Author Topic: Edale slog yesterday!  (Read 1485 times)

wellerchap

Edale slog yesterday!
« on: 12:57:37, 09/03/08 »
Me & my pal Steve carried on our "training" for the Yorkshire 3 Peaks yesterday with a visit to Edale in the Peak District, south east of Sheffield.
We were to tackle a 13 mile route, taking in Kinder Low (633m), descending to terra firma, then going back up the other side of the dale to rattle off Mam Tor (517m) & walk the rest of the Peakland Ridge from there, before descending back to the car, hopefully inside an 8 hour target I'd set.

Steve clambering up the boulder field in the higher reaches of Grindsbrook Clough.

Me, windswept atop one of the many rock formations on Kinder

Steve, struggling to do the same in the strong gusts...

Now & again, I had to use my super powers to clear a path!

Some old tramp laying in a field

Steve, clinging to the Kinder trig point, amid strong winds

Panoramic shot looking into Edale down the Jacob's Ladder route we were about to take

And on Jacob's Ladder itself

Going back up the southern slopes of the dale towards Mam Tor

Looking back

Steve, making his way across Mam Tor's vast northern slopes

Mam Tor's trig point....struggling to even stand up straight in the wind....at least it kept all but the hardiest walkers away though. The rest of the ridge stretching away behind me.

Approaching Back Tor, on the ridge

Balancing on a slab overhanging the side of Back Tor....a nervous Steve had sprinkled a few king-sized raisins to entice me down!

All in all a fabulous day....we drove ourselves up when we were at our most fatigued & recovered quickly again once on the flat, or downhill.
Job done, all in a pleasing 7 hrs 50 mins!

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Edale slog yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: 20:51:06, 09/03/08 »
Breezy or what?  The effort is almost worth double the distance in a wind like that .   Nice pics, too, I specially like the panoramic shots..... 
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Solofool

« Reply #2 on: 21:58:40, 11/03/08 »
Great pictures, far far better than that silly DVD, ooooooooo i am so excited will be there next thursday, booked B&B.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:17:17, 13/03/08 »
Again some great pictures. We're looking to do something vaguely similar (maybe next weekend).

Up Grindsbrook, across through Kinder Gates, round the edge by Kinder Downfall, past Kinder Low, over Brown Knoll, across Rushup edge, Up Mam Tor then finally down into Edale at Hollins Cross.

All being well I'll have pictures of my own to post. We've tried this walk a few times but never completed for various reasons. Hopefully weather and time permitting we'll manage it this time.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

luv2walk

« Reply #4 on: 11:50:04, 14/03/08 »
Enjoyed the photos and walk report. Note to Dazza - noticed on an earlier walk you failed to descend Crowden Clough so why not ascend that way next time? The path is to the left of the falls but if it's not icy then a direct ascent up the falls makes for a good scramble.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:29:25, 15/03/08 »
Cheers, I'll think about that one for future reference.

Grindsbrook is being looked at so I can compare how I feel to last time. See if the gym is making any difference.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy