Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39843 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #60 on: 13:18:53, 19/12/17 »
Here is the response to the proposal from the Wainwright Society.  O0

The response is what AW would have wanted.

https://www.wainwright.org.uk/articles/2017/thirlmere-zip-wire-objection.html

@ Glyno - Alan Hinkes has liked this stance from the Wainwright Society on facebook, I know you don't do fb, so he is opposing it. I wonder with Eric Robson being the chairman of the Wainwright Society his views are the same as the above?

« Last Edit: 15:10:46, 19/12/17 by April »
Hate will never win

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 13:45:41, 19/12/17 »

@ Glyno - Alan Hinkes has liked this stance from the Wainwright Society on facebook, I know you don't do fb, so he is opposing it. I assume with Eric Robson being the chairman of the Wainwright Society his views are the same as the above  O0

A step in the right direction I suppose.
Though 'liking' something on facebook isn't really the same as openly stating your views on the subject as Terry Abraham has had the courage to do. Not that I'm saying AH (or anyone else for that matter) has an obligation to do so.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #62 on: 13:50:19, 19/12/17 »
Here is the response to the proposal from the Wainwright Society.  O0

The response is what AW would have wanted.

https://www.wainwright.org.uk/articles/2017/thirlmere-zip-wire-objection.html

@ Glyno - Alan Hinkes has liked this stance from the Wainwright Society on facebook, I know you don't do fb, so he is opposing it. I assume with Eric Robson being the chairman of the Wainwright Society his views are the same as the above  O0

Eric Robson is also a Director of Cumbra Tourism, so he may not want to make his views public.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03027358/officers

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 14:08:34, 19/12/17 »
Eric Robson is also a Director of Cumbra Tourism, so he may not want to make his views public.

As soon as I logged off before I remembered Eric Robson was connected to Cumbria Tourism too.

We may never know what his personal views are, I have edited the post I made earlier.

Though 'liking' something on facebook isn't really the same as openly stating your views on the subject as Terry Abraham has had the courage to do. Not that I'm saying AH (or anyone else for that matter) has an obligation to do so.

You are right of course. It is sad that people are seemingly scared to or not being allowed to voice their opinion on such an important issue  :(

« Last Edit: 15:11:55, 19/12/17 by April »
Hate will never win

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 14:31:20, 19/12/17 »

You are right of course. It is sad that people are seemingly scared to or not being allowed to voice their opinion on such an important issue  :(

...or deciding it isn't in their best interests? ;)

In a way, I respected Bonington for standing by his principles regarding the Honister zip-wire.

I suspect businesses in Keswick and Ambleside would stand to benefit massively from this development, I wonder what kind of influence that can have?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 14:44:23, 19/12/17 »
Going through all the design and planning process is not cheep and can be very time consuming.
While it seems a no-brianer to most of us that it should be rejected my worry is that they wouldn't be doing it unless they thought they were in with a good chance.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 15:09:36, 19/12/17 »
...or deciding it isn't in their best interests? ;)

:) If someone could lose their job or livelihood it might be more difficult to speak out.

I suspect businesses in Keswick and Ambleside would stand to benefit massively from this development, I wonder what kind of influence that can have?

I don't think there will be that many people who will come to the Lakes only because of the zip wires. They will already be coming here anyway and will have a go on it if they have the money or inclination. It will take about 30 minutes to an hour perhaps to go across a lake twice? Nobody is going to travel a long way just for that. If the zip wire is all they have come for they may just do a day visit or stay just one night? The responses I've read on facebook from businesses have been against the proposals, they think it might put people off coming to the Lakes. I don't know if there has been a poll of businesses' views?

Going through all the design and planning process is not cheep and can be very time consuming.
While it seems a no-brianer to most of us that it should be rejected my worry is that they wouldn't be doing it unless they thought they were in with a good chance.

This is a quote from Chris W on Grough responses to Terry Abrahams resignation, it would seem some of it is from United Utilities.

"I applaud Terry's stance. He has protected his personal integrity - a good example to others.

I also wonder how the zip wire being funded. A quick look at the socio-economics assessment implies United Utilities are putting up a lot of money for refurb of the area (http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/MediaTemp/68365-265734.pdf). Great, it's land surrounding Thirlmere and needs protection and management.

That said, why does it appear that UU are involved in funding the zip wire? Naively, why is money I've paid through my water bills being used to fund a zip wire I would have to pay to use? I'd expect every UU customer should get at least one free ride a year! Grough team, I think you should look into this further"
Hate will never win

grinderman

« Reply #67 on: 15:32:01, 19/12/17 »
Andy Beck has posted an interesting video on youtube. A walk up Fisher Crag, it would appear that some of the infrastructure for this is already in place, as if a decision has already been made....

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 15:44:54, 19/12/17 »
I couldn't find one called A walk up Fisher Crag, if that was the name, but I found this one by Andy, The Proposed Zip Wire Over Thirlmere, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBjWU3NM68 Is it the one you meant?

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #69 on: 16:41:59, 19/12/17 »
I couldn't find one called A walk up Fisher Crag, if that was the name, but I found this one by Andy, The Proposed Zip Wire Over Thirlmere, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBjWU3NM68 Is it the one you meant?

That's the one that I watched last week that Andy Beck talked about on the Wainwright Forum a while back.

Interesting that United Utilities has a retrospective planning app in for that track work.    See application number 7/2017/2307 on the LNDPA Planning Portal.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #70 on: 16:50:04, 19/12/17 »
Having looked at the reports on the Planning Portal for the Zip Wire, quite of them have the client as being United Utilities.   Certainly the Ecological Assessment and Noise report do.   So it looks like it's actually a joint partnership between UU and TTT.

It's comforting to read the statement that UU have on their Cumbria page on their website, which states:

We've got a lot to thank Cumbria for.....Not just does it contain some of Britain’s most stunning scenery, it’s the source of much of the precious water in our region. For many of us our morning cuppa has started its journey from here.We’re committed to doing our bit to safeguard the natural environment around here, improving and protecting the lakes, rivers and reservoirs. We also do all we can to help life flow smoothly for our customers in the local community.There's so much we are going to be doing to help keep Cumbria flowing.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/about-us/about-cumbria/
« Last Edit: 16:53:18, 19/12/17 by Lakeland Lorry »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 18:30:14, 19/12/17 »
Having looked at the reports on the Planning Portal for the Zip Wire, quite of them have the client as being United Utilities.   Certainly the Ecological Assessment and Noise report do.   So it looks like it's actually a joint partnership between UU and TTT.

Looks like United Utilities are going to get a big percentage of the profits if this gets the go ahead.

£££££££ have made United Utilities forget this maybe?
[/i]We’re committed to doing our bit to safeguard the natural environment around here, improving and protecting the lakes, rivers and reservoirs.

This is like an opportunity not to miss folks, a job at Zip World....oh well perhaps not. The jobs look a bit rubbish at Wales Zip World, people want proper jobs, not seasonal, minimum wage jobs, without security or fixed hours!
https://www.zipworld.co.uk/jobs/instructor-at-zip-world-slate-caverns-blaenau-ffestiniog1

Did people know a company has been created called Zip World Lakes Ltd? Michael Turner is a director, it is a dormant company, let us hope it remains that way. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10663561/officers
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #72 on: 18:52:51, 19/12/17 »
Well worth reading some of the comments make on UKC about the Glenridding Zip Wire, which TTT were planning on building a few years ago.   Fortunately, that one didn't go ahead.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=599808#x7916720

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 19:20:19, 19/12/17 »
Interesting about United Utilities, it hadn't occurred to me before but of course they would have to approve. Why are we not being encouraged to lobby them, they will be much more conscious of their image and public opinion than TTT.

United utilities are secretive about their email address but their chairman is

Dr John McAdam
Haweswater House
Lingley Mere Business Park
Lingley Green Avenue
Great Sankey
Warrington
WA5 3LP

If people do write make sure you lift the quote from their website supplied by Lakeland Lorry

We've got a lot to thank Cumbria for.....Not just does it contain some of Britain’s most stunning scenery, it’s the source of much of the precious water in our region. For many of us our morning cuppa has started its journey from here. We’re committed to doing our bit to safeguard the natural environment around here, improving and protecting the lakes, rivers and reservoirs. We also do all we can to help life flow smoothly for our customers in the local community. There's so much we are going to be doing to help keep Cumbria flowing.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/about-us/about-cumbria/

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 22:19:45, 19/12/17 »
Well worth reading some of the comments make on UKC about the Glenridding Zip Wire, which TTT were planning on building a few years ago.   Fortunately, that one didn't go ahead. https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=599808#x7916720

I remember it well. The proposal was dropped before a planning application was made.

Shocking comments about being employed at Zip World from someone on that forum who said they worked 12 hour days with no breaks  :o

Interesting about United Utilities, it hadn't occurred to me before but of course they would have to approve. Why are we not being encouraged to lobby them, they will be much more conscious of their image and public opinion than TTT.

Perhaps they believed the Zip Wires are what people wanted and didn't realise how many people care for Thirlmere? No, most likely the ££££££ is what is driving them  :(
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy