Author Topic: [TR]Aran Ridge south-west 2-day backpack  (Read 2598 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
[TR]Aran Ridge south-west 2-day backpack
« on: 09:35:06, 22/09/19 »
A solo traverse of the Aran ridge from south to north, taking a new approach from the south-west to include Foel Benddin, our only unclimbed Dewey 500m summit in the range.

Foel Benddin is most inconsiderate in its situation and topology: forming a final spur off the southern end of the ridge, it is dauntingly steep on all other sides, difficult to access, pathless and rarely visited or mentioned. This route approaches the ridge around the south-western slopes of the Arans and uses a zigzag forest track on the flank of the hills to gain most of the height, leaving just a short out-and-back to gain the summit.

Conditions were strange on this trip: both days had superb clear views in unbroken sunshine, but overnight the wind increased from almost zero to very strong with gale force gusts over the hills, often making the ridge walking difficult and tiring. The whole route was deserted until I met a handful of walkers ascending the lower slopes near the end approaching Llanuwchllyn.

Full report & photos

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR]Aran Ridge south-west 2-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 12:46:55, 22/09/19 »
Thanks for the report, it was an interesting read with excellent photos.  O0

Aran Fawddwy is probably my favourite Welsh peak so far (although we've not done a great many!) and I've been using the photo I took from the summit looking back towards Aran Benllyn for my PC backdrop since we were there a few months ago. It's not that the views were more impressive than from other peaks, but that I much prefer having no one else anywhere around!  :)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:10:04, 22/09/19 »
Thanks Dave.
The Arans are considerably less popular than the honeypots farther north, but on a fine day Aran Fawddwy can amass a small crowd for a while around noon, mainly ascending from Cwm Cywarch. A very fine peak with Creiglyn Dyfi below.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:58:42, 22/09/19 »
An enjoyable read and some lovely photos - especially of the sunset, dawn inversion and of Cadair Idris. Thanks for posting.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:14:50, 23/09/19 »
Thanks Richard, a great couple of days for clarity and sharp views.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:21:18, 24/09/19 »
Great photos and report vghikers  O0

We must go back to Wales  :)
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:51:20, 25/09/19 »
Thanks April, you must indeed.  :)