Author Topic: Pedometer  (Read 8737 times)

Graham

Re: Pedometer
« Reply #15 on: 16:34:28, 05/10/08 »
The Garmin sound like a great bit of kit, how long do the batterys last for? Do you also carry an OS map as well.

stevieboy378

« Reply #16 on: 16:50:04, 05/10/08 »
yea I always carry a map ( 2 actually - I always keep a spare in my rucksack after having one blown out of my hands on Great Gable a few years back  :-[ ) - the GPS usually remains in its case on my rucksack - I like to rely on my map / compass skills . . . .

A GPS unit like the eTrex Summit is pretty useless without a map anyway, as it displays no map of its own - all you get on screen are the waypoints you've programmed into it, and a readout of your position.

I use the Garmin in Battery save mode - if I use it in normal mode the stored track tends to start to "eat its tail" half way through my walk. . . .
A pair of 2500MAh rechargeables last between 18 and 24 hours, depending on how worn out they are . . .
« Last Edit: 16:53:02, 05/10/08 by stevieboy378 »
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Graham

« Reply #17 on: 18:08:22, 05/10/08 »
Sounds like the battery life is not going to be a problem for me, as Im only looking at being out for 1 day. I think I would be comfortable knowing how to use a compass and map as well just in case.

stevieboy378

« Reply #18 on: 18:57:50, 05/10/08 »
Yes - theres no doubt that a map and compass, and the ability to use them, is essential kit once you start walking off the beaten tracks. I'm fortunate enough to have been taught navigation at school in the 70's, as part of the Duke Of Edinburgh scheme, and its stayed with me since - kind of like riding a bike - one never forgets the skill . . .
A GPS is useful though, in mist for example ( when a compass is rendered useless for anything other than showing direction ), and also for double checking when you're learning to navigate with a map and compass - it'll indicate EXACTLY where you are while you triangulate from 2 known points with the compass, and you'll know straight away if your technique is good . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

yovenim

« Reply #19 on: 02:10:51, 10/09/23 »
I’m looking for a reliable pedometer to use on a walk, can anyone suggest a good make and where I can buy one from.  :)

I have purchased a pedometer from Halfords and walked a 3 mile journey that I have measure in the car, but the pedometer only reads 1.7 miles, so that will be going back for a refund.  :(
Although I remain a keen erger - my wife calls it "fanatical" my doc has also strongly recommended a long distance walking program added to exercise regimen. I'm looking for a reliable pedometer that can be worn either on my belt or carried in a pocket. The key word is "reliable". The 4x3motion piece that I'm currently using just doesn't cut it. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance - Nick

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:10:45, 10/09/23 »
I would echo Stevieboy378 I use a Garmin in the same way. To be honest, I work out my routes in advance so know how long it is supposed to be. How long it actually turns out to be is not really of interest (unless I have got hopelessly lost/misdirected and it is many years since that happened!). Whenever I have walked with someone who has bought a pedometer, their result as to how far we have walked has never been anything like the actual distance, regardless of how much careful calibrating they have done. In my opinion, pedometers are a waste of time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:54:43, 10/09/23 »
I too use a GPS, a Garmin Etex 20, that I've had for over 10 years, newer models are now available. It has maps on it and I haven't carried paper maps since I got it.

I have it set to show distance travelled, distance to go, overall speed and ETA at destination.
Where there's a will ...

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:19:59, 10/09/23 »
...I’m looking for a reliable pedometer to use on a walk...

I agree with HappyHiker, pedometers are a waste of time, at least nowadays.
Speaking of which, that "technology" is even older than this thread - the last post was 15 years ago.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:13:23, 10/09/23 »
Since it has been brought up. I am also not sure what benefit there is in knowing how many steps you have taken, especially over ground that is irregular in terms of surface and gradient.  These days the distance covered, time taken and ascent/descent can all be measured with a comparable degree of accuracy.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 17:01:51, 10/09/23 »
Since it has been brought up. I am also not sure what benefit there is in knowing how many steps you have taken, especially over ground that is irregular in terms of surface and gradient.  These days the distance covered, time taken and ascent/descent can all be measured with a comparable degree of accuracy.

I don't pay much attention to step counts nowadays, but I have found them useful in the past.

I ought to stress though, that counting steps requires no effort on my part whatsoever. My watch counts and displays my steps whether or not it's recording an activity and Garmin displays the relevant data on my 'dashboard' anyway. So it's about knowing, not doing!

When I started using a watch to record my activities almost 8 years ago, my steps were recorded by default. During the setup, when Garmin asked for a daily steps target, I entered 10,000. From then on, I was told if I'd reached my target and, if so, for how many consecutive days - what Garmin calls a 'Goal Streak'.

So there I was always competing with my watch, because I didn't like having to start over again.  :-[

Lockdown increased my daily step count considerably, because I didn't have much else to do.

For me, 10,000 steps equates to around 6 miles, which was pretty easy to do each day, especially since I'd clock up about 2,000 of those steps just doing normal stuff.

I began my longest ever Goal Streak on 24th February 2020 and managed to do at least 10,000 steps every single day until the 1st August 2021 - 525 consecutive days. (I made the decision to stop there because I did 42 miles that day and I knew I had to stop sometime and so I decided to go out on a high.)

Since then, I've barely looked at my step counts (and they're of even less interest now that I've added cycling to my outdoor pursuits!).

But I do still glance at my monthly step totals chart because that gives me an extremely simplistic overview as to whether I'm maintaining my overall efforts. And really, that's how I've seen the daily step counts all along - for me, they've been a motivator to move even when I'm not doing an activity on that particular day, as well as being a simple summary of my overall efforts.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:18:24, 10/09/23 »
My navigation app keeps a log of distance and time.  That does for me.   O0 Even then, it is an idle curiosity thing as the figures have no bearing on what I do.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:29:10, 10/09/23 »

Years ago I thought of buying a pedometer. They all got poor reviews, so I saved my money. 15 years after this thread was started, a free smartphone app will give reasonable details.

EDIT: Just looked at page 1 of this thread and found reply #12 by howardfernlover which was me in an earlier incarnation  ;D .

I remain a keen erger - my wife calls it "fanatical"

Please don't think I'm being rude, but what is an erger? If it's a typo I can't work it out, nor can I find it online in urban slang etc.

« Last Edit: 17:38:27, 10/09/23 by fernman »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:59:38, 10/09/23 »
An Erg was (and presumably still is) the cgs unit if energy.  IIRC it was the energy required to raise one gram or cc of water 1°C.  The precursor of the Joule.
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:13:04, 11/09/23 »
It’s calories that are linked to the specific heat capacity of water. 1 calorie raises a gram of water by 1 degree (Celsius or Kelvin).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy