Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292411 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #930 on: 18:28:03, 03/12/19 »
I have a Rab windveil, the earlier version and it is the jacket I wear most.  Just love it, its light, shower proof and rolls up into its own pocker.
It's all uphill from here.

Mark101

« Reply #931 on: 19:23:48, 03/12/19 »
Are you sure?

I read it as TOPO maps for Android OS.
Garmin also uses TOPO maps which get badly pixelated when trying to zoom in etc.

Hope I'm wrong and that it is truly OS maps because then the prices on other apps may drop if OS are willing to allow their stuff out at that price. Seems strange that they would undercut themselves by so much.

Seems like, as its the Black Friday deal
Walking for relaxation

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #932 on: 21:09:38, 03/12/19 »

Seems like, as its the Black Friday deal
Strange, as they say TOPO maps for Android OS which is quite different to OS maps (meaning Ordnance Survey, they usually state Explorer and/or Landranger) as distinct from Open Source(OS) TOPO maps which are available free on other apps and the OS next to Android stands for Operating System.

Hopefully GWM will give us the answer as he has actually got the app now and will know for certain what they are writing about.   

If they are really offering free lifetime full UK Landranger/Explorer maps for that price then VR has lost a customer.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #933 on: 10:24:55, 04/12/19 »
I've just had a look at my Backcountry app, it states 'UK OS maps from Bing.' I must admit I'm not into maps so the various distinctions between them are beyond my knowledge base. I just point my phone and go and check when I need to. I can't say that the Backcountry OS maps have ever let me down, I wouldn't really know what to look for to decide?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #934 on: 10:38:02, 04/12/19 »
I've just had a look at my Backcountry app, it states 'UK OS maps from Bing.' I must admit I'm not into maps so the various distinctions between them are beyond my knowledge base. I just point my phone and go and check when I need to. I can't say that the Backcountry OS maps have ever let me down, I wouldn't really know what to look for to decide?
I followed this up by googling to see if Bing OS maps were truly Ordnance Survey maps and not open source maps. Looks like I will be learning to use the Backcountry app whilst waiting for my VR subscription to Ordnance Survey to expire.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #935 on: 13:24:54, 04/12/19 »
Download the free Backcountry app first, if you don't like it then you haven't parted with any money.

Patrick1

« Reply #936 on: 14:48:47, 04/12/19 »
Bing Maps are absolutely OS, both 1:50000 and 1:25000. I use the web based ones that I've linked to often for planning trips. Click on the button marked "Road" in the top right of the screen, for anyone who hasn't used them before, and you can change from a road atlas type map to the OS ones. Only downside online is there's no distance measuring tool, so I tend to hop over to WalkLakes for that...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #937 on: 17:28:01, 04/12/19 »
Thanks for the 'Walklakes' suggestion, I don't know that site. I like the routes marked in dark blue, well at least I think its dark blue? I'm a bit colour blind and those particular route maps are very easy for me to see, the worse ones for me are when they are marked in red.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #938 on: 18:02:56, 04/12/19 »
... Only downside online is there's no distance measuring tool, ....

There is!

Right click on the map and second from bottom it says "measure distance"  O0

Flanners

« Reply #939 on: 10:17:13, 05/12/19 »
Rab Cirrus Flex. Have an assortment of thinner Rab insulated offerings Alpine Microlight. Nimbus, Altus etc some I walk/hike in some are just too hot for that and are for the High Street.....I am hoping the Cirrus provides some warmth and insulation but also sheds heat/sweat through the stretch panels with higher exertion levels to stop overheating/dampness. Good price at Trekitt too.

FOX160

« Reply #940 on: 05:21:42, 08/12/19 »
« Last Edit: 13:15:58, 08/12/19 by FOX160 »

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #941 on: 10:01:45, 08/12/19 »
While in Australia i purchased a Kathmandu down jacket. Worked out around £95 at today's exchange rate which I am more than happy with  O0 
https://www.kathmandu.com.au/flinders-men-s-down-jacket.html
The UK on is a bit more
https://www.kathmandu.co.uk/mens/jackets-and-vests/mens-down-insulated-jackets/flinders-men-s-down-jacket.html

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #942 on: 07:20:25, 10/12/19 »
A pair of Rab nebula mitts, as I’ve really been struggling to keep my hands warm (with gloves on!) so far this Winter.
Also, a couple of thicker mid-layer fleeces. Bargains in the so called Black Friday sales! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #943 on: 17:17:00, 12/12/19 »
Not strictly a walking purchase but my new Motorola G7 Power mobile provides speedy access to the OS maps outdoors and has very good battery life. Costing about £140, it won't cut it with the iphone enthusiasts. The only drawbacks are size and perhaps weight. A smaller and cheaper G6 model might do as an alternative.Dave

Hadrian

« Reply #944 on: 14:09:23, 23/12/19 »
A couple of Osprey dry sacks - one 3 litre capacity, the other 6 litres. The smaller is ideal for stuffing smaller items - gloves, hats, neck warmer - and the larger for stuffing a couple of mid-layers or a waterproof shell. I’m using them both in an Osprey daypack to save space.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy