Author Topic: Rhinog Fawr  (Read 2295 times)

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Rhinog Fawr
« on: 11:15:57, 18/04/09 »
Had a fantastic walk up Rhinog Fawr.Although they aren't the highest mountains the terrain is very different and so you still feel like you've had a good climb.It has a lovely remote feel.Just watch out for the man eating heather hehe as I found out when i lost my balance and landed elbow and knee deep in a bog..nice.Parked at Llyn Cwm Bychan and ascended via the Roman Steps which made the first half of the ascent a whole lot easier(if only they'd built them all the way up to the top ;D).From there we turned right and climbed up a narrow rocky path to the lovely Lyn Ddu.It was a lovely place to stop for lunch,very peaceful.We then had a bit of a scramble along some large rocks to reach the far side of the lake at which point a fabulous view opened up.To one side was the whole of Northern Snowdonia..Snowdon,Carneddau,Glyders and the Lleyn Peninsular.On the other side the Arenigs and Arans were in view.Its then a steep rocky climb upto the summit....at this stage time was ticking and we decided that as the view was so lovely already that there wouldn't actually be much to be gained from going to the top and so we set off back down another path towards the delightful Gloyw Llyn.I really had to try and concentrate and look where my feet were going as the view all the way down was just so fantastic, couldn't stop looking!!Decided to explore around the egde of the lake and came upon lovely little hidden camping spot!(I know it isn't the done thing to blab but frankly I don't care, i'm never gonna be brave enough to there so aren't bothered if someone else wants to use it!).There was a proper firepit with a stone wall for shelter and a nice dry flat space for pitching.I wish I was breave enough as it would be an idyllic place to spend the night.From here we went down the wrong path(surprise surprise) and ended up in a bit of a pickle.Managed to come down too far to the left of where we should have been and after having to cross several boggy farmers fields and clamber over gates we finally arrived back at the carpark phew!!There was a campsite alongside the car park with several people just setting up for the night and it really was a nice place to be...beside the river looking along he lake with the mountains all around......perfect :).Here are a few pics

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: Rhinog Fawr
« Reply #1 on: 11:29:39, 18/04/09 »
Nice photo's Dizzy! O0 I've yet to visit the Rhinog range and judging by your photo's it looks like I'm missing out on some spectacular scenery! I will have to plan in a visit later this year, hopefully with good weather like you had. 8)
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Arenig

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:44:47, 18/04/09 »
Glad you enjoyed your walk in the Rhinogs Dizzy and great pics too. I did the full 25 mile traverse of the Rhinog range last year with three mates, wild camping one of the nights at Llyn Du. As you say it really is a beautiful place and we were also very lucky with the weather too. In fact we experienced a lovely cloud inversion on our second morning. Shame you didn’t have time to bag the summit, but I'm sure you'll be back there again sometime.
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:53:57, 18/04/09 »
Wow that sounds great Arenig, would love to explore more of the Rhinogs.Maybe one day when my sons old enough to be of some use(against ghosts, bears,wolves,badgers? ;D) then I shall be brave enough to go wildcamping myself and do something similar!!I would seriouly love to wake up in the mountains and see a sunrise/cloud inversion, I just know I would get all girly and scared once it went dark on me own ::).Will defo go back soon to bag the summit, fab place :)

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:34:30, 22/04/09 »
great photos dizzy sounds like you had a good day.the rhinogs are ace,my favourite way up them is from cwm nantcol,you could just do rhinog fawr from here but i like to add rhinog fach and y llethr as well,makes a great day,and as you say the views are tremendous.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:53:35, 27/04/09 »
I just know I would get all girly and scared once it went dark on me own

That's a relief, I thought I was the only one!!!  :-[

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy