Author Topic: Welcome to WalkingForum.co.uk - Please read  (Read 337667 times)

kiwi-in-devon

Re: Welcome to WalkingForum.co.uk - Please read
« Reply #1185 on: 22:28:17, 01/10/13 »
Hello - I am a New Zealander iiving in the UK.  I have done quite a lot of tramping (as we call it in NZ) but not a lot here.  Just completed the East Devon Way and now want to look at new trails. :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1186 on: 07:48:51, 02/10/13 »
Hi Kiwi and welcome from the Peak District  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

kiwi-in-devon

« Reply #1187 on: 08:01:14, 02/10/13 »
Thanks for you welcome.   :)

greenhouse

A Newbie Over Sixty Backpacker
« Reply #1188 on: 02:27:33, 05/10/13 »
Hello walkers

I've always loved walking and wilderness but, you know, work and children push the dreams to the back. I first realised my life's dream of sleeping out on a hilltop when I was about 55 and nearly died of hypothermia, but I did discover that there was nothing to be afraid of up there (except hypothermia) and have spent the last six years learning how to improve the experience.  So now I am a 61-year-old competent female back-packer. Each year I buy one expensive item of kit. Until now, I have only been able to make one foray per year because of my husband's ill health.

Are there any more lone female wild campers out there? Why are we such a rare breed?

Greenhouse.
walkingstuff.wordpress.com

kiwi-in-devon

« Reply #1189 on: 07:59:46, 05/10/13 »
Hello Greenhouse

I loved your post - well done you.  I am also an older female walker (68) and have recently realised there is little to fear when out in isolated places alone.  I have never slept out alone in a tent, but that is something to aspire to!  Have you read the book 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed?  A good read about a lone, female, wilderness walker.

:)

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1190 on: 09:15:46, 05/10/13 »
I have never wild-camped but have camped alone on small quiet campsites and there is certainly nothing to fear. I have so far always said I didn't fancy the wildcamping (friends of mine do it all the time) but after a 'hell of a year' and now getting back more freedom I am wondering if my stubborn refusal to give it a try is inhibiting my enjoyment.For example I would like to do the coast to coast but staying in B&Bs all the time is costly and restricting. Similarly on other longer paths. I like to idea of buying a new decent bit of kit each year.

So, thank you Greenhouse. Your post might just see me making a leap into the new adventures thatwild camping will bring.

(Can I add, welcome to the forum, and I think this topic, and your post on the subject,  should form a new thread on the forum, rather than tucked away here on the welcome board)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

john hedrick

Hello from Virginia
« Reply #1191 on: 13:57:24, 10/10/13 »
I live in the eastern US near the Shenandoah National Park.  The Appalachian Trail goes thru the park for 100 miles and there are some 400 other miles of hiking trails in the park along with many deer, black bears and turkeys.
I enjoy hiking in the UK and have completed the Pennine Way, Coast to Coast, West Highland Way and Great Glen Way.  In the states I have completed the Appalachian Trail and the John Muir Trail, among others.  I think the John Muir trail is possibly the most beautiful 200 mile trail in the states, beginning at Yosemite National Park and ending at Mount Whitney (14,500 feet).  This is a plug for a famous Scotsman and one of my heroes.
Next year I'm looking to do either the Pembrokeshire Coast Path or the Cornwall Coast Path so I look forward to reading about the experiences others have had on these trails.
Thanks for providing such a wonderful forum.
John

firecracker

« Reply #1192 on: 13:05:28, 14/10/13 »
Hi, the forum's a good idea. Hopefully will find some interesting people to walk with in my area  O0
If it's not raining, it's not training!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy