Author Topic: Decent waterproofs on the cheap  (Read 1730 times)

Cat

Decent waterproofs on the cheap
« on: 18:24:55, 08/10/08 »
I think, in an ideal world I'd like a Berghaus paclite set or similar, basically lightweight, breathable and waterproof (I know, the holy grail).  I really don't care if its not a woman's jacket as I'm quite tall and wear a medium man's.  Where can I get old models or a cheaper version?

the coot

Re: Decent waterproofs on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: 08:12:45, 09/10/08 »
Never used them
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Berghaus-Womens-Waterproof-Jackets.html
I've used these for the odd thing
http://www.mandmdirect.com/productlist.asp?PageNumber=1&
but I don't know which ones are paclite (being a Paramo person)
Have you thought about Event, there is quite allot of Montane stuff going reasonably right now also.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:20:45, 09/10/08 »
I have paclite jacket and trousers - a present - I don't usually splash out like that. They dry really quickly and have proved to be up to the job. The jacket is good but it will spend most of the time from now until March/April in the cupboard in favour of a more substantial, longer and warmer waterproof.

The trousers are pretty good but I try to avoid wearing full waterproofs unless it really lashes it down. Waterproof trousers feel a bit restricting of movement.

If you can only afford one waterproof I would go for a Mid-range breathable - more appropriate for through the year use.

Steelystan

« Reply #3 on: 10:45:39, 10/10/08 »
Surplus and Adventure claim to have ex-Navy (but new and unused) Goretex jackets for 19.99, but only in XXL (Hoorah!) - amazingly they are Navy blue.  About time somebody thought of me for a change.

SS
178/214.

Cat

« Reply #4 on: 19:16:09, 17/10/08 »
Well I went to try some jackets on today everything from mountain equipment, Rab and the rest and I really liked the berghaus paclite trek which has an amazing hood and water resistant zips etc, I also found myself quite drawn to a jack wolfskin jacket but it didn't have the obvious 'storm' features that the berghaus and I'm wary having never tried the brand, the material looked hard wearing and was more midrange in terms of weight.  My issue is that when its hamering with rain I'm normally very warm, I have to work hard to walk on a slope (I know must get fitter).  So anyway the saga continues, have found the paclite for 122.99 though so that's cool wish they had better colours though, the jack wolfskin is a fabulous green.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy