Author Topic: Left walking boot too wide...  (Read 766 times)

Friar Jake

Left walking boot too wide...
« on: 14:02:41, 18/11/18 »
Hi everyone, first post of many.

So I bought a pair of Hanwag Tatras earlier this year to replace the excellent Hanwag Limas that had finally given up the ghost. I'd tried a pair of the tatras on and they seemed slightly too tight on my right little toe. Being nubuck, I thought they'd give a bit and turn into the perfect boot, molding to my foot eventually. However, I'd read a bit about this and feared this tightness would not give and could cause me problems later on so I decided I'd leave it. Anyway, Hanwag do a wide version of this boot so bought this one thinking all of my problems were solved! I've worn these boots quite a bit now and  have only really been on a couple of strenuous hikes in them and they've been, for the most part, fine. However, if I'm descending I can feel my right foot (the narrower one) slide about a bit and if I'm carrying a heavy pack I can go over on my ankle, not causing injury, but it happens.

I'm off to India in the summer trekking in the foothills of the Himalayas with my school (I'm a teacher, not a child) and I'm concerned I'll injure myself. I've bought special insoles for them which have worked to some extent, but I was hoping for any other advice before I very, very reluctantly sell and replace them...

Maggot

Re: Left walking boot too wide...
« Reply #1 on: 14:12:17, 18/11/18 »
Sell them and replace them.

Apart from anything else, you now perceive a problem.  You will begin a process of spending £00s trying to fix that problem, and every time you lose your footing or get an ache you will blame the boots. 

This will lead to you going insane very slowly  :crazy2:

Change them now while they are still newish, and you still have your mind.

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:19:06, 18/11/18 »
Maybe try a different lacing system before you sell them.  Have a look here for some tips.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lacing+walking+boots+for+descent

Paul

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:25:07, 18/11/18 »
I've bought special insoles for them which have worked to some extent, but I was hoping for any other advice before I very, very reluctantly sell and replace them...

It depends what you mean by "special" insoles?

A few cheap options you could try.

Make sure you stop and tighten the lacing to lock your heel to the back of the boot before you begin any descent.

You could try double socking your left foot to take some of the spare volume out of the boot.

You could try adding a volume reducer under the insole of your left boot to take some of the excess volume out of the boot (usually available in 3mm or 5mm options from some of the outdoor retailers). Depending on the amount of excess volume I suppose if necessary you could even turn over the right volume reducer and use it on top of the left one so you have two volume reducers under the insole in your left boot although if doing this you are getting into the territory of having different leg lengths.

You could try adding a tongue depressor under the tongue of your left boot to take some of the excess volume out of the boot or use this in combination with a volume reducer under the insole of the left boot.
« Last Edit: 14:53:37, 19/11/18 by kinkyboots »

Friar Jake

« Reply #4 on: 16:25:46, 18/11/18 »
I fear I'm already doubting them. Every time I trip or go over on my ankle I think it's the boot. I'm also unsure if it is just the pack weight+uneven ground which makes this almost unavoidable with any footwear.

The lacing system on the Tatras is pretty cool. They've got ball bearing eyelets as well as a locking system to help adjust. I've tried a couple of things but maybe it's worth looking again.

I've bought a pair of green superfeet insoles which have significantly improved the problem but yesterday, up at Old Man of Coniston, my smaller, left foot felt like it was swimming on angled descents (when the flank of my left foot was facing down the hill).

If fell like the Tatra, in either the normal or wide fitting probably isn't the boot for me, but I'm curious about how much nubuck gives. Like I mentioned earlier, the standard width was slightly too tight. I could feel my little toe on the edge of the boot. Does nubuck give that much? Every day boots that I've had, suede or leather have given plenty and resulted in an incredibly comfortable fit. Would a thick nubuck do this too?

Thanks for your replies.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:48:18, 18/11/18 »
Don't know where you're based but my advice would be to make a detour on your next trip to the Lakes and visit Whalley Warm & Dry  and seek their advice.

You probably won't find a better bootfitters in the country and they also have the facilities to be able to steam and stretch boots if it's required.

https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/

https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/customisation-service/

PS Don't forget to take your wallet!  ;)

Maggot

« Reply #6 on: 17:09:25, 18/11/18 »
I fear I'm already doubting them. Every time I trip or go over on my ankle I think it's the boot. I'm also unsure if it is just the pack weight+uneven ground which makes this almost unavoidable with any footwear.

The lacing system on the Tatras is pretty cool. They've got ball bearing eyelets as well as a locking system to help adjust. I've tried a couple of things but maybe it's worth looking again.

I've bought a pair of green superfeet insoles which have significantly improved the problem but yesterday, up at Old Man of Coniston, my smaller, left foot felt like it was swimming on angled descents (when the flank of my left foot was facing down the hill).

If fell like the Tatra, in either the normal or wide fitting probably isn't the boot for me, but I'm curious about how much nubuck gives. Like I mentioned earlier, the standard width was slightly too tight. I could feel my little toe on the edge of the boot. Does nubuck give that much? Every day boots that I've had, suede or leather have given plenty and resulted in an incredibly comfortable fit. Would a thick nubuck do this too?

Thanks for your replies.

It's started  :D

Joking aside, if you aren't happy with them, then no amount of tweekery or faffery will ever make you happy with them!  Get them sold and get some nice new ones that suit you  O0

Ronin83

« Reply #7 on: 18:30:57, 18/11/18 »
I think everyone is overlooking a major point here, one which ive realised myself.

No boots can do everything.
For trekking long distances you need some wiggle room to keep your feet comfy and allow for swelling.
For technical hiking on rugged rocks etc a tighter fit is ideal, the more technical, the tighter(have you ever seen/used climbing shoes? Horrible! But they work!)
I think something in between is best, or a couple of pairs for different situations.

That said, lacing and insoles are obviously very good points by people, many, more experienced than me so don't think im discounting those suggestions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy