Author Topic: back pain  (Read 1646 times)

outdoorgirly

back pain
« on: 13:35:43, 17/11/07 »
I suffer from a bad back.Carrying a pack doesnt help this,when i need a big bag for an expedition i have to load it as light as possible but on many occasions i have had to use sponge on my shoulders where the bag sits and usually get grazes from where the bag has been rubbing on my back.has anyone got any suggestions to try and reduce this from happening?

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Re: back pain
« Reply #1 on: 15:31:23, 17/11/07 »
I suffer from a bad back.Carrying a pack doesnt help this,when i need a big bag for an expedition i have to load it as light as possible but on many occasions i have had to use sponge on my shoulders where the bag sits and usually get grazes from where the bag has been rubbing on my back.has anyone got any suggestions to try and reduce this from happening?

Not sure without seeing how you adjust your sac OG. I assume that that the majority of the weight of the sac is on your hips as it should be.
I only carry a day bag so maybe not much help to you

Dave

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:02:45, 17/11/07 »
Hi there, Outdoorgirly

I used to have this problem a bit, but found it was because I didn't have my pack set up right.  The straps weren't tight enough, and would hang from my shoulders, and I never bothered to fasten the clips.  Then one day, after climbing a hill somewhere, I'd had enough and dumped everything out on ground, repacked it, reset the straps and fastened the clips.

I've not been bothered since.

Now aching feet on the other hand ..  ;)

locuschoi

« Reply #3 on: 15:03:19, 18/11/07 »
hi OG

i usually carry my bag weighted 10kg for school because of textbooks..

I ached like you and I found the way..

it is same with blister..

your back might ache because bag strings was not tight

loose strings make the bag go down, and it makes your back weigh more

tight bag strings until your bag stick to back..

and using the bag which lock the strings between your shoulder..

It makes the bag stitch more

I wish you ache get well soon
hi~ though I'm in Korea.. but I like walking so much
and want to be your friend

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:03:16, 18/11/07 »
Depending on what pack your using but good advice from Mr B.

same advice really, check your straps are set right and that you are carrying most of the weight on your hips, also if you pack has an internal system adjust it accordingly.

Hope this helps  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:32:35, 19/11/07 »
 Instead of the sponge try using pipe lagging from a plumber's merchants.It comes in tubes that you slide over the pipe.Cut it down the middle and fit it over your pack straps and then wrap duct tape around it to make it solid.Its a trick my mate used to use when he was in the paras and carrying 80lb packs.He said some of the guys used to have such bad skin injuries you could actually see their collar bones after a 30 mile bash.Using the lagging made it far easier on the shoulders.Clothing can also cause this probelm.On one walk I was wearing a cheap shirt and it reacted with the sweat causing the skin to break.At the end of the walk I looked like I had been flogged in a Singapore jail! :o

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:13:35, 20/11/07 »
Cant really add to this as MR B and Tony k both gave good advice..,just make sure the weight inside is packed proper and even the weight out if at all possible but i expect you've allready tried this eh? trial and error really is'nt it? anyway hope you sort it out as i do know about having heavy packs as i took my 110 litre pak last time i went walking, but now im going for light as possible. Anyway good luck.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

locuschoi

« Reply #7 on: 16:01:45, 20/11/07 »
if it is not good..

how about divide you bagage into 2 bags..

it may seem that to annoy to carry two bags, but it is effective to feel lighter..

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:43:25, 20/11/07 »
if it is not good..

how about divide you bagage into 2 bags..

it may seem that to annoy to carry two bags, but it is effective to feel lighter..

.....and if that fails hire a donkey to carry your excess baggage!

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:18:57, 20/11/07 »
I hear Sherpas and his mountain bison are very cheap to hire,hehe,,,im sorry i couldn't resist{tonyk started it}
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

locuschoi

« Reply #10 on: 17:43:54, 21/11/07 »
haha~~~~^^::

buying donkey like the people lives on desert

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy