Author Topic: The Llyn Peninsula - Info required for upcoming holiday :-)  (Read 2292 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Hi all :)

I'm off to the Llyn Peninsular soon to walk some of the coastal path. I'll be based in Tudweiliog, just a few miles South West of Morfa Nefyn.
I've only ever been on the Llyn once before and I stayed in Abersoch, just for a weekend of celebrations when my mum was 70. I did a little bit of exploring close by but really didn't have the time to go off wandering properly.

If any of you can recommend any particularly nice places/sections of the coast path, or anywhere that's worth a visit or you think's interesting, that would be great! :) 

Although I'll have my car to get about, I'd like to do some linear walks & use local buses if possible. Does anyone know how easy this is on the Llyn?

I have both maps (arrived today), so I've got that covered. 8)

Thanks,

Tracey :)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I visited various bits of the Lleyn coastline when I lived in Snowdonia; I particularly like Aberdaron and the coast around the western tip, and Porth Dinllaen is worth a visit - not often you find a pub on the beach! The coast along the NW near Tudweiliog has a more remote feel to it in places, if I recall. But that was 20 years ago!

Enjoy your trip, Tracey   :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
The Lleyn peninsular is a very special place and I have been privileged to spend time there as a very novice camper, later mountaineer, diver and crewing various boats around it. If you have the chance to visit Bardsey Island it is worth a visit, I was fortunate to take small boat over when it was mysteriously privately owned and the locals were very supportive of such private ventures, giving advice on how to beat the tides and other advice. Tudweiliog section of the coast, beautiful mini coves and worth exploring. Porthdinllaen also well worth a visit, pub on the beach with a walk around the headland should be a must.
If there are sea mists, when you are there, then the Yr Eifl may give you some spectacular vistas, to an experience walker the map around this small hill will surely spark off some intriguing routes. There was a deserted village, a ghost settlement of a deserted quarrying company that shipped the stone directly into ships, but I think this has now been developed, but the footpaths seem to have survived to capture some of the history.
There is a walk that the terrain almost demands of a discerning walker, a box route, 3 sides coastal joining across the inland section of the toe that forms the west of Aberdaeron Bay.
The sound between St Tudwal's Islands is a stretch I also favour the beach is quieter there than Abersoch, perhaps not as exciting as the north side, but just find finding a place to look across Hell's Mouth should excite. Especially with 2 areas of open access on either point.

Hope you enjoy your time there, Tracy, plenty of tourist guides but I think your OS maps contain more ingredients for adventure.

PS. A quick look at the Llanbedrog - Nevin service looks ideal for pre-planned linears, provided you use them to outward journey from parking up for return. The Bus route seems to fit in very well with the geography, to my eye anyway.
« Last Edit: 13:19:59, 04/06/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Thanks both for the info, I really appreciate it :)   I've made notes! lol

I'd planned to go over to Bardsey Island and will be pre-booking a boat trip.  Just hope the weather is good on the day or the boat wont sail!

Getting excited now, as I just love exploring different areas of coastline.  Hoping to go over to Ireland later on in the year and will be staying on one of the Greek Islands again in September. 8)

If anyone has more info to add about the Llyn, please feel free! :)

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Check out the Llyn coastal bus services 2 Buses run regular services .
From Llanbedrog ,Abersoch, Port Neigwl,
Aberdaron , Porthor & Nefyn .

Where you can "Hail & Ride".  Between stops  O0

Also Bus route services From Pwllheli to Nefyn / Morfa Nefyn and Tudweiliog.  Covering most of the coastal path and Villages  :) ;D

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Having lived in a famous holiday Village at Pen-y-Chain .
for ten years in 60/70.
 I got to know all Llyn Peninsula ,Towns and Villages And all the lovely beachs  .
Walks along the Headland from Pen-y-Chain down  the long  4 Mile Abererch Sands to Pwllheli .
And over to Llanbedrog and to spend lots of time in Abersoch   8) Glorious beaches .  
Then Explore all the coastal path via Sarn Bach all around  
Bwlchtocyn the remote  
Port Ceiriad and the long sandy beach of Port Neigwl.
Known also as Helps Mouth .

This part of the Llyn is stunning overlooking Cardigan Bay and the view of the Snowdonia Range in the distance .
So lots and lots of walks . This is my part of the Llyn .
And I fell in love with It so long ago .
And keep going back . It never fails to Amaze me . ::) :o O0

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Whoops  :o
predicted spelling Wrongly called (Helps :-[ mouth )
Port Neigwl
 also known as Hells  Mouth ::)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Thanks muchly zigzag, that's really helpful O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy