Author Topic: Walking in leggings?  (Read 10418 times)

SailorBob

Walking in leggings?
« on: 23:54:14, 23/09/17 »

I don't do a huge amount of hill walking - typically only when on holiday in a suitable area. Such an occaision was a few weeks ago in the lakes, where we did several walks as well as other outdoor activities.

On one day the forecast was to tip it down with rain all day, so a low-ish walk was planned.  As we were going to be out for quite a long time, I thought it prudent to wear full waterproofs, but what to wear under my waterproof trousers?  Given that it was unlikely I'd stay completely dry, either through leaks or sweat, I opted to wear some leggings that I normally use for watersports. I knew they dried really quickly, were a good fit & comfortable to wear when wet. So whilst possibly an unconventional choice, a practical one with what I had available.  With the forecast thought it safe to assume they'd be hidden all day under the overtrousers.

All good to begin with, but an hour or so in the rain stopped & the sun came out!!  The legwear combination was way too hot so the only option was to dispense with the overtrousers!  Fortunately I was wearing a fairly long t-shirt so modesty was maintained.  Needless to say the sun didn't last very long, and the rain reappeared - gently at first but then gradually getting heavier.  I initially didn't put the overtrousers back on, so when I did it was the 'worst case' with wet clothes under waterproofs.  However, despite this it was remarkably comfortable to walk in, including a bit of an ascent. Once the rain eased off & I opened the side zips, they quickly dried off with a bit of ventilation.  Towards mid afternoon the sky cleared and the sun came out properly, so by the end of the day I was just in leggings and t-shirt!

I was amazed at how comfortable the leggings were in all the conditions. By themselves they didn't seem to have much wind resistance, but this was good when the sun came out as the air could get through them. With a light rain I didn't notice them getting damp - certainly none of that 'clinging' you get with normal clothes.  When the weather got worse, it's then easy to add an extra layer, and it wasn't uncomfortable if the leggings were wet underneath the waterproofs.

There were other people walking in leggings.  Mostly these were younger women - previously I'd have just put this down to them wearing something that was ok to walk in rather than forking out for 'proper' trousers, but now I'd say it's possibly a specific choice.  Needless to say I didn't see any other blokes in leggings...

So given that it's commonplace for men to wear leggings / tights for other activities such as running & cycling, is there any reason other than 'fashion' that they don't wear them hill walking?  For occaisional walkers such as myself, it makes sense to use stuff I have from other activities.

A bit of googling revealed an article written by a Canadian. I can't post the link, but you can find it by googling 'backpacking tights'.  It seems to concur with my findings, and has quite a few comments agreeing. I think the author is Canadian - has anyone this side of the pond had any similar experience?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking in leggings?
« Reply #1 on: 09:40:01, 24/09/17 »
I'm pretty sure I read about hiking leggings in the Great Outdoors recently? Each to his/her own. I'm a 29" inside leg so tights do not suit me and the idea of me wearing a pair for day after day is not appealing, especially when out for the eveing, I'd look a right 'nana! My neighbour across the road, who has a 34" inside leg she would look great in such clothing.

Although tights do not suit me I do use a pair to run off road and I only do this so to avoid tics, etc. I only wear them for up to 3-5 miles, I change into them when I park and change back to my ordinary clothes when I finish.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:15:50, 24/09/17 »
My neighbour across the road, who has a 34" inside leg she would look great in such clothing.

How do you know these things? Put your binoculars away!  ;D ;D ;D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:22:15, 24/09/17 »
Her mum told me!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:53:51, 24/09/17 »
It used to be common to walk in Ron Hill tracksters which aren't a lot different from leggings. They did give you a bit of the Rudolf Nearenough look.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:13:28, 24/09/17 »

I sometimes wear cheapo leggings under paramo trousers in winter.  I also chuck them in my rucksack if I think I might need an extra layer, just because they are so light.
I can't think they would be very comfortable when wet though.  And I confidently expect I look truly awful in them, but luckily there are no mirrors up hills, so while it may trouble other people, it doesn't really bother me!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:10:07, 24/09/17 »
I like wearing my Skins compression leggings, as they offer my legs a great deal of protection from the elements.
Even when soaking wet, my legs stay fairly warm, and still offer full protection from the elements.
If the weather really turns nasty, then its time for the over trousers, but the weather has to be really poor for those to come out.

Its the thought of wearing them that seems off putting to some, but i am past caring of what others think, they work, and that's all that matters.

I suppose many people would feel very self conscious wearing them, but you can easily wear them under a pair of tracksters or by themselves, they give superb support to the leg muscles over longer distances, and offer great protection in both wind and rain.

They never get too hot in warm weather either.

Ive worn mine for over four years now, and find them very comfortable, and hardwearing.
« Last Edit: 15:15:04, 24/09/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:42:40, 24/09/17 »

Ive worn mine for over four years now, and find them very comfortable, and hardwearing.

I hope you remove them from time to time for cleaning  :D

I'm assuming the original post is trying to promote the article (as people do).
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:30:15, 24/09/17 »
I hope you remove them from time to time for cleaning  :D 

;D ;D ;D

jethro10

« Reply #9 on: 17:11:58, 24/09/17 »
My wife wears leggings.
I replicate the closest I feel comfortable in - stretch trousers.
Similar feel, and I have pockets.

J

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:26:52, 24/09/17 »
My wife wears leggings.
Similar feel, and I have pockets.
J

Man with hands in pockets .....no sorry,  :o old joke
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jethro10

« Reply #11 on: 17:50:34, 24/09/17 »
Man with hands in pockets .....no sorry,  :o old joke
I walked into that one!
J

SailorBob

« Reply #12 on: 22:47:10, 01/10/17 »

I caught the end of Countryfile earlier this evening - Ellie Harrison was doing a bit on rambling in Yorkshire, sporting some multicoloured leggings.  So I guess that's celebrity endorsement??   :)

Thanks for the various replies.  Good to hear that nobody had a technical reason why they shouldn't be worn, so as I suspected it's an appearance thing.  I think this sums it up well:

Its the thought of wearing them that seems off putting to some, but i am past caring of what others think, they work, and that's all that matters.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:12:04, 02/10/17 »
I wear my Skins compression leggings, because i know they certainly help to alleviate muscle tension and soreness over long periods.
The leggings are very close fitting, and for someone unused to wearing them, they might find they constrict their legs too much, but the Compression clothing idea, certainly works in practice.
If you lack the confidence to wear them by themselves, then there is no reason why you cannot wear them under walking trousers or other clothing.

On a particularly long and challenging walk from Ogwen road side, near Glan Denna, to the pub in Rowen and back, i completed several years ago, my body was certainly tired from exhaustion, but i was surprised how quickly my legs recovered from such a long strenuous walk.

Compression leggings, or clothing certainly work, but you have to be confident enough to wear them.

All i can say, is that they work for me, and even when totally saturated with water, they still offer good protection from the elements, due to the very fine weave construction of the nylon fabric.

Ventasilurum

« Reply #14 on: 15:54:39, 02/10/17 »
running tights in winter all day long for me unless its absolutely belting it down

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy