Author Topic: My first Scottish Walk What a great place.  (Read 1883 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
My first Scottish Walk What a great place.
« on: 23:03:25, 24/05/16 »

Firstly I wrote this up for a car forum I'm on, so forgive some of the references once i get to know folk on here better I will adjust future write ups.  Hope you enjoy my first humble attempts

The trip up was tedious. With a stop over in Liverpool, to see my old mum and mates.  Then it was off, via a stop at the Real food Cafe, for some delicious Fish and Chips, to Spean Bridge near Fort William, where some modest accommodation awaited.  This would be home for the next four days.

The next Morning it was time to park up at the North Face car park, in the rain. 

Then set off up the Track towards one of life's little tick boxes, for me, the Top of Ben  Nevis.  Just at the top of the tree line the rain started in earnest, so it was bag open and on with the foul weather gear and a quick snap shot.

As I walked up the valley towards the mighty mountain the view ahead looked foreboding rather than inviting and I considered heading around and up the less difficult track from Glen Nevis.

A look back and the valley, where the Zed is parked, has completely different weather.

No heading back today though and as I climbed further in to the heart of the Corrie at the foot of the Ben, the Weather showed brief glimpses that the route ahead was at least doable. 

At this point I had been heading up the left side of the Corrie to try and make my way around the head of the stream, that had been un-crossable at the usual crossing point of the CiC hut and then head up to the right towards the summit of the Ben.  A look around the corner of the buff and it was clear there was no way up there today. A wall of dangerous damp melting snow blocked any path.  Alas No pic.

So it was up the left side of the corrie at this point pretty steady if lung bursting stuff. 

However the 250m up the to the Arete it just got steeper and steeper with a spot of decent, if slightly intimidating free climbing at times on lose damp crumbling rock. (Never a chair lift when you need one) A few times I looked around and wanted a picture, but all points were needed to keep my feeble human frame pinned to the side of this king among British Mountains, which pleasantly changed the sleet and hail, into less painful snow, as I dragged my old limbs up on to the Arete bellow Carn Mor Dearg.

And finally a magical view of out over the North side of the range.  The photo really doesn't do it justice.

For the benefit of AlfaScozzesi this was the route up. Photo taken later on a long zoom, from the other side of the Allt bellow the hut , weather had improved a lot by then  too.

From the Arete I climbed into the clouds and mist and have to say it was a slog up the last 350m.  It was well worth it though, as the snow of the summit plateau made the going far easier, if difficult to navigate.  I suddenly realized there were no other foot prints and immediately thought.  This is the top of Ben Nevis there should be foot prints, I'm going the wrong way, there are 1500ft drops in several directions and I can only see 30 yards. An instant stop, quick map and Compass check and I adjusted my course by 90 degrees and the summit Cairn finally emerged from the white out.  It had only been 60 or 70 yards away, but in these conditions it may as well have been 20 miles away. (Take care if your ever up there)

A very happy BuzyG.  So much for hords, one young guy turned up after 5 minutes and took this photo.

The top was quite a spooky spot, but with the wind dropping and the mist gradually thinning a little I sat and ate lunch, in the shelter of the old weather station, 7 1/2 hours after leaving the car park.  Not another soul came up the whole time.

Another quick compass check and it was time to head down.  Within the first few 100m of the decent I dropped bellow the rising cloud base and was at last able to appriciate the truly stunning vista visible in all directions from Britains top. 

The valley bellow is where I had walked up earlier in the day and would now return.

The peak opposite is Carn Mor Dearg the 5th highest mountain in Britain, but just another hill from up here. LoL

The route down the pony track may be a boring walk, but the views are epic as they emerged bellow the cloud.

Halfway down now and off the tourist route again and heading back into the secluded splendour at the back of the mountain.

Well not totally secluded, I'm happy to report.  Did I mention the three wise deer.

I had picked a spot on the way up where I could get back accross the Allt a Mhuilinn, this wasn't it. just a pic I thought I'd share.

And finally as I headed back down the valley one last look back at the route that had looked very different in the morning sleet.

Happy to See the Car waiting for me in the car park, 12 hours after setting off.

Then the hardest part of the day.  Manoeuvring the Zed back down the forest track to the main road..  :wink:

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Re: My first Scottish Walk What a great place.
« Reply #1 on: 07:45:56, 25/05/16 »
Very nice. O0

Pics bring back good memories.

I'm guessing the snow up on top will last well into June!

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:50:16, 25/05/16 »
Great report BuzyG with some nice photos.  Nice car too!  The last time I went up Ben Nevis was in 1979, although I did it the easy way from Glen Nevis.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:33:47, 25/05/16 »
Great report BuzyG with some nice photos.  Nice car too!  The last time I went up Ben Nevis was in 1979, although I did it the easy way from Glen Nevis.

Thanks!

The last time I had seen it was in 1980, on the way home from J o G, on my push bike. Thought about going up that evening.  Quite glad I left it until now, in many ways.  May have been dismist to the memory, as a youthfúl stroll buy now.  Instead I had to work my old but off to get up on to that ridge.  That one is never going to fade away.

That said climbing to the top of Britain is an great achivement for any one at any age.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:40:44, 26/05/16 »
Hello,
Good to see that you have seen the grand side of the Ben  :) It is always exciting to be on that side.
Ian Evans wide angle image of the Ben ridges and crags is as good as any I have come across....I purchased one a few years back and this sits above may PC as I type.  I believe that he had to make several visits on a few mid-summer days to get the right conditions for his image taken from Carn Dearg Mheadhonach.  Next time you might get better weather conditions. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy