Author Topic: Memory foam boots  (Read 3762 times)

Steelystan

Memory foam boots
« on: 11:26:48, 03/09/08 »
Owing to a recent wet feet experience, I plan to get a new pair of boots, and relegate my current ones to backup when weather is certain to be dryer than a torrent.

I fancy the Meindl Vakuum, here, http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens-footwear/4033157410404 which have a Memory Foam insole system.  I get the concept, but has anyone got experience of using this thing?

SS
178/214.

stevieboy378

Re: Memory foam boots
« Reply #1 on: 12:01:11, 03/09/08 »
I wear Meindl GTX Burma's, which have the MFS, and they're just superb - Basically you lace them up at the start of your walk, then again after half an hour or so - once the foam gets warm it moulds to the shape of your ankles, and the laces need to be re-tightened . . .
I've been wearing Meindl's for 10 years or more now, and I've never had any problems with any of the 3 or 4 pairs I've owned in that time - They're comfortable straight from the box, need no breaking in, and perform well - great pieces of kit . . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Steelystan

« Reply #2 on: 14:19:05, 03/09/08 »
I wear Meindl GTX Burma's, which have the MFS, and they're just superb - Basically you lace them up at the start of your walk, then again after half an hour or so - once the foam gets warm it moulds to the shape of your ankles, and the laces need to be re-tightened . . .
I've been wearing Meindl's for 10 years or more now, and I've never had any problems with any of the 3 or 4 pairs I've owned in that time - They're comfortable straight from the box, need no breaking in, and perform well - great pieces of kit . . . .

That's good 'cos I just bought 'em on the way to my office. :)
178/214.

springsoles

« Reply #3 on: 13:29:12, 11/09/08 »
Yeah there pretty sweet. I've found a decent pair of gel insoles do the same thing though.
Want to increase endurance and eliminate shin splints?

Try the worlds only performance enhancing insole!

At - http://SPRINGSOLES.co.uk [nofollow]

stevieboy378

« Reply #4 on: 16:11:37, 11/09/08 »
I've found a decent pair of gel insoles do the same thing though.

Not really - Meindl boots have memory foam in the upper, and also in the ankle padding of the boots . . . as it gets warm it moulds itself to the shape of the wearers feet, making a nice close fitting boot which won't move around to cause any discomfort . . . it really works ! !
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .

Steve Wilcox

springsoles

« Reply #5 on: 11:43:17, 14/09/08 »
Not really - Meindl boots have memory foam in the upper, and also in the ankle padding of the boots . . . as it gets warm it moulds itself to the shape of the wearers feet, making a nice close fitting boot which won't move around to cause any discomfort . . . it really works ! !

Yes I understand what they do, (I used to have some) but I was just saying I've never felt much of a difference between these and a good pair of gell insoles. Our feet aint that different in shape after you've put a pair of hiking socks on.
Want to increase endurance and eliminate shin splints?

Try the worlds only performance enhancing insole!

At - http://SPRINGSOLES.co.uk [nofollow]

Steelystan

« Reply #6 on: 08:26:19, 15/09/08 »
well I used them for the first time last week walking to the out of town Tesco when my wife demanded a bottle of wine. It's about six miles and they were immediately comfy, though I had to experiment with the lacing a bit. This Saturday we went to the Lakes and did about six miles around Harter Fell near Hard Knott pass. Again they were really comfy even with just my normal White sports  socks. If anything more so and when I checked the socks there were no signs of wear or "balling" on the heels. Also the route we took was really swampy and I was ankle deep in water half the time but never got even slightly wet.  All in all terrific boots.
178/214.

stevieboy378

« Reply #7 on: 08:38:51, 15/09/08 »
I'd have put money on you being over the moon with them - they're great boots, the only brand I'll buy nowadays . . .

How was Eskdale by the way ? My favourite part of the world - I've spent many an hour the worse for wear in the Burnmoor in Boot, or the King George on the green . . . . .  :-[

Steve Wilcox

Steelystan

« Reply #8 on: 14:15:28, 16/09/08 »
How was Eskdale by the way ? My favourite part of the world - I've spent many an hour the worse for wear in the Burnmoor in Boot, or the King George on the green . . . . .  :-[

It was amazing.  Started out glum and a little drizzly while we looked around the roman fort.  Before we got togged up to walk the drizzle had stopped and the sun came out.  It was still and actually quite hot all day with a beautiful sunset as we trod back down from the summit of Hard Knott pass .   They say the Lakes are getting too busy though these days.  During the whole walk we saw one bird, and a woman with a little girl looking for a loose horse.  I don't really call that rammed!

SS
178/214.

stevieboy378

« Reply #9 on: 14:39:18, 16/09/08 »
Eskdale and Wasdale are pretty awkward to get to - you either have to take the coastal roads, or brave the Hardknott pass - and that tends to keep most of the tourists away . . . .

Steve Wilcox

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy