Author Topic: Stove and compact pot  (Read 6704 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Stove and compact pot
« on: 16:57:25, 17/04/19 »
I'm thinking of getting a little stove and pot. The chap with the Welsh village as a name likes the jetboil, it looks nice and compact which is good. Any other recommendations? Reasons against getting the jetboil?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Stove and compact pot
« Reply #1 on: 17:06:33, 17/04/19 »
If you just want a brew during a day walk, why not consider a meths stove? Very cheap, very light, very quiet and some have built in windshields.

https://speedsterstoves.co.uk/

..but don't let me put you off a Jetboil - they are well regarded.

(I say 'very quiet' as my Primus Omnilite sounds like a jet engine! Used it today whilst out walking with my son, but rather overkill).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:35:19, 17/04/19 »
If you just want a brew during a day walk, why not consider a meths stove? Very cheap, very light, very quiet and some have built in windshields.

https://speedsterstoves.co.uk/

..but don't let me put you off a Jetboil - they are well regarded.

(I say 'very quiet' as my Primus Omnilite sounds like a jet engine! Used it today whilst out walking with my son, but rather overkill).

Crikey your stove costs almost as much as a decent tent!

Not too fond of the idea of carrying meths around, I'm a little paranoid about falling over and cracking the liquid containers - it's bad enough with water meths is another level.

Maybe if I had a sturdy enough container? Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:43:04, 17/04/19 »
I should add I'll probably take a tin of curry and a packet of microwave rice on my day walks if I get a stove as opposed to taking a sandwich or pasty. It would be nice if it was suitable for a day or two of wild camping too, it's something my interest in is growing the more I read about it on the forum so I might give be doing it in the future.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:47:08, 17/04/19 »
MSR  Microrocket stove  .
folds up into a hardened case and has a Piezo Ignitor also .  Ultralight and compact .
Along with MSR Gas canister to suit also .
You can Buy a Lightweight Aluminium cooking pot and handle to put it all Into .
Advise buy a foldup 3 leg stand to balance it all , whilst cooking . Cost around £40/50  If you Shop around might find little cheaper  . ;) O0

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:55:38, 17/04/19 »
MSR  Microrocket stove  .
folds up into a hardened case and has a Piezo Ignitor also .  Ultralight and compact .

Thanks for this suggestion. Little concerned how it will perform in the wind after a quick Google but maybe the stand you recommend would help with this?

zuludog

« Reply #6 on: 18:57:48, 17/04/19 »
As you might have noticed, there are so many stoves & pans. I think a gas stove might suit you best
OEX is Go Outdoors backpacking gear range. Maybe not the absolute best, but good enough for most mortals - such as myself!
Here are some examples from the OEX range that would suit you, prices approx -

Nova hose connected gas stove, inc windshield £16
Etna cartridge top stove £11
Kuju stove & pan set  £29
Sola X pan set. I have this and it's good, the HX base is very efficient £16. The small pan is just right for brews
I have an OEX hose connected stove that I'm happy enough with, but it has been discontinued; it was similar to the Nova

Otherwise browse round the usual stores & websites - Cotswold, Blacks etc
Whatever you get you might have to contrive some sort of a windshield, behind a stone wall, or whatever

An alternative would be the one person Trangia, the 27 range. It's a bit more expensive, but tried & tested, and works well in a breeze. It's a meths burner, but thousands of backpackers have lived to tell the tale!. Just get a metal fuel bottle

Another choice would be a 1,5l non stick Trangia pan for about £12 plus a simple cartridge top burner for about £10

Surf YouTube; there will be loads of videos on stoves & pans
« Last Edit: 19:08:10, 17/04/19 by zuludog »

Ralph

« Reply #7 on: 19:07:06, 17/04/19 »
You mentioned the Jetboil, have you had a look at the BruKit from Alpkit. It's the same set up but much cheaper, all the reviews are good.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:11:10, 17/04/19 »
Thank you zuludog. I don't mind spending a bit on a stove but Richard's one is too much for me and probably more than I need.

I'll definitely need to do something about a wind shield, this is likely to be near the summit of a hill in the least windy unoccupied space nearby.

Couldn't find the nova stove. The others might work I'll look for reviews.

I'll probably stick with gas rather than meths but a metal fuel bottle would alleviate my concerns.

I'd imagine meths is more of a hassle.

Thanks Ralph I'll check out the BruKit.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:13:57, 17/04/19 »
I’ve used a Trangia in Scotland and in the Alps. I never had a problem with the meths container. Actually, there was one time many years ago in a dodgy pub in Carlisle. Two of us from university were heading up to Scotland by train for some walking at the start of the summer. My friend was a train buff and wanted to travel on the Settle to Carlisle line, as it was under threat at the time and there might not have been another opportunity. Between trains we stopped for a pint whereupon one of the locals became very interested in the contents of our meths container. I think he was hoping it was something he could drink. At least it broke the ice, as it was one of those pubs that goes silent when a stranger enters.

zuludog

« Reply #10 on: 19:15:00, 17/04/19 »
ROB -

I've just rememberd. Have a look at Alpkit, they have some good stuff & offers

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:25:18, 17/04/19 »
I think the Trangia would appeal more if I was spending a long time on the trail. The BruKit looks interesting but is slower than the Jetboil, however 1/3rd of the price of the Jetboil flash. So much choice! I think I'll decline the MSR Micro Rocket on account of it not liking the wind. Still looking...

Edit: This site seems to have some good information:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-backpacking-stove
« Last Edit: 19:40:30, 17/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

zuludog

« Reply #12 on: 19:40:49, 17/04/19 »
There is the Trangia Mini

I remember one cold, blustery day on the summit of Helvellyn a couple produced their Trangia Mini and made bacon butties & mugs of tea with no bother

I think it would be worthwhile for you to visit a couple of large camping shops and see the things in the flesh. Ask the staff, they're usually pleasant & helpful
For lighting buy a pack of 4 or 5 plastic disposable lighters from a discount store.
Or use a firesteel. But they're not quite as easy as they look; watch videos and get some practice

I've just seen that Go Outdoors have extra discount on some gear, inc cooking, till 23 April
« Last Edit: 20:02:25, 17/04/19 by zuludog »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:05:40, 17/04/19 »
Very impressed with my recently bought MSR Pocket Rocket2  O0
Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:09:50, 17/04/19 »
After some reading so far I've come to the conclusion that expecting a stove to cook tins of curry well and perform well in the wind is asking too much. Do you disagree? It seems small cannister stoves are what you want for simmering but they can't get a simmer going in even 10 mph wind. Integrated cannister stoves are great when it's windy but will burn a tin of curry rather than cook it. Am I wrong?

Very impressed with my recently bought MSR Pocket Rocket2  O0

This attracted my attention too but this worried me about it:

However, it performed poorly in our 8-10mph wind test, when it burned 1 oz of fuel in 30 minutes and did not boil the water.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy