Author Topic: Tarptent Notch Li dyneema 1 person tent review. Updated 2020 version.  (Read 5914 times)

April

• Veteran Member
More like a one person tent though, far too small for two people  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
More like a one person tent though, far too small for two people  :)
I see the strat 2 not the Li is
Floor Width: 52 in / 132 cm (floor widens to 62 in / 157 cm)
That's big enough ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
I see the strat 2 not the Li is
Floor Width: 52 in / 132 cm (floor widens to 62 in / 157 cm)
That's big enough

It is but we could get another Drift Custom and save a whole lot of money  ;)

Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
It is but we could get another Drift Custom and save a whole lot of money  ;)

Or make do with your Hubba Hubba and Southern Cross and save even more money!  :D ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

watershed

Or a Kyham compact 2 and save more money @£32 its only a pound per 100 grams, Bargain!
though I wouldn't care to lug it 15-20 miles a day for a couple of months in all weathers :)

watershed

Hi Wild Walking,
I found this review of the Notch Li.
It will be interesting to see if your long term review concurs.

https://backpackinglight.com/tarptent-notch-li-review-flash-jordan/

Ultralight camping also mentions the the Locus Gear Khufu DCF-B.
Which seems worth a look if you are into the ultimate light weight pyramid shelter.

https://locusgear.com/items/khufu-dcf-b/?lang=en

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Interesting in depth review from backpacking light, Watershed
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Litehiker

Watershed,
I have the optional hiking pole handle "sleeves" for my Notc hLi and yes, they will work with angled hiking pole handles.

Eric B.

jkm

@wildwalkinguk and others, just wondering if after the summer you had any further thoughts on this tent?
i guess that long term durability is my biggest worry.
are there any modifications you would be tempted to make?

what is the worst weather you have pitched in?

thanks.

i already have the stratospire 1 that i have been using for the last 4 years but am tempted to get a DCF tent as it will halve the weight and avoid the condensation issues that bug me at the moment

I've included a link to my review of Tarptents updated Notch Li walking pole supported dyneema one person tent. I have been using a Tarptent Stratospire Li two person tent for a while, when hiking with my family. And Love it. It's light weight enough to carry when camping on my own but it's sometimes hard to find a pitch for it due to it's large footprint. The Notch is still a good size for one person but smaller and even lighter weight. So when Tarptent updated it and made it much more suitable for UK condition, I just had to buy one. I wasn't disappointed and think it's the best tent I've ever used. If you don't walk with hiking poles you can buy tent poles to support it and it would still be a good weight.  https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/06/24/tarptent-notch-li/ [nofollow]

WILDWALKINGUK

Hi all. Happy New Year and thanks for your messages.
I slept in my Notch Li every night during my 1100 mile Dover to Cape Wrath walk - Link to first instalment; https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/07/14/the-north-downs-way/  I managed to wild camp in the tent every night, that's 52 continues nights. I loved the tent, it stood up well to the wind with only a small amount of flapping. The dyneema stays taught all night and doesn't sag when wet with condensation or rain. There's sufficient room in it and I was even just able to put all my gear inside the inner and still cook on occasions due to midgys in Scotland. It was so easy to put up and take down and didn't take up too much space, so I was able to camp in all sorts of places you wouldn't have been able to put the Drift, referred to on another message. My Notch Li is still in near perfect condition after the walk and I'll happily take it on another Thru Hike without worry. There's not another tent on the market that I would rather use. An amazing tent design and well made.
Could I just say, for your information; please beware of people using these forums to advertise either their own or their friends tents, I've seen replies/messages on here and other forums trying to do this. 
I purchased my Tarptent Notch Li with my own money and don't get any personal benefit from recommending it.

« Last Edit: 09:38:57, 04/01/21 by WILDWALKINGUK »

watershed

Watershed,
I have the optional hiking pole handle "sleeves" for my Notc hLi and yes, they will work with angled hiking pole handles.

Eric B.

Eric B
Only just noticed your comment, sorry for not replying sooner, many thanks for the information.

Hi all. Happy New Year and thanks for your messages.
I slept in my Notch Li every night during my 1100 mile Dover to Cape Wrath walk - Link to first instalment; https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/07/14/the-north-downs-way/  I managed to wild camp in the tent every night, that's 52 continues nights. I loved the tent, it stood up well to the wind with only a small amount of flapping. The dyneema stays taught all night and doesn't sag when wet with condensation or rain. There's sufficient room in it and I was even just able to put all my gear inside the inner and still cook on occasions due to midgys in Scotland. It was so easy to put up and take down and didn't take up too much space, so I was able to camp in all sorts of places you wouldn't have been able to put the Drift, referred to on another message. My Notch Li is still in near perfect condition after the walk and I'll happily take it on another Thru Hike without worry. There's not another tent on the market that I would rather use. An amazing tent design and well made.
Could I just say, for your information; please beware of people using these forums to advertise either their own or their friends tents, I've seen replies/messages on here and other forums trying to do this. 
I purchased my Tarptent Notch Li with my own money and don't get any personal benefit from recommending it.

Wildwalking many thanks for the review.

This will certainly be my next tent, when we eventually get rid of this virus!
I hope to do the TGO this year, if it isn't cancelled, that will be my Copper Spur 2 last outing on a multi day walk.
I will keep it for shorter walks where I can enjoy the space.
Started putting all my spare change in my Piggy bank.

Litehiker

MY NOTCH LI MODS"

1. 4 fly hem light nylon webbing stake loops (one layer of Dyneema repair tape under a larger layer of Tenacious Tape reinforcements where lops are seen on. Reinforcements are circles that are put over the edge of the fly hem so they form a half-circle on each side of the hem.

2. For some shade I dyed the inner tent green with RIT DyeMore dye for synthetic fabrics. Because I had to gather and securely tie the nylon fabric above the Dyneema floor to keep the Dyneema fabric out of the hot dye water. The side walls of the tent became "tie-dyed" with white and green stripes. So big deal, at least the upper areas are solid green and give some more shade. Plus it's "unique", decidedly different.

And yeah, i have the Tarptent pole handle "sleeves" too. When I talked to Tarptent owner Henry Shires he said it took him a while of experimenting to design these sleeves. I  appreciate the effort as I don't wand my pole handles and straps in the dirt and down where critters can chew on the sweat- salted grips.

Eric B.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy