDPnDHatlMw3OYDlDcGWUJU7AE6eCzLLKjgBfA=w863-h647-no&quot;);" data-latest-bg="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/b13VM_sHeZgbRo5KFx-uCrgGfdqOuGj1uemDUG1whnFe0gzZoRX6A3sk4ndtbqKYm_KCWPrAZNGBpB0QI5x11sWS4Ue4N6S-yD9kkDPnDHatlMw3OYDlDcGWUJU7AE6eCzLLKjgBfA=w863-h647-no"><div class="eGiHwc" aria-hidden="true"></div><div class="KYCEmd" aria-hidden="true"></div></div>
« Last Edit: 14:16:10, 16/09/19 by vghikers »

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
Thankyou very much  O0  turns out you right click the image, and "copy image address" and on here you click "insert image" and paste there and voila  O0

Now if only I could fix my poor hips so easily....

Mel

• Veteran Member
I see no pics  :(

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
that's bizarre  >:(  I can see 'em but maybe that's to do with google, no-one else see them?

Mel

• Veteran Member
That's strange because I clicked on the link vghikers posted and it brought up the picture so I did the copy image address thing and pasted it into the insert image button on here and it worked.  I know in the past I've had to click on my photos and then copy the URL at the top rather than right click and copy image address.  Maybe give that a try?  (shouldn't make a difference but in my case it did).

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
No photos on my IPad.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
I'll have to leave it until tomorrow now unfortunately, sorry everyone - hopefully I'll get it sorted tomorrow

vghikers

• Veteran Member
that's bizarre  >:(  I can see 'em but maybe that's to do with google, no-one else see them?

I saw them all shortly after your last post but now they've gone again.

I think the images have disappeared because the forum software can no longer retrieve them directly. I repeated the exercise of extracting a direct URL to the image but it doesn't work now, I'm presented with a login screen to Google Photos.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
I'll move em and try again, just need to decide on an alternative to photobucket after they went all money orientated  :-\

pleb

• Veteran Member
Nice pics and area, I can see em  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy